• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Calling all Linkwitz LX 521.4 owners in Southern California (CA at large, too)...

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You have to be very careful with software. A friend fried his diy speakers when his young daughter decided to watch youtube and switched speaker output settings in Windows bottom bar, bypassing hqplayer/convolution to direct ouput and hence bypassing all crossover settings....

I agree completely, but it's not the software's fault - and I hope this doesn't come across as harsh, but giving a young child access to a PC controlling x-overs etc is not the best idea. It reminds me of the the days of turntables (what, they are back again! :eek:) - they seemed to magnetically attract young children....I still have a mangled cartridge somewhere as evidence - that taught me a hard lesson. :rolleyes:

But, yes, you do have to be careful with software. I had a 90 day trial of Roon and rejected it partly because I found the clickable area to switch on/off a PEQ filter was too vague. I could see an accident happening. I stayed with JRiver because its rather old fashioned looking check boxes are more precise.

At the end of the day it's horses for courses, I guess. My LX521 system is in a music room separate from the house and it's only me that uses it. The LXMini system in the house uses a MiniDSP2x4 and is setup so that a single switch turns everything on and off. No thumps or pops. Volume, mute and input selection are the only available options. That's the way the rest of the family wanted it, but they still forget to turn it off when they have finished with it. :facepalm:

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I agree completely, but it's not the software's fault - and I hope this doesn't come across as harsh, but giving a young child access to a PC controlling x-overs etc is not the best idea. It reminds me of the the days of turntables (what, they are back again! :eek:) - they seemed to magnetically attract young children....I still have a mangled cartridge somewhere as evidence - that taught me a hard lesson. :rolleyes:

But, yes, you do have to be careful with software. I had a 90 day trial of Roon and rejected it partly because I found the clickable area to switch on/off a PEQ filter was too vague. I could see an accident happening. I stayed with JRiver because its rather old fashioned looking check boxes are more precise.

At the end of the day it's horses for courses, I guess. My LX521 system is in a music room separate from the house and it's only me that uses it. The LXMini system in the house uses a MiniDSP2x4 and is setup so that a single switch turns everything on and off. No thumps or pops. Volume, mute and input selection are the only available options. That's the way the rest of the family wanted it, but they still forget to turn it off when they have finished with it. :facepalm:

Not at all harsh, a very reasonable conclusion. You are lucky to have your own solo space. Software going to dac/amp boxes is probably the next step/advance.

magicLX

Audio Company
Hi TB

"It used to be that one could go to Mr. Linkwitz's home and demo his personal set of speakers, but no more, given obvious reasons."

Indeed, the Linkwitz home is still an opportunity to listen to LX521 (and LXmini/LXsirius). Several "OpenHouses" had been hosted by Mr Linkwitz wife.
As soon as the pandemic permits, these "OpenHouse" events will resume in Corte Madera/CA. Hopefully , late summer ?

Cheers, Frank

diyaudnut

I built an lx521.4 with asp.4 crossovers, purifi and mod86 amplifiers. They do need a lot of room but sound amazing.
Highly recommend oplug, Frank or Madisound for getting your system going.

magicLX

Audio Company
diyaudnut, your setup seems to bring a lot of fun!

I´m as well quite pleased with the new ASP for LX521.4 . It avoids going analog>digital>analog.
Cheers, Frank

diyaudnut

diyaudnut, your setup seems to bring a lot of fun!

I´m as well quite pleased with the new ASP for LX521.4 . It avoids going analog>digital>analog.
Cheers, Frank
Yes frank I have been eyeing your new LM driver and new ASP.... would have picked those if I was aware of them when I built my system last December..
For now my system provides plenty of joy...

mamsterla

I am a SoCal LX521.4 owner. I bought mine from a builder who went the JBM M2 route and sold them to me. I redid the finish and decided to pair them with the Hairball ASP. If Covid lets up, I would be happy to let you listen - I have both Analog and nice Roon setup for listening. I have mine paired with Rhythmik subs, so they do go very deep. Located in West LA.

magicLX

Audio Company

magicLX

Audio Company
OpenHouse at the Linkwitz Home in Corte Madera

After a pandemic pause, Eike Linkwitz likes to invite you to our first OpenHouse event this year. Listen to Siegfried Linkwitz creations LX521 and LXsirius in Corte Madera/ 9mi north of Golden Gate Bridge.

This event is available exclusively for fully COVID-vaccinated participants. The next LINKWITZ OpenHouse will take place on
Saturday Nov13th 2021, 10.00-14.00.
Book your seats via email [email protected]
Driving and parking details will be provided.
Pandemic rules (FFP2 masks) apply.

LINKWITZ.audio's picture

mamsterla

Just a follow up that I had @bugg_nn_out over for a listen with my system. He brought some rare vinyl with a wide variety of music on it. Some dance, some club, old ska, country. Hoping he posts his own impressions.

Reimar

Hi!

Pardon me for creating a mint-new account for this, but I'm not much of a forum user. I think I'm in the right place with this particular request, however.

I have purchased construction plans for the late Linkwitz's flagship speaker design, the LX521.4. I'm sure many of you know about this speaker, or indeed may know someone who has built a set for themselves. Each driver requires amplification routed via a DSP or ASP to ensure maximally efficient extension. I understand that the sound is truly remarkable, on a par with speakers that sell for many times the LX's building costs.

Might any owners of this speaker be willing to share the fruits of their labor with me, and indulge me in a demo? I am in Los Angeles and looking preferably for someone close to me, even more preferably for someone with turntable capable of playback through the speakers. If I can't find such a right person within proximity, I would be willing to make a little trip out to you. I can offer you money or a vinyl record in exchange for your time, and would abide by whatever COVID protocols you think necessary (within reason); I am vaccinated. I can email you a scan of my driver's license to ensure safety.

It used to be that one could go to Mr. Linkwitz's home and demo his personal set of speakers, but no more, given obvious reasons. For better or worse, this makes y'all who have built these speakers their new ambassadors, and I hope I can meet one or several of you soon!

TB

PS: If there is a thread of this nature that already exists, I'm happy to delete this post if you can refer me to it. Thx.
If you ever come up North: I am in Fremont and can welcome you to my house listening to my LX521-4s with the new Magnesium midrange driver and the N6Core analog power boxes.

Reimar

Is that only available from Frank?
Yes, that's the one. I tried to find it at Madisound, but Frank tells me it's a special-order thing he has with the Norwegians. In any case, it's a definite improvement over the standard mid-rangers: the sound source (singer, piano, etc.) is better defined in space and the presentation is even less veiled than in the (already exceptional) original.

JP

Major Contributor
Yes, that's the one. I tried to find it at Madisound, but Frank tells me it's a special-order thing he has with the Norwegians. In any case, it's a definite improvement over the standard mid-rangers: the sound source (singer, piano, etc.) is better defined in space and the presentation is even less veiled than in the (already exceptional) original.
I'll not do business with Frank, so that's a bummer.

Reimar

Madison does indeed sell a SEAS Magnesium/Graphene midrange driver, but it's over $400: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...-w22nx001-graph-e0077-8-graphene-cone-woofer/ ; I don't really like the bump between 600 and 1000Hz, though.

JP

Major Contributor
What's the problem, if I may ask?

Years ago ordered a turnkey set of mini +2. One arrived with upper midrange tube mounted backwards. While discussing that with Frank the woofers starting shedding paint at the baffle/tube seam where they used an incompatible caulk. I was working 100+ hours weeks and super slow to respond so it took awhile to sort out a course of action. He was patient and great to work with at the time. Long story short it was decided he'd send me two new woofer cabinets and a new upper midrange tube, and I'd swap it all out myself.

The snag came when the new parts arrived. The paint job was atrocious. I'm not sure what went wrong, but the finish had a super rough texture that'd take your skin off if you brushed against it, and due to this texture difference, it didn't even remotely match the existing parts. Sent very detailed pictures that clearly showed the difference to him and explained it thoroughly, but he refused to acknowledge it. Told me I didn't know what I was talking about and tried to make several excuses as to how paint that is rough enough to remove skin is normal while completely ignoring the fact that the original and new finishes were completely different.

So, he told me to pound sand, and I had no recourse due to the elapsed time from purchase. As the new bits were far worse than the old, and he didn't want them back, I decided to give them away rather than throw them away. I posted them in the for sale section of oplug, free + shipping, and was careful to factually describe them with detailed pictures so people would know what they were getting, but with no mention of the issue as I didn't want to start anything there.

My understanding was that Frank reached out to the admins and requested they delete my post, which they did. When I inquired I was basically told that Frank was an esteemed community member and how dare I even hint at him being anything other than the second coming. I asked if they'd looked at the rather conclusive pictures of the issue but they ignored me.

In addition, within the first ~18months of ownership the glue from the tubes to the bases lost adhesion, and the connector blocks fell off. I'd hope all these production and quality issues have been rectified in the years since. I get that issues happen, but I don't do business with people who don't stand behind their product, and especially won't do business with people who invoke audio-mafia behaviors.

I enjoy listening to my Linkwitz speakers immensely and always found Siegried to be an amazing stand-up guy. Things are different now.

Last edited:

mac

Forum Donor
@JP I cannot speak for the moderator of any site other than the OPLUG, but exchanges like what you've expressed [here] seems like a [private] matter between you and Frank.

Additionally, your post back in 2018 was deleted because you violated the clearly stated rules.

JP

Major Contributor
Additionally, your post back in 2018 was deleted because you violated the clearly stated rules.

Sorry, no. I was given the admins opinion on the situation even though I never shared it, was told that dust can be cleaned with a damp cloth (as if that were in any way related to the actual issue), and was told to "Feel free to repost your ad without any defamatory language..." even though I didn't defame anyone, but did accurately describe the condition of the items.

59 minutes later I received a second message "Also please note..." that I needed to have two forum posts prior to posting a for sale ad. Even though I wasn't selling anything, rather giving them away rather than tossing them in the dumpster, I understand the grey area.

I don't see a lot of room for ambiguity. Happy to send you the screenshots of the messages.

Top Bottom