• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend an "entry level" setup

Offler

Currently i would go for a pair of
1. Elac DBR-62
2. JBL Stage A130

+ amplifier of your choice/need.

Even when i really liked JBLs because of smaller size and lower distortion, Elacs were more available at my location and have slightly deeper bass. That, in combination with fact that my collection is mostly movies and then music made me to go for DBR-62s.

OP
N

nab1828

If the original poster hasn't compared coaxial speakers like the Elac UB and Kali IN-8 to normal speakers, I highly recommend doing so, as the former don't sound physically broken when you are well above or well below their tweeter axis.

The UB costs the same as DBR62 and they're not recommended here? What would I gain with coaxial speakers in a small room, I would place the speakers at ear level.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
and have slightly deeper bass.

they might have the same F10 but the A130 has a bigger baffle (sensitivity roll-off happens lower in frequency) and a bigger woofer (cleaner output). so the A130 has more bass (both quality and quantity).

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The UB costs the same as DBR62 and they're not recommended here? What would I gain with coaxial speakers in a small room, I would place the speakers at ear level.

The reflectiions would sound more like the direct sound. If you're always on axis it may not matter to you much.

For me just like a TV that has tons of color shift when you stand up or are walking towards it, it bugs me when speakers drastically change frequency balance as I stand or change my seat height.

OP
N

nab1828

So A130 vs DBR62, active speakers out of the question?
The reflectiions would sound more like the direct sound. If you're always on axis it may not matter to you much.

For me just like a TV that has tons of color shift when you stand up or are walking towards it, it bugs me when speakers drastically change frequency balance as I stand or change my seat height.

I'll have to go have a listen to all the recommendations here. Not I'm not so sold on a turntable, but then I really want to listen to my jazz on vinyl...

Robin L

Master Contributor

I'll have to go have a listen to all the recommendations here. Not I'm not so sold on a turntable, but then I really want to listen to my jazz on vinyl...
I've had good luck with used Technics turntables. No concern for parts wearing out like with belt drive or rim drive tables, no suspended subchassis to tune. Doesn't have to be a 1200 series, though some of those can be found for reasonable [$200-$300] prices.

Offler

Well, depends. I made a choice of having passive speakers with small integrated amplifier, which is in total 16 watts power consumption on average. But if the purpose of the speakers change, I can just swap the amplifier for something beefier.

Active speakers do benefit from amplifiers made and tuned for the drivers, with DSP... I simply came to conclusion that its a better pro-oriented gear which would be more that I can utilize.

OP
N

nab1828

Should I just buy a pair of Genelec 8030c and a small preamp? The turntable can wait. Would studio monitors disappoint me for pure music listening?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Should I just buy a pair of Genelec 8030c and a small preamp? The turntable can wait. Would studio monitors disappoint me for pure music listening?

That depends on how far you will be away. Check out the room size and listening distances Genelec recommends.

Generally it’s a very good speaker

OP
N

nab1828

That depends on how far you will be away. Check out the room size and listening distances Genelec recommends.

Generally it’s a very good speaker

It seems the Genelecs use xlr only, if I use the wxc-50 with them can I just get any rca to xlr cable? Does it matter?

Edit: would the 8010a Genelecs be decent for music listening in a 14 m2 room at up to 2 meters away? They're significantly less expensive than the bigger brothers and I could even snag a subwoofer to go with them. What's the opinion on 8010a vs dbr62? Totally different speakers? What do you recommend for someone getting into audiophile grade equipment?

dfuller

Major Contributor
To be honest I'd probably go for Kali IN-8s in that range. They measure decently well, have enough power for reasonably high listening levels, and offer some rudimentary room correction built in.
Would studio monitors disappoint me for pure music listening?
Not unless you get ones like Yamaha HS5s/HS7s/HS8s, which are just terribly tiring to listen to.

Would the 8010a Genelecs be decent for music listening in a 14 m2 room at up to 2 meters away? They're significantly less expensive than the bigger brothers and I could even snag a subwoofer to go with them. What's the opinion on 8010a vs dbr62? Totally different speakers? What do you recommend for someone getting into audiophile grade equipment?
No. They're barely acceptable as desktop speakers, even with a sub. As far as DBR62 vs 8010A, DBR62 every time, and I'm not a fan of passive speakers.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ok, you could listen to the same albums on CD or downloads but you like the experience of vinyl?

if so, then buy a used TT, maybe restore it and pick the one that is most experiential or looks best

OP
N

nab1828

To be honest I'd probably go for Kali IN-8s in that range. They measure decently well, have enough power for reasonably high listening levels, and offer some rudimentary room correction built in.

Not unless you get ones like Yamaha HS5s/HS7s/HS8s, which are just terribly tiring to listen to.

No. They're barely acceptable as desktop speakers, even with a sub. As far as DBR62 vs 8010A, DBR62 every time, and I'm not a fan of passive speakers.

Weren't the Kalis shat upon heavily in the review?
Damn, do you think the 8020s would be fine then? I couldn't afford a sub with them tho.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Weren't the Kalis shat upon heavily in the review?
Nope! The original unit had a defective woofer. The replacement sample was much better. The V2 is even better because it seriously reduced the noise.
Damn, do you think the 8020s would be fine then? I couldn't afford a sub with them tho.
Frankly any Genelec below the 8030 doesn't make a particularly large amount of sense to me. The 8020 is still only a 4" midwoofer and its limit is 100dB/1m, which is really not much at all. Genelec's driver protection limiters are also quite aggressive, which makes them not a great choice if you want to get loud.

OP
N

nab1828

"As far as DBR62 vs 8010A, DBR62 every time, even with a sub"

Does everyone agree with this? Price would be similar I imagine, with a new amp for the DBR62s. I would be listening at my desk in a relatively small bedroom.

OP
N

nab1828

Nope! The original unit had a defective woofer. The replacement sample was much better. The V2 is even better because it seriously reduced the noise.

Frankly any Genelec below the 8030 doesn't make a particularly large amount of sense to me. The 8020 is still only a 4" midwoofer and its limit is 100dB/1m, which is really not much at all. Genelec's driver protection limiters are also quite aggressive, which makes them not a great choice if you want to get loud.

Thanks for the input, I'll check the V2!

OP
N

nab1828

I've decided on a pair of DBR62s. I just need a "cheap" amp, what do I drive them with?? What else do I need? Can the WXA-50 drive them?

Last edited:

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Top Bottom