• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ikea SYMFONISK Picture Frame Speaker Review

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Does this speaker signal a change in reviewing direction @amirm ?

The tests results speak for themselves- it's an absolute unmitigated disaster of a HiFi speaker, but you like it subjectively enough to give it a strong reccommendation because it's a Sonos wall mounted 'lifestyle' speaker? I don't get it.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice review.
Man, that main woofer is tiny at 3.5 inches/9 cm. Wonder if it uses some kind of transmission line to get that low.

No wonder directivity is wide and good.
Doesn't it mean that any speaker with a high-pass filter 48dB/oct starting at 60Hz has no SPL limit?

Dogen

Forum Donor
I can see these doing quite well. It certainly beats what lots of people listen to - crappy Bluetooth speakers - with virtually zero footprint. For an Airplay user it’s a simple way to get music into a domestic space.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Who is hooking this up to a stereo system?
AirPlay, Spotify, and Sonos app will cover 99% of what users want.
Not to mention they will work as Roon and LMS endpoints, including stereo paired. Sonos app covers FAR more music services than any competitor.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does this speaker signal a change in reviewing direction @amirm ?

The tests results speak for themselves- it's an absolute unmitigated disaster of a HiFi speaker, but you like it subjectively enough to give it a strong reccommendation because it's a Sonos wall mounted 'lifestyle' speaker? I don't get it.

I don't get the disaster comment.

airs

Not to mention they will work as Roon and LMS endpoints, including stereo paired. Sonos app covers FAR more music services than any competitor.

Is there a way this could be used as a stereo pair for a TV?

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If someone had told me, a few years ago, that we would have an argument about a cheap, but highly rated... IKEA speaker here, I would have spilled my coffee on my keyboard. And yet, he we are :)

Somafunk

Major Contributor

Me neither , seems like an out n’ out win for the majority of consumers who want an unobtrusive speaker, perhaps he’s just upset.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

It has more peaks and troughs than the Himalayas, no matter how you look at it.

1626911416143.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Now, what is the psycho-acoustic effect of numerous small peaks/valleys??
I am not sure how much of that is real. We saw those with the Monoprice in-wall I measured in free space:

index.php

To this with special half-space measurement:

index.php

Once we have half-space measurement capability with NFS together with wireless support, I might go back and remeasure this speaker and see what it looks like.

BTW, I did the computation for this speaker at first with 10 points per octave. It looked really good then! I then changed it to 20 points to match my other measurements and became quite ragged in contrast. So the high resolution is bringing things out that may not be audible.

Top Bottom