• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trinnov Altitude / JBL SDP-75

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
Posted in the Altitude 16 review thread as well. Not sure if it's been posted, but these are the specs from the JBL SDP-75 manual. Supposedly the same DACs (and therefore performance?) across the Trinnov product lines.

Attachments

• 20210717_221314.jpg
    20210717_221314.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 139

Ellisr63

On the JBL SDP75, how many filters are available per channel... I want to do a 2 or 3 way crossover for my front 3 channels. Also are the bugs finally solved?

Last edited:

apgood

On the JBL SDP75, how many filters are available per channel... I want to do a 2 or 3 way crossover for my front 3 channels. Also are the bugs finally solved?
Not sure what bugs you are referring to unless you have SDP-75 mixed up with the SDP-55 which is based on the Arcam.

Being based on the Trinnov the SDP-75 has extensive capabilities related to available filters and active crossovers.

Ellisr63

Not sure what bugs you are referring to unless you have SDP-75 mixed up with the SDP-55 which is based on the Arcam.

Being based on the Trinnov the SDP-75 has extensive capabilities related to available filters and active crossovers.
I had thought all of the processors except the Trinova and Storm had bugs...thank you for clarifying that. Does it have the same filter capacity as the Trinnov? What are reasons to get the Trinnov over the SDP75? I am hoping that I can swing enough cash to get the Trinnov, but the SDP75 is much more in reach for me...henc3 wanting to know whatthe SDP75 lacks.

OP
DonH56

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The SDP-75 is a rebadged Trinnov Altitude 32 with speaker curves for a variety of Harman speakers added and a few features, like PEQ and remapping, removed. There's a list somewhere on ASR but I could not find it with a quick look. The only differences I remember are that the AEQ for Harman speakers and loss of 3D remapping and PEQ. Folks at Harman are on record as to why they feel those features are not relevant and could be harmful; again, you'd have to search for their reasoning (not on ASR).

All processors can have bugs, but Trinnov is pretty quick to find and fix them. Doing everything in software makes it easier, and having the resources to address problems quickly and over a (very) long product life is a huge bonus for me. No more "that's last year's model, buy this year's if you want that bug fixed or newer codecs". There are things that require hardware upgrades, like new video (HDMI) standards, but they offer HW updates as well.

I do not recall how many filters per channel, but have read of people using 50+, so "lots". As long as you have enough channels you can fairly easily set up a multidriver system, customizing the filters for each driver (or set of drivers, in groups).

I seem to recall an SDP-65 that was based on the Trinnov Altitude 16 platform but do not see it on the JBL website (?)

The SDP-55 is a different beast based on an entirely different company's platform.

I have no experience with Storm products.

HTH - Don

Ellisr63

The SDP-75 is a rebadged Trinnov Altitude 32 with speaker curves for a variety of Harman speakers added and a few features, like PEQ and remapping, removed. There's a list somewhere on ASR but I could not find it with a quick look. The only differences I remember are that the AEQ for Harman speakers and loss of 3D remapping and PEQ. Folks at Harman are on record as to why they feel those features are not relevant and could be harmful; again, you'd have to search for their reasoning (not on ASR).

All processors can have bugs, but Trinnov is pretty quick to find and fix them. Doing everything in software makes it easier, and having the resources to address problems quickly and over a (very) long product life is a huge bonus for me. No more "that's last year's model, buy this year's if you want that bug fixed or newer codecs". There are things that require hardware upgrades, like new video (HDMI) standards, but they offer HW updates as well.

I do not recall how many filters per channel, but have read of people using 50+, so "lots". As long as you have enough channels you can fairly easily set up a multidriver system, customizing the filters for each driver (or set of drivers, in groups).

I seem to recall an SDP-65 that was based on the Trinnov Altitude 16 platform but do not see it on the JBL website (?)

The SDP-55 is a different beast based on an entirely different company's platform.

I have no experience with Storm products.

HTH - Don
Thank you very much for the info...if I can I will go for the Trinnov...if not I might go for the SDP75...I def need at least 16 channels of output, and bi/tri amp capability, so I can eliminate my Xilica, and Minidsp DDRC88As. The SDP75 has Auro3d just like the Altitude, correct?.

laidick

Forum Donor
I believe Alt16 could manage hi/low separately as 2 channel to 1 speaker. (Assuming the speaker has
But what will be the benefit of this v.s. using 1 channel to 1 speaker?

I am about to get Alt16 and thinking how to use the most from it for my 7.4.4 system.

Probably biamp the LCR, then 4 subwoofers manage by 1 minidsp.
Then the remaining 8 , total 15 only.

Any good suggestion ? Thanks.

Mark HT

On the JBL SDP75, how many filters are available per channel... I want to do a 2 or 3 way crossover for my front 3 channels.

From the alt16 manual:

If you want to use the active crossovers of the Altitude16, you must use the speaker
configuration table to:
Specify the type of amplification: bi-amp, tri-amp or quad-amp;
Specify the crossover frequency.
The parameters related to crossover settings are the following:
• Amplification: sets the number of ways of the speaker in case of multi-amplification;
• Low freq cut-off: sets the crossover frequencies;
• for bi-amp, it is set at 2kHz by default;
• for tri-amp, they are set at 200Hz and 2kHz by default;
• for quad-amp, they are set at 200Hz, 2kHz and 20kHz by default.

Manual located here: https://www.trinnov.com/en/products/altitude16/#Downloads

Mark HT

I believe Alt16 could manage hi/low separately as 2 channel to 1 speaker. (Assuming the speaker has
But what will be the benefit of this v.s. using 1 channel to 1 speaker?

I am about to get Alt16 and thinking how to use the most from it for my 7.4.4 system.

Probably biamp the LCR, then 4 subwoofers manage by 1 minidsp.
Then the remaining 8 , total 15 only.

Any good suggestion ? Thanks.

My only suggestion would be to try .2 on the subwoofers directly from the altitude first. That's what I'm going to do. If you don't get the result you're after then try the minidsp or wait to see what Trinnov come up with for multi sub optimisation. (they are working on something as far as I know)

Olli

Forum Donor
Altitude16 Now Supports 20 Discrete Optimized Channels

Enabling this feature on the Altitude16 presented a challenge and required some creativity. One of Trinnov’s engineers suggested converting the Toslink output of the Altitude16 to ADAT. ADAT is a well-known transport protocol in the professional and production music industry that allows the carriage of four channels at up to 96 kHz. With this approach, Altitude owners can enable four extra outputs with the addition of a simple external D/A converter.

On all Altitude32 models, these extra outputs will be available via the built-in AES/EBU outputs.

“For both Altitude models, our customers will need to source a Digital / Analogue converter. By enabling 4 extra outputs free of charge through a simple software update, this upgrade not only opens new perspectives but also enables dramatic audio improvements within a lower budget,” concludes Arnaud Laborie.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Altitude16 Now Supports 20 Discrete Optimized Channels
A tip of the hat to Trinnov for offering this upgrade to it's customers.
I'm sure many will appreciate the ability to expand their system to 4 more channels without having to purchase a new unit.
Cheers

Larryfl1

Hi all, on the verge of moving forward with a spd-75… is there any hardware update happening soon that its worth waiting on ? Or alititude 32 changing?

also what is the reason for excluding the remapping..i was thinking that would be great to have but spd-75 from above says its removed… thoughts on why?

OP
DonH56

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hi all, on the verge of moving forward with a spd-75… is there any hardware update happening soon that its worth waiting on ? Or alititude 32 changing?

also what is the reason for excluding the remapping..i was thinking that would be great to have but spd-75 from above says its removed… thoughts on why?

Trinnov announced a new HDMI 2.1 board last year, not sure the status, ask your dealer if it is included in your SDP-75. It was to be offered to existing owners but I have not followed up (not a gamer on my HT system so not critical to me).

Dr. Toole among others argued against remapping as adversely affecting the sound. I don't remember all the reasons why now; I exchanged emails with he and Kevin V about it several years ago and ultimately decided I could live without it.

There is a list somewhere in this thread, I think, on the other differences between the SDP-75 and Trinnov Altitude 32.

HTH - Don

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't recall if it was posted or not, but I enquired about the full list of speakers that the SDP-75 would do speaker based EQ for and thought I would post it here. What I find interesting is the lack of newer revel speakers. This was some time ago and there could be more added by now. The SDP-75 would make a lot of sense if going with JBL some of the speakers here such as the 708i/705i, M2 or SCL in walls.
Are any of the owners here using the speaker EQ available on the SDP-75?

C205
C208
C783
DD67000
F208 LW
Gem2
JBL 4367
LSR705i
LSR708i
M2 HF
M2 LF
M16
M106
Salon2
SAM1HF
SAM2LF
SCL-1
SCL-2
SCL-3
SCL-4
SCL-5
SCL-6
SCL-7
SCL-8
Studio2
Voice2
W783
W890

OP
DonH56

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I am (Salon2, Voice2 -- the M80XC's and subs are on their own ;) ).

Olli

Forum Donor
1703332195510.png

Lates firmware update now with Pre-Ringing Reduction

Top Bottom