• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop AKG K7XX Review (Headphone)

Hark01

I would say K712 is a great headphone. Comfortable with spacious sound second only to HD800, but with warmer tonality. With EQ it became fantastic. Really surprised with distortion on K7xx. I suspect that this is limited to the Drop version.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
K7XX is not a K712, drivers differ but pads are the same.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like distortion on the K7 series is a mixed bag- even between different age models in the same line https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...p-akg-k7xx-review-headphone.24732/post-836601
I do still like both of those headphones, but my favourite one is the one with the better distortion profile, I don't know if that's why it sounds better, but there is slight differences between the pads on the two of them (thickness) which might be a factor rather than the distortion. (Pads should have been the same but the genuine pads from Thomann were slightly thicker than the stock pads that came with my other K702.....the K702 I prefer is the low distortion one which is also the one with the thinner pads). Maybe Thomann messed up and they're not actually genuine K702 pads when they say they are, and maybe that's why that headphone is showing higher distortion, I don't know, but if the pads don't affect distortion then it's true it looks like there is real variation in distortion levels / distortion characteristics between different K702's.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I do still like both of those headphones, but my favourite one is the one with the better distortion profile, I don't know if that's why it sounds better, but there is slight differences between the pads on the two of them (thickness) which might be a factor rather than the distortion. (Pads should have been the same but the genuine pads from Thomann were slightly thicker than the stock pads that came with my other K702.....the K702 I prefer is the low distortion one which is also the one with the thinner pads). Maybe Thomann messed up and they're not actually genuine K702 pads when they say they are, and maybe that's why that headphone is showing higher distortion, I don't know, but if the pads don't affect distortion then it's true it looks like there is real variation in distortion levels / distortion characteristics between different K702's.
Is it possible to swap the pads over and remeasure them? The answer/results should be very clear then :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible to swap the pads over and remeasure them? The answer/results should be very clear then :)
They were measured by Oratory (he's in Austria & I'm in the UK) for both frequency response & distortion, so I can't really do that unfortunately.

Top Bottom