• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL SRX835P Reviewed (Powered Monitor)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I took the time to listen to this speaker and added my notes to the review. I am very glad I did as you see:

Listening Test and Equalization
Speaker was too heavy to haul into my normal listening room. So I tried something new: setup a new station in my "lab" (very large garage) to listen to the speaker. I took it down using my lift so I decided to leave it on that so I could elevate it to any height. This turned out to be important. Speaker is in the center of this very large space which is filled with huge number of boxes and such, providing for rather normal reverberation time. The large volume always helps with room modes, pushing them lower in frequency and hence less bothersome.

At first I had the speaker aligned with the tweeter at ear height. Instant impression was "hey, this thing sounds good!' A few instances later, "but boy this tweeter can be sharp!" I brought out my EQ tool and tried to tailor the highs but without a lot of success. So I took advantage of my lift and raised the height so that the mid-range was at ear height. This did the trick together with a few filters:

index.php

I must say, I was not ready for the incredibly positive experience this speaker plus above EQ provided. The sound was clean, clean and dynamic. Without the EQ the bass and highs were emphasized. With the EQ in place, the sound was just sublime in that I could turn up the level really high and the speaker kept scaling up. At elevated volumes, I could then hear a lot more detail that I would often not hear in my tracks.

I have built a large playlist with sub-bass content I use for headphone testing. Usually they stress speakers too much so I only use them sparingly there. Man, where they made for the JBL SRX835P. The experience of hearing these tracks with this speaker, in this space was transformative! It was that good!

You don't believe me? Here is the wife evidence. Half-way through the testing my wife came into the garage. I expected an complaint about the sound level. What transpired was an impromptu dance session to what I was playing then, the famous Steely Dan's My Cousin Dupree:

Except for my Salon 2 speakers, I don't find this track to be hugely enjoyable. But boy, where they the case here. Every track in my headphone playlist sounded superb.

I think what is going on here is that smaller speakers must be increasing in distortion rapidly, causing one to not turn them up. And if you don't turn them up, then you don't enjoy the full dynamics and details in your music.

On directivity, the highs are extremely directional. At my listening distance of 7 to 10 feet, you have a few feet after which the highs drop off. Without EQ, this is not a bad thing as it removes the sharp highs. Interestingly, with EQ, the mid-range is more in charge and provides a wider dispersion and a much more more normal listening width.

Note that the tweeter generates hiss. It was audible in my space to about 3 feet. At my normal listening distance, it was not audible at all.

I cranked the speaker to max volume and even then, there was no hint of stress and distortion. I remember the now departed Greg Timbers of JBL bad mouthing Revel Speakers as being good enough for elevator music. As much as I disagree with him, I think in contrast to these types of JBL speakers, he may have a point. I had a similar epiphany when I listened to the JBL 708P and 4349.

It was an interesting sensation to have frequencies above bass cause physical vibrations in you body! :) Yes, listening at these levels for too long is not good for your hearing. But a few minutes of it put a smile on my face that I can't yet wipe.

drplinker

I didn't know the level of the hiss was on SRX835P (before purchase). If I knew better, I would have researched or compared to other similar speakers. The hiss on SRX835P is present, noticeable only in close range (within 12ft in my case) but not annoying. The cooling fan is louder than the hiss.

From what I know from JBL marketing, performance wise EON < PRX < SRX <VRX (active speakers). If so, I am guessing EON's hiss would, at the minimum be as much as SRX835P.

@amirm - do you have comments on hiss from SRX835P ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm - do you have comments on hiss from SRX835P ?
Yes, our posts crossed. The noise is definitely there at close distance but when listening at far distance, I could not hear it at all. This is not a dead quiet space though so maybe your situation was different.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Haven't heard them at all. What relevance does this question have to my comment?
You said “I'd expect for it is to sound good.” If you haven’t heard them at their intended use, how can you be sure that they don’t sound good? That is as clear as a relevance can get.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
…the interest of our visitors and membership as noted is to use pro products for "domestic" indoor use and it is with that lens that I evaluate them.
I wasn’t aware of such an interest. Thank you for explaining.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I took the time to listen to this speaker and added my notes to the review. I am very glad I did as you see:

Wow, really interesting listening impressions, and thanks for doing that. Really thought you were gonna dislike the super narrow dispersion, especially in mono. It seems like your love of dynamics may be greater than your love of wide dispersion.

These are no doubt some of the most dynamic speakers one can buy, especially for the price. Good to know the frequency response flaws are mostly fixable with EQ.

My experience re: volume/distortion with dynamic speakers like this is similar to yours. You can turn them up much louder without them sounding too loud. You almost don't notice how loud it is until you try to sing along or talk.

Tks

Major Contributor
You said “I'd expect for it is to sound good.” If you haven’t heard them at their intended use, how can you be sure that they don’t sound good? That is as clear as a relevance can get.

Yeah so, I'm not sure why I would need to hear it to know there are aspects that don't sound good. Unless of course you presume things like resonances, mid-range anemia, and tweeter performance being a bit meh - can qualify as something that most would summarize as "good things".

I'm not particularly fond of a company like JBL somewhat shooting in the dark and putting out something they assume would simply suffice. And as I said before, ESPECIALLY not for a price like that.

Also as I said, I'm not concerned with it's "intended use". Unless it's a use-case that doesn't involve ears, or a use-case that isn't some weapon. All speakers should sound good regardless of price. As price climbs (whether I've ever listened to it or not) I'd expect it to sound good (which is what I originally said).

Keith Conroy

Thanks again for all your work. Very enlightening input & review.. Seems to be opening a whole new world in some ways related to detail & dynamic range. I think efficiency and power have there place if things can be tamed?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks again for all your work. Very enlightening input & review.. Seems to be opening a whole new world in some ways related to detail & dynamic range. I think efficiency and power have there place if things can be tamed?
I think so. It is strange that Harman never explored this aspect of speaker design despite their strong interest given the JBL line. For a while JBL group management was in charge of the luxury line/Revel which should have given some motivation for this but did not happen.

levimax

Major Contributor

There is a reason large dynamic speakers like Altec A7's, Klipshorns, large JBL Horn loaded speakers and similar have such a following.... there really is no substitute for high SPL's and low distortion when trying to reproduce the dynamics in loud music. If you do the math on a 84 dB per watt sensitivity book shelf there is no way they can do it. The problem was and is refrigerator size speakers that cost as much as a car are not practical for most people. At least these speakers cost is somewhat reasonable .... WAF still has a ways to go though.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah so, I'm not sure why I would need to hear it to know there are aspects that don't sound good.
I guess that is the opposite of some audiophiles who do not accept the measurements and insist their ears are a better judge.

Thankfully @amirm is not like you and understands that human sense system can sometimes is a better instrument then NFS, as he demonstrated with his recent edit to this review.

Last edited:

JEarle

Forum Donor
I’m ready to get abuse for this, but these ‘pro’ speakers really aren’t that pro. They are more the crap mobile DJ’s use, or used for cheap ‘speaker on sticks’ gigs when sound quality really doesn’t matter. Even JBL Vertec wasn’t know for its sound quality, people accepted it on riders, sure, but it was very few peoples first choice on the true pro side. A12 / A8 is a far different (better beast).

Keith Conroy

There is a reason large dynamic speakers like Altec A7's, Klipshorns, large JBL Horn loaded speakers and similar have such a following.... there really is no substitute for high SPL's and low distortion when trying to reproduce the dynamics in loud music. If you do the math on a 84 dB per watt sensitivity book shelf there is no way they can do it. The problem was and is refrigerator size speakers that cost as much as a car are not practical for most people. At least these speakers cost is somewhat reasonable .... WAF still has a ways to go though.
I certainly agree with most of your post. However modern speaker designers have quite a few new tools in their tool boxes since the Altec A7's. Yes I'm aware of Hoffman's Iron law. However I'm also aware of some ground breaking research done related how we listen to things. The brain can be fooled., Yep Phys-co Acoustics. There are some very smart amplifiers available today also. They can monitor many things related to the speaker load in real time. Of course they can be programed and not just for EQ. I was a speaker design engineer for several companies through the years. I found a lot of very new things are a money & will to allow thing. This at least at the Corp. level. To rock the boat with very new concepts can be viewed as almost foolish at the Corp level. Of course there is the risk thing looming. Will the new concept make money and when? I think from the engineering side we have the ability to do much more then we do. I think the Corp will has to be there.
I have a friend that was designing for the government. They were working on speech intelligibility across large distances. This was secret stuff. So I didn't get to hear to much! However they were using modulated air. No speakers as we know them currently!

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm intrigued by the QSC CP8 active PA speaker which is dimensionally virtually the same size as the Kali LP-8/IN-8 and JBL 308P active monitors. It's designed for performances in small rooms so it would fit right into a home environment. Reviews of the CP8 say it has virtually inaudible hiss unless you put your ear right up to it. Best of all it's one of the few PA speakers that's actually been independently measured (by a German publication) and the graphs look pretty decent:

https://www.qsc.com/resource-files/articles/q_ar_livesound_prodpartnermag_cp8-ks112_review.pdf

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm intrigued by the QSC CP8 active PA speaker which is dimensionally virtually the same size as the Kali LP-8/IN-8 and JBL 308P active monitors. It's designed for performances in small rooms so it would fit right into a home environment. Reviews of the CP8 say it has virtually inaudible hiss unless you put your ear right up to it. Best of all it's one of the few PA speakers that's actually been independently measured (by a German publication) and the graphs look pretty decent:

https://www.qsc.com/resource-files/articles/q_ar_livesound_prodpartnermag_cp8-ks112_review.pdf
Interesting that in that review, the measurements are pretty close to this JBL:

1627539604383.png

Same boosted bass up to midrange and chewed up treble. Maybe they all know something? That bass is lost in open space so they try to goose it up?

Tom C

Major Contributor
OK. I have to weigh in.
I got a pair of JBL EON 610 with a pair of EON 618s, mounting poles, and a JDS Atom DAC. The whole kit ‘n kaboodle was maybe US$2,500. Intended use was my home treadmill. I got interested after I read Amir said the 615 was supposed the measure very well. I speculated that the 615 was for someone that wanted to get away with no subwoofer, or maybe one subwoofer, but if I got a pair of subs, I’d have gobs of bass, and the 610 woofer/mid would transition better to it’s tweeter vs. a 612 or 615.
When they first arrived, my wife was actually really excited about how they looked. She said it looked like we were going to have a concert in our basement gym.
Once I got them, I found it a little hard to find the proper settings. Started with the manufacturers recommendation, with input gain and output gain knobs set at 12:00 (50%). Sound was plenty loud, but rather jagged, like you’d expect from a PA. Not satisfied, I kept trying to tweak and improve. With the EQ on the 610 set to subwoofer (meaning you’ve got a subwoofer connected) and the 618s set to EON (meaning your using a matched EON for the monitor), the upper bass sounded kind of weak, and the sub bass was boomy and bloated. Going only by ear (I got a umik1 a while back but haven’t made the time to learn it yet), it seemed like there were some significant and displeasing dips in FR. Spec sheet says with these settings, the monitors and subs would crossover at 100Hz. Long story short, I now have removed all EQ on all units, and set the input gain at about 7:00, two white maker bars above zero. Any higher, and it sounds to me that the input stage starts to clip. Output gain I set between 12:00 and 3:00, depending on mood. And THAT sounds AWESOME. Very satisfying. Alex’s opening solo on VH Hot for Teacher finally has a sweetly pleasing punch and depth. Pat Travers’ Crash and Burn is epic! I could go on, but you get the idea. I look forward to my workout now, and don’t really want to stop because the music‘s so good.
Last weekend, my wife niece came to visit, and we watched Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. There’s a scene early in the movie where a bunch of men are sitting around, and a jaw harp begins to gently play in the background. My niece said, “I don’t think I ever heard that jaw harp playing before.” My wife said, “yeah, I don’t think I have either.” That’s as close as I’m ever going to get to audiophile validation from those two. That was with JBL 705p for LCR, and cemented my conviction to build my home theater system around 705/708. Going for 7.1 for now, with Rythmik F18 for subs. Should be excellent.

Top Bottom