• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Core 47 Review (Professional Monitor)

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you are confusing exaggerated treble with detail.
Excellent point - many studio mixers need a speaker or DSP setting to specifically exaggerate the frequencies they're mixing - this is their job and often fatiguing because the focus may be on one band of frequencies that entire day. If you're mixing vocals all day, then it would be preferable if there was a mid-driver that contained most of the male frequencies without having to worry about crossover dips.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is kind of sad for me personally as even I purchased and enjoyed Genelec, I am always loving the design and look of the Focal and Dynaudio despite their comparitively much higher price, I am ok for them to not have good directivity as they've not bothered for waveguide, fine for me as my sweet spot can only have one person sitting so it doesn't matter anyway...
Speaking of loving speaker designs despite value or performance, I sometimes feel irrational for loving the big round ATC mid-dome woofer and am always looking for an excuse to get an ATC just so I can stare at the thing - it's hypnotic with its promise of midrange magic - I admit total sighted bias here! Let's assume the below speakers are the same price, size and performance, the mid-range dome is calling to me.

Screenshot 2021-07-22 091037.png
Screenshot_2021-07-22_090822-removebg-preview.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-22 090822.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-22 090822.png
    228.9 KB · Views: 105

ezra_s

Forum Donor
I look at the speaker in question, then I look at the Neumann KH 310... easy choice, isn't it?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Speaking of loving speaker designs despite value or performance, I sometimes feel irrational for loving the big round ATC mid-dome woofer and am always looking for an excuse to get an ATC just so I can stare at the thing - it's hypnotic with its promise of midrange magic - I admit total sighted bias here! Let's assume the below speakers are the same price, size and performance, the mid-range dome is calling to me.
No, that midrange dome is pretty magical. Very low distortion, very wide response (comfortable down to about 400hz and up to about 3.5k).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Indeed disappointing. I don't get it because Dynaudio developed the entire Core series in its world class anechoic facility called Jupiter
so they must have done this on purpose because tuning by ear and ignoring the measurements? I was debating between the Core series and Genelec, and the GLM won me over.
That setup enables them to get the 360 degree data. What they do with that data is unknown. Are they on record to care about spinorama? And importance of off-axis sound?

temps

I look at the speaker in question, then I look at the Neumann KH 310... easy choice, isn't it?
here, a 8341 is $3,125 and a Core 47 is $2,999.... even easier choice

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Here 8341 is $500 more than Core 47 but still going with Genelec is the best choice to me.

I don't get it because Dynaudio developed the entire Core series in its world class anechoic facility called Jupiter
so they must have done this on purpose because tuning by ear and ignoring the measurements?
It's possible that there is just some "genius" engineer/designer that wants to do things his way regardless of what the data says. I wouldn't be surprised knowing the importance that is often given to the "personalities" in this industry. Which is a shame, because Dynaudio is certainly capable of producing a speaker as good or even better than their direct competitors.

D

Deleted member 12642

View attachment 142973View attachment 142975

I love the look of those ATC, so much so that I'd really like to build my own version possibly using the dayton 2" midrange, if they ever come back in stock.

audio2920

Very interested to see this review! Thanks ASR/Amir!

Indeed, disappointing based on the data. I'm trying to get hold of some Core 59s for my Atmos studio but they still seem to be in short supply. I'll probably pursue it anyway despite this review, since I've mixed mostly on their BM and M range and my *suspicion* based on no data other than this review, is that these are likely to have a familiar sound... maybe.

Also, I need decent SPL handling more than I need razor flat response, and it's encouraging the 47s do well in that regard. Even the 59's are probably a bit shy of what I'd like, but at the price point I'm hoping for ($3000/speaker kinda thing) I don't really know what would deliver more dynamics - apart from PA speakers...

SynthesisCinema

Indeed disappointing. I don't get it because Dynaudio developed the entire Core series in its world class anechoic facility called Jupiter
so they must have done this on purpose because tuning by ear and ignoring the measurements? I was debating between the Core series and Genelec, and the GLM won me over.

Did you listen the Core series or axed it after seeing measurements?

I asked comment from Dynaudio, actually few times and have posted these and past measurements for them. They got the Jupiter measuring system end of 2016.

" First it is important to understand that loudspeaker measurements are an objective tool to interpret the sound performance of a speaker along with subjective analysis. Measurements do not inform exactly how a speaker sounds. Our engineers use an endless amount of measurements from different measuring tools in their daily work, we even have a Klippel system ourselves which you can see a part of here https://www.hifistatement.net/feuilleton/item/2162-40-jahre-dynaudio?start=7 (3rd image from the top) - but the final decision in a development process will always be based on the most important tool: our ears. This is also the reason why we do not publish measurements of our loudspeakers: we simply do not believe they reveal much about the actual performance of a loudspeaker. "

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I have the baby, 2 way, Core 7s, I wonder how they'd fare?

Subjectively, together with the 18s sub, I think they sound great, but I am no trained listener.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dynaudio said:
This is also the reason why we do not publish measurements of our loudspeakers: we simply do not believe they reveal much about the actual performance of a loudspeaker

Then decide to engineer and build the multi-million dollar Jupiter chamber anyhow. You know, not that it reveals anything of importance.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Axed it last year after reading early reviews that they were “dry” and without something like GLM there’s no easy way to fix it without adding some 3rd party EQ software. In the middle of a lockdown made it impossible to listen at a store, and pro gear doesn’t have generous return policies if you don’t like it. So all we have are subjective reviews, third party measurements and faith in Dynaudio’s ear. Given these constraints I narrowed it down to Genelec or Neumann before this review. Now, I’m glad I did.

Does Dynaudio realize people CANNOT listen to pro-gear without entering a store that may not have all the brands? More importantly bad off-axis measurements results in bad in-room sound that is very room and placement specific. Controlled Off-axis directivity is always desirable (narrow vs wide dispersion is preference). I respect D’s “voicing” of its frequency curve by ear, but bad directivity is objectively undesirable and a sign of lax engineering. I have yet to hear an argument praising bad directivity - this is far less defensible than FR curves tuned by ear which is what most audiophiles debate.

Edit: D’s response speaks only to the frequency response curve and not the directivity shortcomings. If D’s response also suggests that it intentionally wanted bad directivity then we have a problem Houston. This is akin to saying “our cars have been tuned to drive perfectly a straight line but since we don’t care about left turns, your results may vary.”

Last edited:

Erizo

I asked comment from Dynaudio, actually few times and have posted these and past measurements for them. They got the Jupiter measuring system end of 2016.

First it is important to understand that loudspeaker measurements are an objective tool to interpret the sound performance of a speaker along with subjective analysis. Measurements do not inform exactly how a speaker sounds. Our engineers use an endless amount of measurements from different measuring tools in their daily work, we even have a Klippel system ourselves which you can see a part of here https://www.hifistatement.net/feuilleton/item/2162-40-jahre-dynaudio?start=7 (3rd image from the top) - but the final decision in a development process will always be based on the most important tool: our ears. This is also the reason why we do not publish measurements of our loudspeakers: we simply do not believe they reveal much about the actual performance of a loudspeaker.

Also from a producer point of view. How well the speakers translate to your ears makes a big difference. As I have stated before. Some speakers just don't work well with my ears.

YSC

Major Contributor
Also from a producer point of view. How well the speakers translate to your ears makes a big difference. As I have stated before. Some speakers just don't work well with my ears.
That makes your point as I agreed, but the directivity side of stuffs is really so sorry for them, yea room treatment mitigate a lot of those bad room reflections, but that doesn’t justify not improving the design, it’s like if Porsche said hey you guys buy our expensive 911 on tracks will mod the brakes and rims anyway, so we came with some beetle brakes and wheels for stock

respice finem

Major Contributor
From my humble living room point of view, it's probably more reasonable to get speakers with waveguides (and a small stereo triangle) than to convert the living room into a studio to tame midrange and treble reflexions. That said, there is some disagreement even with pros (e.g. MEG), some say a waveguide must be "colouring" vocals. I can't hear it, except with real horn speakers, but I'm no "reference" obviously.

audio2920

This is akin to saying “our cars have been tuned to drive perfectly a straight line but since we don’t care about left turns, your results may vary.”

Couldn't it be that these speakers are exactly for driving in a straight line? Like a dragster...:) (I like your directivity/driving in a straight line analogy) They don't have good off-axis properties, but they do have 1.15kW of amplification on board and they cost $2400 or something. I doubt there's many speakers this size out there that have that kind of headroom, at this price point, while maintaining some degree of "studio" quality to the sound, albeit with sub-optimal directivity.

Like others, I'm not trying to defend Dynaudio and/or poor design, it's just that a product like this (or the Core 59, actually) still has appeal to me - up until the point I hear it and go "nope... the internet was right" of course :p

Top Bottom