• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Stage A130 Review (speaker)

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Never really understood this WAF thingy. I say who, I say when, I say what, I say how. She dont dictate how I live and what I do. Hold on folks, gotta pop over to the store for a bit to get my wife some moisturizing cream. Ill be back in 30.

Presently42

I'm surprised you guys aren't liking 80 Hz. It must be your rooms forcing a higher XO?
Exactly this. There's a hole around 100 - 120 in my room, and the speakers aren't especially movable, given my livingroom setup. Once I get the silly sub working, I'll test - but I might have to cross at 120....

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
bookshelves can't really play below 100Hz cleanly, me and my partner are sensitive to different kinds of distortion so we both agreed that the speakers need to be crossed higher.

Also my JBLs are my living room speakers, they're tucked in a cabinet (for maximum WAF) and covered with thick Basotect foam. the higher they play the better as the foam stops absorbing below 200Hz.

View attachment 142197
I don't agree with the general statement that "bookshelf" speakers can't play below 100 Hz cleanly, but it looks like you have a special case there so you do what's best in your space.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't agree with the general statement that "bookshelf" speakers can't play below 100 Hz cleanly, but it looks like you have a special case there so you do what's best in your space.

well this speaker has lower distortion than most bookshelves and it has 30% THD at 50Hz so do with that as you please.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
well this speaker has lower distortion than most bookshelves and it has 30% THD at 50Hz so do with that as you please.
With an 80 Hz crossover, at 40 Hz it will be down by 30 dB (18 dB from the speaker's natural rolloff according to the measurement and 12 dB from the AVR) so it's probably not audible.

Last edited:

cbracer

Forum Donor
I looked into purchasing the A130 and it's original manufacturer number JBLA130BLK is discontinued, but replaced by a yet to arrive JBLA130BLKAM part number. The "AM" added onto the end of it. Wonder if they changed a resistor...... oh and the base price went up.
Anyone have a frequency graph of the A120?

Teeter

I looked into purchasing the A130 and it's original manufacturer number JBLA130BLK is discontinued, but replaced by a yet to arrive JBLA130BLKAM part number. The "AM" added onto the end of it. Wonder if they changed a resistor...... oh and the base price went up.
Anyone have a frequency graph of the A120?

I see what you mean with the change in part number. There chat is not working along with email. I guess one has to call to see if the rep can tell you of the change. Yes, the price is listed as $299.00 on their website.
Update: I did find Harman's support email address and wrote them.

Last edited:

Teeter

@cbracer , after a few days waiting to hear from Harman via e-mail, csupport@harman. they replied today that they are looking into any design difference. They forwarded my email to another address at Harman and waiting.

muad

@cbracer , after a few days waiting to hear from Harman via e-mail, csupport@harman. they replied today that they are looking into any design difference. They forwarded my email to another address at Harman and waiting.
Thanks for looking into this. My dads just waiting for his pair right now. Hopefully there's no sonic differences.

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for looking into this. My dads just waiting for his pair right now. Hopefully there's no sonic differences.
Im hoping for a sonic difference, for the better. :) Maybe they solved that 1k hump, fingers crossed.

jnygrgrs

For what it's worth, that's the model number I ordered on June 11 (Canada, The Brick, $263 Canadian). Product page still has the same model, with availability date of Aug 20 (if ordered today I guess?). Not sure how long I'll be waiting. I should call the shop for any update.

375HP2482

I suspect that a model number change has more to do with distribution channels than anything else.

Teeter

@375HP2482 You are pretty much right. They came back saying the AM is for the USA region. Otherwise, they are both the same speakers.

NOROB

Forum Donor
I'm just getting into this (not listening to music :), but the Science part of audio). I purchased these based, on Amir's analysis and review, for use as desktop speakers hooked up to the Loxjie A30. I've got to say, using the recommended EQ settings they sound fantastic. I was listening to a bunch of Mahler symphonies yesterday and today, and the bass sounds perfect, the higher end isn't screechy, and lots of details throughout the orchestra. I have them hooked up with a 25 year old PolkAudio passive sub, and it really sounds great.

For 240 bucks, I'm just amazed. Next step is to get REW and a calibrated mike to figure out the room (i.e. primarily to see if there are tweaks to be made to the sub). Pleased as punch with these.

375HP2482

^^ That's what it's all about. No need to let "science" intrude on the enjoyment of Mahler.

There's always "tweaks," and they are almost always at the margins. Put away the microphone and enjoy the music. (I say this as one who spent a career within the science of loudspeakers.)

Presently42

using the recommended EQ settings

If I may be so bold, I have a slight preference for my own settings - though not by much. It'd be lovely to hear someone else's thoughts: I've heard quite enough of my own!

Top Bottom