• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Model 30

Mr.XO

I just bought the Marantz model 30 and I'd like to give a few impressions. I know it's a cliche but it's wholly true that Marantz is easy to listen to and embodies a rich warmth, elegant midrange, and silky smooth highs which are never crunchy or gritty, and never at the expense of detail. Truly a masterpiece for those who are tired of fatiguing 'in your face' presentations. Looking at you Cambridge. :) The Marantz allows you to listen INTO the music which comes across balanced from top to bottom and lets you make discoveries as you listen. The result is you become a part of the music rather than just being an observer. You get drawn in rather than being inundated. Marantz seems to understand how some people like to hear music and the Model 30 is a strong punchy warm smooth detailed clean sounding amp. A complete and beautiful musical experience that does not irritate. The Model 30 is an excellent isolated amplifier\preamp living in one box. - (Of course this is my $3,500 Canadian talking!) :)

Hello @rlwings - Thanks for sharing your impressions!
Was wondering what speakers you have the M30 paired with?

rlwings

Hello @rlwings - Thanks for sharing your impressions!
Was wondering what speakers you have the M30 paired with?
You're welcome... I am using the ELAC UniFi UF5's floor-standers. I am also using Dirac room correction and a Topping D90SE DAC and the result is out of this world imaging and truly beautiful. (Yes I am a digital guy, but the Marantz comes with an excellent built in phono preamp).

Snoopy

Major Contributor
The price in Japan is a lot nicer too, €2150 without tax so €2360 with tax included.

Really? Saw the amp at some German retailers for a whopping 3199€.

2360€ would be pretty reasonable considering its class D.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I just bought the Marantz model 30 and I'd like to give a few impressions. I know it's a cliche but it's wholly true that Marantz is easy to listen to and embodies a rich warmth, elegant midrange, and silky smooth highs which are never crunchy or gritty, and never at the expense of detail. Truly a masterpiece for those who are tired of fatiguing 'in your face' presentations. Looking at you Cambridge. :) The Marantz allows you to listen INTO the music which comes across balanced from top to bottom and lets you make discoveries as you listen. The result is you become a part of the music rather than just being an observer. You get drawn in rather than being inundated. Marantz seems to understand how some people like to hear music and the Model 30 is a strong punchy warm smooth detailed clean sounding amp. A complete and beautiful musical experience that does not irritate. The Model 30 is an excellent isolated amplifier\preamp living in one box. - (Of course this is my $3,500 Canadian talking!) :)
:facepalm:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Ok, but to be fair I did buy a Topping D90SE DAC based on it's fantastic measurements so I guess I have a foot in both camps. :)
I only gave you the facepalm for all the flowery descriptions of it's sound quality, sounded like something out of What's Best Forum or TAS, not ASR. ;)
I'm quite happy that this unit is reported to also measure well. Even though true corporate ownership of Sound United is somewhat murky, I feel good that the company that carries the name of Saul Marantz is once again making products that he would be proud of.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, you have both feet in one camp without even knowing it. Turns out that Model 30 (and NC500 OEM) also measures quite good.;)
Actually the Marantz Model 30 implementation of the NC500 OEM modules lowered their SINAD to about 75 according to Stereophile's measurements, which is a shame, since a top implementation such as Vera Audio P400/1000 of the same modules has SINAD about 101...

I suspect the decreased SINAD comes from the power supply noise at -75dB as can be seen in Fig. 4, and probably caused by the linear power supply toroid in the middle, even shielded with the steel cup.

mz_model30_u_n_b_topopen_001_hi.png

https://www.stereophile.com/content/marantz-model-30-integrated-amplifier-measurements

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-class-d-amp-build-quality.9895/#post-274364

Last edited:

rlwings

I only gave you the facepalm for all the flowery descriptions of it's sound quality, sounded like something out of What's Best Forum or TAS, not ASR. ;)
I'm quite happy that this unit is reported to also measure well. Even though true corporate ownership of Sound United is somewhat murky, I feel good that the company that carries the name of Saul Marantz is once again making products that he would be proud of.
Lol, yes, I was thinking as I wrote that post that it sounded like some sort of advertisement for Marantz. I just couldn't help myself. :) - Anyway, I got the facepalm and took it as it was meant. All good.

rlwings

Actually the Marantz Model 30 implementation of the NC500 OEM modules lowered their SINAD to about 75 according to Stereophile's measurements, which is a shame, since a top implementation such as Vera Audio P400/1000 of the same modules has SINAD about 101...

I suspect the decreased SINAD comes from the power supply noise at -75dB as can be seen in Fig. 4, and probably caused by the linear power supply toroid in the middle, even shielded with the steel cup.

View attachment 144773

https://www.stereophile.com/content/marantz-model-30-integrated-amplifier-measurements

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-class-d-amp-build-quality.9895/#post-274364
Sure, burst my bubble why don't you, lol... Anyway, it's the best sounding amp I've ever owned and makes me feel really good every time I listen to it. So transparent and 'real' sounding. :) I think my Topping D90SE DAC helps make it sing!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, ASR facts and numbers can make us cold hearted hahaha. Enjoy your amp and don't let us ruin your fun! :)

LostArk

Sure, burst my bubble why don't you, lol... Anyway, it's the best sounding amp I've ever owned and makes me feel really good every time I listen to it. So transparent and 'real' sounding. :) I think my Topping D90SE DAC helps make it sing!

Don't worry about naysayers, I agree with your assessment and what you hear. The reason SINAD is worse on the Ncore Marantz units than DIY kits isn't because of noise from the linear power supply, it has to do with how Marantz tunes them. Marantz is not going for flat neutrality—they have a house sound (similar to what you described earlier). Putzeys has said himself that such tricks by amp makers can in fact sound "nicer and more impressive" than a straight wire with gain. The Marantz units with Ncore sound dramatically more impressive than the DIY kits, even if their SNR is worse. It's not a subtle difference, and a case study in having the right attitude towards measurements vs. trusting your ears.

Snoopy

Major Contributor

As long as it sounds good I wouldn't care about number's.
And you got it for a good price.

Other manufacturers of hifi equipment use ncore as well and tune them differently.

gaburko

I am planning to pull the trigger on the Model 30 and measurements and subjective opinions here seem to be quite positive. From the owners here, what are some of the negatives of the amp? I currently have a Rega Elicit R, however it suffers from the well-known overheating.

I was initially looking at the pm-ki ruby, but it has no pre-out and I don't see a way to hook up my sub to it

rlwings

I am planning to pull the trigger on the Model 30 and measurements and subjective opinions here seem to be quite positive. From the owners here, what are some of the negatives of the amp? I currently have a Rega Elicit R, however it suffers from the well-known overheating.

I was initially looking at the pm-ki ruby, but it has no pre-out and I don't see a way to hook up my sub to it
I love my Marantz Model 30 and I am also using a sub. Be aware that of course you need to crossover using the sub's crosover adjustment knob. Mine only goes down to 50Hz which means I am doubling up on bass between my mains and the sub from 50Hz to 35Hz. Dirac room correction took care of that although it's not really ideal... The only negative I can think of is that this amp is extremely detailed and a bit foreword in the midrange. So watch bright speakers! - I'm using Elac UF5's which are a bit rolled off in the high-end so the result is quite neutral and very nice. Otherwise a fantastically transparent and exciting amp. Especially with well recorded digital hi-res files, wow! - Also, get it soon because I see a planned price increase beginning Aug 15th by $500 Canadian. :\

gaburko

So watch bright speakers! - I'm using Elac UF5's which are a bit rolled off in the high-end so the result is quite neutral and very nice. Otherwise a fantastically transparent and exciting amp. Especially with well recorded digital hi-res files, wow! - Also, get it soon because I see a planned price increase beginning Aug 15th by $500 Canadian. :\

Thank you! I am using the KEF R3s with a SVS SB-2000 Pro. Re price, it's interesting what you say, it's currently at a 20% discount at my retailer (here in Switzerland it's currently priced at CHF2800 which is roughly EUR 2600)

itchy fingers! :)

rlwings

Thank you! I am using the KEF R3s with a SVS SB-2000 Pro. Re price, it's interesting what you say, it's currently at a 20% discount at my retailer (here in Switzerland it's currently priced at CHF2800 which is roughly EUR 2600)

itchy fingers! :)
You're lucky. Get it now before they raise the price in your country! - You won't be sorry. It's absolutely terrific! - Even the remote is made out of metal and has a good weight to it. The whole thing just feels classy. :)

Top Bottom