• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend an "entry level" setup

OP
N

nab1828

What speakers do you have hooked up to your Yamaha?

5.1 Onkyo HTIB from 2001 nvm those, the stereo system is for another room. The MusicCast is just cause I already have a MusicCast amp and small desk speaker, it's not a requirement really.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
5.1 Onkyo HTIB from 2001 nvm those, the stereo system is for another room. The MusicCast is just cause I already have a MusicCast amp and small desk speaker, it's not a requirement really.

Wasn't sure it was actually a different room for the 2ch thing. You should upgrade those speakers, tho, that's no way to listen to multich :) but if you really need to move to another room for listening to music.....then again, I'd skip the tt, too (I take it you already have a vinyl collection to play?).

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
So because later on you have the option to spend yet more money, you should go passive? Does not sound like a very good reason.

The Neumann’s are really small and meant for near-field listening, so behind a desk for instance. For anything further away they will quickly struggle.

Of course you can always spend more money, that wasn't my point. My point was the ability to upgrade your speakers without upgrading your amp or vice versa. It's why I chose passive speakers in the beginning and I am ever so grateful I did.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is entirely untrue. You either made a typo or used an incorrect web link.

I wish I did do something wrong......but......Go look at any of Erins reviews, same thing in all of his links.... Or simply try posting one for yourself.
Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 13.35.46.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 13.50.46.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 13.50.51.png

Robin L

Master Contributor
How many LPs do you already own?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My point was the ability to upgrade your speakers without upgrading your amp or vice versa.
The point of an active speaker is that the amps are matched to the drivers. There is no point in upgrading one without the other.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
no need to upgrade amplification - amps with adequate power are not spendy

Altho being able to just change speaker and place them where extra power cords aren't desired can definitely work well.....

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Apparently ASR blocks links to Erin's audio corner now.....:rolleyes:
Just the direct links. You can post to his youtube videos. His site is full of sponsored links and such and I can't allow promotion of those.

OP
N

nab1828

Wasn't sure it was actually a different room for the 2ch thing. You should upgrade those speakers, tho, that's no way to listen to multich :) but if you really need to move to another room for listening to music.....then again, I'd skip the tt, too (I take it you already have a vinyl collection to play?).

No turntable currently, but there's plenty of vinyl, yes. Some of it never played...

OP
N

nab1828

Yea I can't open any of the links, but they do show up when I Google search this thread.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No turntable currently, but there's plenty of vinyl, yes. Some of it never played...

Some vinyl is fine never being played. :) 50 isn't a count I'd buy hardware for, but YMMV. Good luck!

Robin L

Master Contributor
Around 50, it's not a big collection, but I can listen to each and every one from start to finish.
I'd advise spending less on the turntable, more on the speakers. I'd also advise not investing too much more in LPs. It's easy to listen to albums in their entirety online if you have a streaming service, not to mention CDs, which are now bargain basement in price. Almost all LPs will sound better in their digital incarnation and 99.9% of modern LPs are derived from digital masters or digital intermasters. While I understand the charm of LPs, sound quality of LPs suffers in comparison to digitally sourced music if one is actually paying attention. The Audio-Technica AT-LP60X Stereo Turntable is about the least one can spend and have a decent sound. The price/performance ratio of LP payback is the worst, more money only gives marginal improvements until serious money is involved. If you spend twice the amount of the AT-LP60X, you can expect only a 10% improvement in sound.

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For stereo listening i would do

MiniDSP DDRC-24
JBL Stage A130
Amplifier of choice
Streamer of choice (raspberry pi with usb out to MiniDSP possible).

if the A130 is not available then Kali IN-8 second wave (V2.0)

Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the original poster hasn't compared coaxial speakers like the Elac UB and Kali IN-8 to normal speakers, I highly recommend doing so, as the former don't sound physically broken when you are well above or well below their tweeter axis.

Top Bottom