• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva XPA-DR2 Review (Stereo Power Amplifier)

egellings

Major Contributor
I noticed that there is no ground pin on the power cord connector.

titius

I have a Rotel RB-1582 MkII I wonder how it measures compared to this amp

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, that guy is truly a clown. He works for Emotiva, saying that the numbers aren't everything? This is class D PA amplifier level of performance, which is 180 degrees opposite what Emotiva claims about this amplifier. So Amir is the bad one of showing that Emotiva's marketing speak holds no value? If any of these problems are audible doesn't even matter, if I buy an amplifier on the promise of getting high fidelity performance and I don't get it I'm pissed.

Am dismayed, but holding out for an official response from Emotiva as I concur Keith just does not exactly ooze credibility. :D

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I noticed that there is no ground pin on the power cord connector.

Many if not most consumer gear is isolated and does not require the safety ground pin. I do like that they provide XLR inputs on all the X-series amps, but that does not excuse the poor distortion performance. Although, it was not all that long ago that 0.1% was considered near SOTA.

Of course, "not long ago" keeps getting further and further in the past for me...

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems like the DR2 and ATI 54x amplifiers run two amplifier boards to achieve greater power.
It this done where one amp runs the positive and the other the negative?
I don't see the odd harmonic cancellation found in ATI6000/AT4000 "dual-differential" amplifiers.

However, it is done, both companies seemed aimed at providing the most bang for the buck within their distortion standard. ATI is 0.03 THD+N.
Emotiva has chosen 0.1 THD+N. The specs are posted and the DR-2 meets the spec.

- Rich

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Over a kilowatt of power and cheap.

Not something I personally would want, but seems generally like a more rational purchase than most tube amps.
Certainly more rational than buying a kilowatt tube amp. o_O

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
It seems like the DR2 and ATI 54x amplifiers run two amplifier boards to achieve greater power.
It this done where one amp runs the positive and the other the negative?

I've heard this is what the ATI does.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Emotiva has produced some well done YouTube videos and in several they have included an audioprecision analyzer to help visualize what they showing with their products.
Funny that he talks about how great their 'soft clipping' circuit is, then in the next breath he explains how the massive distortion from their soft clipping circuit has the potential to destroy tweeters! Yeah guys, great soft clipping circuit you got there. :rolleyes:

bobfriedman

so my question is do we expect the same poor performance with the XPA-9 unit?... does doubling the power create this situation?

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
I think they want the panther removed...
Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 5.36.34 PM.png

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am dismayed, but holding out for an official response from Emotiva as I concur Keith just does not exactly ooze credibility. :D

Not looking promising, they have had plenty of time to respond. Too bad. :(

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Emotiva did respond, but did so on their store forum. Mostly an ad hominem argument about Amir's credibility, but he also mentions Hypex reconstruction filter mysticism, the price of Halcro, and how AHB2 is less powerful.

My response is to avoid Emotiva going forward, and continue recommending Hypex, Purifi, and AHB2 for most people who want performance in the $1k-$6k range.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Emotiva did respond, but did so on their store forum. Mostly an ad hominem argument about Amir's credibility, but he also mentions Hypex reconstruction filter mysticism, the price of Halcro, and how AHB2 is less powerful.

My response is to avoid Emotiva going forward, and continue recommending Hypex, Purifi, and AHB2 for most people who want performance in the $1k-$6k range.

Based on the more direct response from when their processor struggled, was expecting a comparable response. Would expect that to at least be a someone from their engineering. Do have to remember it is vacation season, so maybe a few more days?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm is no news, bad news?

Top Bottom