• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AirPlay issue - skipping first seconds of songs

BitPerfect_

Hi, I noticed the above mentioned issue lately, playing Apple Music through AirPlay1.
What I've done so far without positive results:
  • Restart - iPhone, router, streamer.
  • Disable Bluetooth and Siri.
  • Apple Music - Offload App, Delete App, Reinstall.
  • Album downloaded locally on the phone.
and more.

Here is an example.
If you let the song 4 to play until the end, the next track will start without the first 2-3 seconds.
This issue will be reproduced to other tracks as well not limited to track 5 (you will see at track 6, 7 and so on).

My conclusion is that the tracks are fine (using the iPhone internal speaker will play fine). I guess that It's something related to the AirPlay.

More infos:
I am in the same room with the streamer/router the distances are no more than 2-3m away phone vs the device/router.
I am using iPhone7 with the latest OS 14.7, also latest Apple Music app.
If anyone noticed this and fix it, any advice will be much appreciated.
Thank you!

OP
B

BitPerfect_

if we are talking about a confirmed bug it’s fine but I’m not so sure yet. I thought that it could be something related to the settings or something…

Last edited:

Johannes AU

if we are talking about a confirmed bug it’s fine but I’m not do sure yet. I thought that it could be something related to the settings or something…

Not a confirmed one, but you can see Apple did made something bad, such as cannot unlock Apple watch, it is a low level mistake .....

redshift

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, I noticed the above mentioned issue lately, playing Apple Music through AirPlay1.
What I've done so far without positive results:
  • Restart - iPhone, router, streamer.
  • Disable Bluetooth and Siri.
  • Apple Music - Offload App, Delete App, Reinstall.
  • Album downloaded locally on the phone.
and more.

Here is an example.
If you let the song 4 to play until the end, the next track will start without the first 2-3 seconds.
This issue will be reproduced to other tracks as well not limited to track 5 (you will see at track 6, 7 and so on).

My conclusion is that the tracks are fine (using the iPhone internal speaker will play fine). I guess that It's something related to the AirPlay.

More infos:
I am in the same room with the streamer/router the distances are no more than 2-3m away phone vs the device/router.
I am using iPhone7 with the latest OS 14.7, also latest Apple Music app.
If anyone noticed this and fix it, any advice will be much appreciated.
Thank you!

Airplay and iOS for sure need some overhaul in the streaming department.

For example with dual volume sliders and better airplay integration to the volume controls of the various apps.

Johannes AU

I guess it is buffering too much. I mean the buffer size should be determined on the WiFi RSSI and not just some default X second/bytes value.

Come on Yamaha. It is pretty irritating. At least make it settable.

I am not quite sure if it is the buffer issue, when I test it, the Yamaha is the first switch on today (standing for more than one day without switching on)

redshift

I am not quite sure if it is the buffer issue, when I test it, the Yamaha is the first switch on today (standing for more than one day without switching on)

How do you mean? It buffers a few seconds for every song before starting playback.

OP
B

BitPerfect_

It could be related to the buffer. If you look at the iPhone, at that moment of playing the next song, there will appear a loading sign next to wifi sign. There is no crossfade option but it acts somehow like it’s trying to do a sort of crossfade imho.

redshift

MacOS has an update 11.5, will test it after the update and report.

My Cambridge streamer/amp have about 0.3s delay from changing the song. The same with my Marantz. It is tolerable. The Yamaha about 1-2s. Way too much.

Last edited:

redshift

It could be related to the buffer. If you look at the iPhone, at that moment of playing the next song, there will appear a loading sign next to wifi sign. There is no crossfade option but it acts somehow like it’s trying to do a sort of crossfade imho.

It could be a bugged (circular) buffer implementation. It is likely fixable if Yamaha gets rolling. I think it is pretty irritating.

Johannes AU

I understand what you mean, the loading ring appears during streaming, it is normal, but if first few seconds of the song lost, it is not right.

OP
B

BitPerfect_

Do you think that this is something that could be fixed changing the router parameters? maybe it’s a silly question, I am not sure if AirPlay send the signal directly to the receiver or via router. Or is strictly WXC-50 depending…

OP
B

BitPerfect_

My Cambridge streamer/amp have about 0.3s delay from changing the song. The same with my Marantz. It is tolerable. The Yamaha about 1-2s. Way too much.

Did you used MacOS 11.5 in the above described tests? thanks,

Top Bottom