• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Processor vs Receiver / Arcam vs Anthem

elrondecuba

I am out for a processor (or receiver for budget reasons) to use with my existing Classe AMP2+AMP5 and Oppo Sonica DAC.

I planning a 5.x.2 or 7.x.2 channel atmos probably build around B&W 7 s2 series that I will be buying soon. It will be used 50/50 for music (electronic + jazz) and movies.

I have mostly used separates in the past (my last configuration was; the B&W N802+NHTM1 driven by Classe SSP-300 and the Classe CA-M600 monos and the AMP5) and was trying to find a reasonable processor with Atmos but the prices are above my budget where I live.

Someone told me I could buy an AVR and not use their amplifiers, just use the pre-outs, and that the interior parts of the Arcam AV40 and AVR10; and also Anthem AVM70 and MRX540 are the same, including the DACs, with only minor differences in specs. Is that true? Is it only the power supply load and maybe some interference disadvantage with the receivers? Do you think I would be able to hear the difference?

Which of these models would match better with my Class D Classe`s?

Thanks!

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I really doesn't matter, you are already bringing down performance by a lot by building around B&W 7 s2 series.

OP
E

elrondecuba

I really doesn't matter, you are already bringing down performance by a lot by building around B&W 7 s2 series.
If you are saying this compared to the N802, unfortunately it will take a while before I will get them here

Koeitje

Major Contributor
If you are saying this compared to the N802, unfortunately it will take a while before I will get them here
Which 802's?

Maybe I should have said B&W loudspeakers in general. They are just...uh...not very good. They look great though.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am out for a processor (or receiver for budget reasons) to use with my existing Classe AMP2+AMP5 and Oppo Sonica DAC.

I planning a 5.x.2 or 7.x.2 channel atmos probably build around B&W 7 s2 series that I will be buying soon. It will be used 50/50 for music (electronic + jazz) and movies.

I have mostly used separates in the past (my last configuration was; the B&W N802+NHTM1 driven by Classe SSP-300 and the Classe CA-M600 monos and the AMP5) and was trying to find a reasonable processor with Atmos but the prices are above my budget where I live.

Someone told me I could buy an AVR and not use their amplifiers, just use the pre-outs, and that the interior parts of the Arcam AV40 and AVR10; and also Anthem AVM70 and MRX540 are the same, including the DACs, with only minor differences in specs. Is that true? Is it only the power supply load and maybe some interference disadvantage with the receivers? Do you think I would be able to hear the difference?

Which of these models would match better with my Class D Classe`s?

Thanks!

Don't know about the Arcam, but the AVM70 and MRX540's DAC/preamp section won't be the same.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Don't know about the Arcam, but the AVM70 and MRX540's DAC/preamp section won't be the same.
It's closer between the 1140 and the 70. Unfortunately the amps in the 1140 cannot be turned off.

In any case I wouldn't recommend an Anthem. Apart from the endless bugs and problems, you have a fan in the AVM 70 that bothers some people.

OP
E

elrondecuba

I stand corrected; I meant 540 and 740.

About Arcam, I was told by their distribor`s salesperson here that they (AV40 and AVR10) are very similar, but I`m also not sure

Golfx

Forum Donor
If you have time to read through this websites previous reviews you will find Denon AVRs rate the best in SINAD and engineering hygiene.

Top Bottom