• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Oppo PM3 Review (Closed Back Headphone)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Oppo PM3 closed back planar magnetic headphone. It is on kind loan from a member. The PM3 is discontinued but seems to have quite a following and hence the reason I wanted to test it. Originally it cost US $399 but I see used prices from $500 up to $800. Typical of Oppo products, it holds its value well and even appreciates!

I am not a fan of the look of the cups but otherwise, there is a nice luxury feel and look to this headphone especially in white:

Oppo PM3 Review closed back planar magnetic Headphone.jpg

A 3.5 mm cable connects at both ends which is convenient. Note however that you need a slim fitting one at the headphone side. The cable supplied has a larger one at one end which would not fit right on the headphone until I reversed it.

The cups are small and I can feel them on my ears. The softness of the super supple pads help. Width and length of the cup inside dimensions are 60x40mm. Depth is 20mm.

Noise isolation is very good. It would block almost 80% of the noise from my Audio Precision's fan. Best noise cancelling headphones land at 95%+ and less good ones at 90% so this is very good.

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

Fitment on the fixture was challenging even though the cups easily covered the artificial ear on my measurement fixture. This resulted in fairly large variations in bass response. I got the two channels to match which is a good sign but still, keep in mind the cautions above in bold.

Oppo PM3 Measurements
As usual we start with the headphone frequency response as comparison to our preference curve:

Oppo PM3 Frequency Response Measurement Headphone.png

First thing that stands out is the hump between 60 and 300 Hz. Other measurements show it less pronounced. And if I lowered the levels, I could make it less so even here. Listening tests have to confirm whether it is this exaggerated or not. Below and above this hump, we have surprisingly good compliance with our target. Response is "dirty" however with a number of kinks, likely caused by resonances. We have a bit of deficiency between 3 and 4 kHz and exaggerated peak around 7 to 8 kHz. Overall, this is not half bad. :)

Here is the relative response for equalization purposes:

Oppo PM3 relative Frequency Response Measurement Headphone.png

Distortion is exceptionally low at bass frequencies especially as we consider that we already have enough or even too much energy there:

Oppo PM3 Relative THD vs Frequency Response Measurement Headphone.png

Unfortunately there are a lot of resonant peaks in higher frequencies. These could be the driver, the enclosure, or both. If you go back to the frequency response measurements, you can see traces of the same there.

Here it is in absolute log form:
Oppo PM3 THD vs Frequency Response Measurement Headphone.png

Group delay doesn't tell us much except maybe confirming a resonance around 2 kHz:

Oppo PM3 Group Delay Frequency Response Measurement Headphone.png

Impedance is flat and low like most planar magnetics:

Oppo PM3 Impedance Measurement Headphone.png

Sensitivity is above average so should not be hard to drive:
Most efficient headphone tested.png

Oppo PM3 Listening Tests and Equalization
Some people accuse me of liking "bass." There is no better proof of this being wrong than me saying I did not at all like the bass response in the PM3. It is bloated. What I like is sub-bass response where there is almost never too much of a good thing. :) What is here is way too much and too high of a frequency which overwhems the tonality of the rest of the headphone. Add to that the lack of lower treble energy and the sound is not to my liking at all. Everything you play has some amount of "hmmmm" bass to it, whether it should or not.

So I pulled out the EQ and went after the three area of concern:

Oppo PM3 Equalization EQ Headphone.png

Once again I used dual filters to shape the response for bass (and amounts visually adjusted and hence the fractions). Measurements were correct in the level and magnitude of bass error. With this correct, deep bass is now a delight and the rest of the tonality gets to shine, well with the addition of the two filters.

Spatial qualities are good post EQ. I give it B+.

I am still listening them as I type this -- a sign of being happy with the sound of the headphone. :)

Conclusions
It is always nice to test "iconic" products and the Oppo PM3 is one. I can see some of the appeal it has in compliance with the Harman target in sub-bass and midrange. Exceptionally low distortion in bass helps with the clarity and clean sound here. This said, I can't listen to it without EQ. There is just too much boominess and missed sparkle in the lower treble.

I am happy to recommend the Oppo PM3 with Equalization. It is a pass for me without but it is not offensive for every day listening like some headphones are.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Oppo PM3 Frequency Response.zip
    24.9 KB · Views: 152

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
To import this PEQ profile into 'Equalizer APO', use:
Preamp: -3.9 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 100 Hz Gain -6.0 dB Q 2.0
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 132 Hz Gain -3.6 dB Q 1.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 3300 Hz Gain 4.0 dB Q 2.0
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 7240 Hz Gain -5.1 dB Q 4.0
Otherwise, see my PEQ guide.
..................................................................................................................
For those who don't have PEQ-capable app, and want to use GEQs instead:
See my GEQ guide for 10-band, 31-band, and 127-band GEQ profiles.

Last edited:

TheHighContemplator

Thanks for the review, @amirm . If you had to pick a rival in this price range that performs better, which would you choose?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
innerfidelity-Oppo-PM3.jpg
Raw response seem way too different. And I certainly don't hear peak in the low frequency or high frequency range. One can check using tone generator and sweep across the range.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
From Tyll: https://www.stereophile.com/content/oppo-pm-3-competent-comfortable-mobile-headphone-measurements

"It's worth mentioning at this point that I have now measured three PM-3s. The first one seemed to have erratic behavior at around 6-9kHz. I received a second pair for measurement some months after the first pair; this second pair did measure differently and did not exhibit the behavior. I then grew concerned because I didn't know if I was seeing an early sample that wasn't quite up to snuff or poor manufacturing tolerances, so I requested a third pair be overnighted to me. The third pair did quite closely match the performance of the second pair. My feeling is that I just receive an early pair the first time and manufacture had not been quite dialed in. All charts are available to view: Sample A; Sample B; and Sample C. "

Regardless, I noted in the review that the response is quite variable based on how you mount it.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
From Tyll: https://www.stereophile.com/content/oppo-pm-3-competent-comfortable-mobile-headphone-measurements

"It's worth mentioning at this point that I have now measured three PM-3s. The first one seemed to have erratic behavior at around 6-9kHz. I received a second pair for measurement some months after the first pair; this second pair did measure differently and did not exhibit the behavior. I then grew concerned because I didn't know if I was seeing an early sample that wasn't quite up to snuff or poor manufacturing tolerances, so I requested a third pair be overnighted to me. The third pair did quite closely match the performance of the second pair. My feeling is that I just receive an early pair the first time and manufacture had not been quite dialed in. All charts are available to view: Sample A; Sample B; and Sample C. "

Regardless, I noted in the review that the response is quite variable based on how you mount it.
My main concern was the raw response in the bass and the EQ in the higher frequencies.
As shown, the pair measured here does not have matching issue. So the erratic behavior Tyll mentioned doesn't really apply here.

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
The Oppo PM-3 is very poor regarding wear and tear (problems with the faux leather), confer reviews with images on Amazon.
The pads after 2 years according one of the Amazon reviewers of Oppo PM-3:
pad1.JPG

pad2.JPG

And the headband after 3 years use according to another Oppo PM-3 reviewer on Amazon:
headband.JPG

I had the exactly same problem as him with the headband (after 3 years use) of my Pioneer SE-Monitor5 (which I gave away after that), and (as he mentioned) tiny bits from the headband kept felling off in the hair, floor etc. (so it is not just the headband looks a little bit ugly).

I had the Sennheiser HD 800 for approximately 9 years and it was amazing regarding wear and tear (in addition to comfort and sound). Furthermore, Sennheiser seems to be very good regarding spare parts (confer their internet site). Thumbs up for Sennheiser! I replaced the Pioneer SE-Monitor5 with Sennheiser HD 820.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Koeitje

Major Contributor
The Oppo PM-3 is very poor regarding wear and tear (problems with the faux leather), confer reviews with images on Amazon.
The pads after 2 years according one of the Amazon reviewers of Oppo PM-3:
View attachment 144429
View attachment 144430

And the headband after 3 years use according to another Oppo PM-3 reviewer on Amazon:
View attachment 144431

I had the exactly same problem as him with the headband (after 3 years use) of my Pioneer SE-Monitor5 (which I gave away after that), and (as he mentioned) tiny bits from the headband kept felling off in the hair, floor etc. (so it is not just the headband looks a little bit ugly).

I had the Sennheiser HD 800 for approximately 9 years and it was amazing regarding wear and tear (in addition to comfort and sound). Furthermore, Sennheiser seems to be very good regarding spare parts (confer their internet site). Thumbs up for Sennheiser! I replaced the Pioneer SE-Monitor5 with Sennheiser HD 820.
Same issue here, the durability is ass. My headband isn't ruined completely like in the photo, because I bought a cover for it a while back, but it already has some peeling. Had to replace the pads though.

In terms of sound I don't hear the extra mid-bass, but there is some missing energy in the midrange and lower treble.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It clearly shows not all PM3 are created equal and substantial differences exist in the 150Hz area is my point.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir. I would never consider these with the increasing price, inconsistent measurements, rotting soft parts, and need for EQ, but glad other people enjoy them.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This could end up like the AKG K7XX thread. Everyone's an objectivist until it's their beloved gear that gets tested, then it's a case of 'can we really trust these particular results?'

I don't see a conflict. Measurement tells you a lot but unless you understand your own preference and how it relates to measurement then it doesn't really tell you whether you like something. It is entirely possible to like something and then consider its measurements and what that tells you about your own preference.

Top Bottom