• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend an "entry level" setup

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks my man
No problem. I actually just purchased my second one. I was using one in my classroom at work (high school physics teacher as main job) and brought it home for the summer to use on my outdoor patio speakers instead of a lepai ti 2020+. Sounded so much better that I decided to leave it and buy a second for work since we start back next week.

Jdunk54nl

Jdunk54nl

You could also go wxa-50 or minidsp shd power with Dirac live, the minidsp would be my personal choice due to Dirac if I was setting up a listening room.

OP
N

nab1828

You could also go wxa-50 or minidsp shd power with Dirac live, the minidsp would be my personal choice due to Dirac if I was setting up a listening room.

Can't find the AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 in Europe. :/ The WXA-50 is not powerful enough for the Elacs though?

Jdunk54nl

Can't find the AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 in Europe. :/ The WXA-50 is not powerful enough for the Elacs though?
It's more powerful than the aiyima....
I am using the aiyima in about a 2000 sqft classroom on parts express cnote speakers....it is plenty powerful.

OP
N

nab1828

It's more powerful than the aiyima....
I am using the aiyima in about a 2000 sqft classroom on parts express cnote speakers....it is plenty powerful.

Thanks, it's settled then. I'll let you guys know when I get the units. Thanks everyone for your help. :)

jae

Major Contributor
For stereo listening i would do

MiniDSP DDRC-24
JBL Stage A130
Amplifier of choice
Streamer of choice (raspberry pi with usb out to MiniDSP possible).

if the A130 is not available then Kali IN-8 second wave (V2.0)

He could learn do DSP right on the Pi with one of the streamer solutions/CamillaDSP, although I guess he would be out of luck for correcting the analogue sources. Either way, he would need a microphone such as UMIK-1 for either solution

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He could learn do DSP right on the Pi with one of the streamer solutions/CamillaDSP, although I guess he would be out of luck for correcting the analogue sources. Either way, he would need a microphone such as UMIK-1 for either solution

Dirac is superior anyway.

Jdunk54nl

Dirac is superior anyway.
Great video with an engineer for Dirac:

One reason why it is superior is the use of proper all pass filters.

Daverz

Major Contributor
What’s up with the Thorens? Why spend so much money on that?

Also, what is your total budget? What’s the goal of the setup? What environment? Do you want to play loud?

Seems quite reasonable for a modern DD turntable, if it's any good.

Offler

"As far as DBR62 vs 8010A, DBR62 every time, even with a sub"

Does everyone agree with this? Price would be similar I imagine, with a new amp for the DBR62s. I would be listening at my desk in a relatively small bedroom.

These are DBR62s with NAD d3020v2 in a small room for near-field listening. Amp was 500 euro, unfortunately its not measured on this forum. DAC is Cirrus Logic, and amp itself is Hypex UcD 102 modified by NAD.
P6070129.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor
Seems quite reasonable for a modern DD turntable, if it's any good.
That's the rub. Note that Technics has been on a roll as of late. There's a resurrection of the SL-1200, now MK 7, that will on the market in about a month. Otherwise, if you're going to be listening to only 50 LPs, $1000 is really too much. If you're into the bling of the thing, consider a vintage turntable:

78e27c4a3ff35ec91d8215cdf17ce078.jpg

OP
N

nab1828

That's the rub. Note that Technics has been on a roll as of late. There's a resurrection of the SL-1200, now MK 7, that will on the market in about a month. Otherwise, if you're going to be listening to only 50 LPs, $1000 is really too much. If you're into the bling of the thing, consider a vintage turntable:

View attachment 143243

Technics is not as impressive as it used to be, and there's a lot of hype. They make them in Malaysia now. Vintage is out of the question, can't deal with that where I live, don't want to buy online. It's not about quantity, but quality. Can't imagine listening to trash music on high end components, what a waste... And that's what many "audiophiles" listen to. It's around 800 euros btw, and it's a direct drive, which is great. How many modern direct drive auto TTs do you know of?

Robin L

Master Contributor
Technics is not as impressive as it used to be, and there's a lot of hype. They make them in Malaysia now. Vintage is out of the question, can't deal with that where I live, don't want to buy online. It's not about quantity, but quality. Can't imagine listening to trash music on high end components, what a waste... And that's what many "audiophiles" listen to. It's around 800 euros btw, and it's a direct drive, which is great. How many modern direct drive auto TTs do you know of?
I don't think being made in Malaysia makes any difference. And when it comes to quality, the problem with LPs is always with the discs themselves. As regards sound quality, the turntable is a fashion statement. I don't know how many auto direct drive 'tables there are these days, there's a lot of DD tables. Technics TOTL turntables currently are among the best as regards wow and flutter.

Top Bottom