• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

b4nt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I only run it to my bemchmark hpa4. I dont understand how it can interact with other amps like that unless you're using RCA to your other amps.

Are you serious?

I will get coupons for you, to swap amp/dac and so, and that will improve my budget :)

Switching track or bitrate will have up to a big impact at electrical RCA/line level, so noises or pops in speakers.

b4nt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I only run it to....

I can get coupons. You need some?

Such poping noise should at 100% depend of your player app.

An acceptable player will fade out/in whilst changing track or bit rate.

prerich

Wonder if/when Stereophile is going to review and test this. Probably too cheap for their blood. Wouldn't want to interfere with their support of high-$$$$$-end gear now, would we?
That detective, is the right question.

Robin L

Master Contributor
That detective, is the right question.
Have to wonder how a DBT of the Topping D90SE vs. dCS Vivaldi would turn out. Wonder what sort of tap-dance would be performed in the wake of demonstrating that the differences would be totally inaudible.

rlwings

Yay, my D90SE arrived today from China. (Took 8 days to Toronto Canada)... So am I correct that we can't use Dirac room correction (in a Windows PC) and MQA at the same time to get all the unfolds? I can't get the D90SE to show MQA on the screen. The DAC is the last thing in the chain set to DAC mode... I know that MQA is looked down upon here and honestly I tend to agree, but I have Tidal and I just want hear what it sounds like.

Last edited:

pdxaudio

I only run it to my bemchmark hpa4. I dont understand how it can interact with other amps like that unless you're using RCA to your other amps.
I think you’re right, that’s part of the issue, I was using RCA outputs. After switching to XLR and into Benchmark HPA4, I can see how you wouldn’t notice it at all. However with XLR into a Purifi amp, I can still hear it if I listen for it, and still no reason for it through RCA output. With this and remote control issues I’m having, I think I’ll give RME ADI-2 a try instead.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yay, my D90SE arrived today from China. (Took 8 days to Toronto Canada)... So am I correct that we can't use Dirac room correction (in a Windows PC) and MQA at the same time to get all the unfolds? I can't get the D90SE to show MQA on the screen. The DAC is the last thing in the chain set to DAC mode... I know that MQA is looked down upon here and honestly I tend to agree, but I have Tidal and I just want hear what it sounds like.
Due to the way MQA works any process in the chain, even volume control should by design avoided before the DAC.
My suggestion is to either forget about MQA or try with MQA pass through on, exclusive mode on, volume max, and no process in the chain.

rlwings

Due to the way MQA works any process in the chain, even volume control should by design avoided before the DAC.
My suggestion is to either forget about MQA or try with MQA pass through on, exclusive mode on, volume max, and no process in the chain.
Ok, thanks John I'll try that. Awesome product by the way! - I actually ordered 2 of them based on this review for my bedroom and living room! :)

De Red Diablo

Hi guys.
First post here in this great community.
D90SE just landed in my system last evening. Running it in now tho already sounding good out of the box.

Am testing out all the inputs. Trying to get DSD to play via the I2S from Blu-ray player . No success.

Tried various settings of the I2S menu with no luck. I was able to play DSD/ SACD from my Sony BDP via the I2S input of the Bryston BDA-3 DAC. Any thoughts on how the D90SE I2S can be configured to that? Or can't be done?

L Plate

Hi guys.
First post here in this great community.
D90SE just landed in my system last evening. Running it in now tho already sounding good out of the box.

Am testing out all the inputs. Trying to get DSD to play via the I2S from Blu-ray player . No success.

Tried various settings of the I2S menu with no luck. I was able to play DSD/ SACD from my Sony BDP via the I2S input of the Bryston BDA-3 DAC. Any thoughts on how the D90SE I2S can be configured to that? Or can't be done?
Check your Sony BDP setting. I have heard someone said that Sony BDP might not be compatible to D90 I2S. Don't think you can connect it directly from your player to D90SE to play DSD. You might be able to get away with it by connecting a gadget called I2S converter from Alibaba. YOu connect the HDMI from your player to the gadget HDMI input and the I2S output from the gadget to your D90 I2S. This is how I did it with my Oppo 93 Blu Ray Player.

David_M

Though the X26 Pro doesn't quite match the measurements excellence of the D90SE, it looks better, more modern looking than the latest Topping D90SE device. I highly doubt anyone can reliably distinguish between these two players in a blind A/B test.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Though the X26 Pro doesn't quite match the measurements excellence of the D90SE, it looks better, more modern looking than the latest Topping D90SE device. I highly doubt anyone can reliably distinguish between these two players in a blind A/B test.

If you are sure of your assertion, then go for Topping, a much better established brand, the dac is much smaller and lighter and has the same features, better implemented and flawless.
And it's cheaper too.
Go for it ... blindly ;)

rlwings

Wow, wow, wow, and quadruple wow! - I just got my D90SE and man does it ever sound good. I'm coming from a Marantz SR7012 AVR (AKM chip) to a marantz Model 30 integrated with this DAC... My god, the clarity, the speed, the detail, the everything! - Flawless reproduction of Tidal Hi-res. Can't use MQA due to Dirac room correction being used in the signal path via PC. No big deal. I did listen to MQA in my headphones though. (Dirac isn't needed in headphones) Gotta say, MQA sounds pretty good on some tracks. - Anyway don't hesitate. Just get this DAC! :)

Last edited:

woof!

I have a weird problem with my Topping D90SE. Anyone else have this issue? I am trying to figure out if this is a defect with the unit or maybe there is something else I can do to fix it.

The problem is my Topping D90SE optical sdpif in kind of stop randomly for a split second like in this sample audio https://soundcloud.com/daskfa-k-176352817%2F072521064019-normal . It happened at least at the following time stamps: 0:12,0:42,0:59,1:05,1:23,1:40
This problem only happened when I connected the D90SE optical spdif input in the following settings:
- Any Source (PC, Playstation 4, or Nintendo Switch) to TV (LG C9) to D90SE
- PS4 to D90SE

The above settings work with my Topping E30 without any flaw.

If I connect my PC to D90SE directly through the spdif input it is also working without the issue.

I tried switching the cables too. I have 3 spdif cables. Same thing, no issue with E30, but with D90SE I have that glitch issue.

woof!

So... what other settings that you don't encounter any issues?
usb input and optical input from pc works flawlessly. Same thing with Bluetooth input. It have no issue. For Bluetooth, I am able to connect from the TV optical output to fiio bta30 (as a Bluetooth transmitter) to D90SE.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
usb input and optical input from pc works flawlessly. Same thing with Bluetooth input. It have no issue. For Bluetooth, I am able to connect from the TV optical output to fiio bta30 (as a Bluetooth transmitter) to D90SE.
So the issue happens when the TV or PS4 outputs to D90se. Got you.

However I can tell you how it is straightforward. E30 prior to SN2103 has AK4118 as SPDIF receiver. D90se has LC89091. It's an improvement from the CS8416 which was used in D30pro and newer E30 that have the issue too.

Question I have is, since I don't have Nintendo switch, do you know if you can connect your Nintendo to D90se? So that we can check both PS4 and switch.

Problem for you is that this to us is not a new issue and has been reported before. Although we are still gathering information for LC89091 implementation which we initially thought had no issue. So there's no way to improve the situation for the units being sold. If you are comfortable with the connections that don't have the issue then it's great, enjoy. If you feel it's too big of an inconvenience, you can make your decision to return the unit or not.

Another thing to notice is that the issue is not limited to us or the implementation. There are many devices that we have tested failed just as badly. The situation is suddenly worse now because the only chip that we know 100% doesn't have the issue is no longer available due to the AKM factory fire.

Top Bottom