• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Comparing Revel F208 and F228Be

doug

Hi - I'll preface this by saying that I don't post much here, but that I learn a lot from reading the posts here. So much so that I am a bit hesitant to ask this question, for fear I'll be beaten up for coming at this in a qualitative, non-measurement-based way. So thanks in advance for your patience.

Background - I currently have a Benchmark stack (DAC3, HPA4, AHB2 monos, going on 3 years). I stream via Qobuz hi-res, and use a pair of PSB X2T towers. The listening space is somewhat unique - it's an open 2nd floor suspended loft area (about 20' wide x 18' deep) that opens up over a much larger lower level that is 40' wide by 20' deep (and then there is more open space under the loft where the open kitchen area is). The ceiling is 90 deg. A-frame (shared by the loft and main level) that goes up 30' from the main level, and the vertical side L-R walls of the main lower level are about 9.5-10' tall before they intersect the downward slope of the ceiling. The audio system is set up on the far back wall of the loft area with the speakers positioned about 30" from the back wall, about 13' apart, with the right speaker being positioned maybe 2' from the right wall of the loft area (the left wall is much farther away as there is an open stairwell on that side that opens up to the lower level. A listening chair in the loft is positioned midway between the speakers (which are slightly toed in), about 13' from each speaker. Hope that all makes sense.

So it's a pretty big, open space. And the unexpected aspect to it is that we can sit down in the lower level near the far wall (or most anywhere down there) and achieve surprisingly good audio volume and clarity - something about how the acoustics appear to work well in this space. I listen to mostly jazz, with some other music types in there too (rock, R&B/funk, some acoustic and classical).

I feel that while the X2Ts deliver a LOT for what I paid for them, they seem to be a bit underpowered (if that's the right word) for this use case. I find myself wishing for more sound texture and impact and depth - not more bass per se (although that would be OK) but more of everything. I can increase the volume and start to achieve that in the lower level, but things start to get pretty loud. In the loft listening chair, it's better, but I still find myself yearning for a bit "more", and that's difficult for me to quantify. There is "more" to the output of the Benchmark gear than I'm getting with the speakers, because I can hear it when I'm using my Senn HD800S 'phones with the HPA4. That is just amazing.

One more thing - we live in the middle of nowhere, and there are no brick and mortar audio stores anywhere close that a full day's drive away. So an audition means "buy it and try it".

After doing a lot of reading (especially here, and other places), I've gravitated towards the Revel F208 and F228Be speakers as possible upgrades. $5K vs $10K for the pair. Fairly big difference in price, and I'm trying to get a handle on the "is it worth it and will I hear the difference" question. I'd like to upgrade my speakers to perhaps better match the capabilities of the Benchmark stack.

If you've made it this far, thanks, and at this point I'd be grateful for opinions and suggestions.

Last edited:

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If there's a store / dealer within road trip distance you could make an overnight or weekend getaway out of it. Potentially saving $5k plus a little adventure could be well worth the time invested.

OP
D

doug

If there's a store / dealer within road trip distance you could make an overnight or weekend getaway out of it. Potentially saving $5k plus a little adventure could be well worth the time invested.

I actually don't think there is one that close, and I'd still want to hear them in the environment here, using the gear I have.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Revel F208 is the point where Floor standers diminishing returns hit like a hammer.

Are there any subwoofers in the setup currently?

OP
D

doug

The Revel F208 is the point where Floor standers diminishing returns hit like a hammer.

Are there any subwoofers in the setup currently?

No - none.

I'm not sure I understand "diminishing returns hit like a hammer"? Are you saying that the F208 really doesn't deliver what its price might imply?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No - none.

I'm not sure I understand "diminishing returns hit like a hammer"? Are you saying that the F208 really doesn't deliver what its price might imply?

it's the other way around, above the F208 Speakers stop delivering what the price might imply.

My advice is to get 4 subwoofers (one in each corner of the room) and the Revel F208, that is if you can't get the F228be + 4 subwoofer due to budget.

the multiple subwoofers will provide a much more enjoyable experience imo than slightly better speakers (specially since the room will fuck everything anyway).

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
After doing a lot of reading (especially here, and other places), I've gravitated towards the Revel F208 and F228Be speakers as possible upgrades.
Myself and several others on this forum are combining Benchmark electronics with Revel speakers .
Your electronics is state of the art, and in my opinion (I am a Salon2 owner) Revel speakers is a great choice.
Maybe you could consider a second hand pair of Studio2 or Salon2 as well (I am not selling mine :)).
If so, hifishark may be useful for you.

Sennheiser HD 800 are excellent headphones by the way.

Good luck!

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi - I'll preface this by saying that I don't post much here, but that I learn a lot from reading the posts here. So much so that I am a bit hesitant to ask this question, for fear I'll be beaten up for coming at this in a qualitative, non-measurement-based way. So thanks in advance for your patience.

Background - I currently have a Benchmark stack (DAC3, HPA4, AHB2 monos, going on 3 years). I stream via Qobuz hi-res, and use a pair of PSB X2T towers. The listening space is somewhat unique - it's an open 2nd floor suspended loft area (about 20' wide x 18' deep) that opens up over a much larger lower level that is 40' wide by 20' deep (and then there is more open space under the loft where the open kitchen area is). The ceiling is 90 deg. A-frame (shared by the loft and main level) that goes up 30' from the main level, and the vertical side L-R walls of the main lower level are about 9.5-10' tall before they intersect the downward slope of the ceiling. The audio system is set up on the far back wall of the loft area with the speakers positioned about 30" from the back wall, about 13' apart, with the right speaker being positioned maybe 2' from the right wall of the loft area (the left wall is much farther away as there is an open stairwell on that side that opens up to the lower level. A listening chair in the loft is positioned midway between the speakers (which are slightly toed in), about 13' from each speaker. Hope that all makes sense.

So it's a pretty big, open space. And the unexpected aspect to it is that we can sit down in the lower level near the far wall (or most anywhere down there) and achieve surprisingly good audio volume and clarity - something about how the acoustics appear to work well in this space. I listen to mostly jazz, with some other music types in there too (rock, R&B/funk, some acoustic and classical).

I feel that while the X2Ts deliver a LOT for what I paid for them, they seem to be a bit underpowered (if that's the right word) for this use case. I find myself wishing for more sound texture and impact and depth - not more bass per se (although that would be OK) but more of everything. I can increase the volume and start to achieve that in the lower level, but things start to get pretty loud. In the loft listening chair, it's better, but I still find myself yearning for a bit "more", and that's difficult for me to quantify. There is "more" to the output of the Benchmark gear than I'm getting with the speakers, because I can hear it when I'm using my Senn HD800S 'phones with the HPA4. That is just amazing.

One more thing - we live in the middle of nowhere, and there are no brick and mortar audio stores anywhere close that a full day's drive away. So an audition means "buy it and try it".

After doing a lot of reading (especially here, and other places), I've gravitated towards the Revel F208 and F228Be speakers as possible upgrades. $5K vs $10K for the pair. Fairly big difference in price, and I'm trying to get a handle on the "is it worth it and will I hear the difference" question. I'd like to upgrade my speakers to perhaps better match the capabilities of the Benchmark stack.

If you've made it this far, thanks, and at this point I'd be grateful for opinions and suggestions.
I think your space is a problem. Generally, the best sound is had from a triangular listening arrangement away from walls. If you're dozens of feet away in another room where the sound is carried by reflecting off of walls, all bets are off.

I'd get the F208 and buy $5k worth of Bitcoin with the savings. Not investment advice.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could probably find a pair of F208s used on Hi-Fi Shark for not much more than $3k, maybe less. Add 2-3 Rhythmik or SVS subs, and a miniDSP Shd Studio for crossover, EQ, and Dirac, and you'll be shockingly close to the best money can buy. All for less than a pair of F228be's.

Top Bottom