• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Personally, I would still get the EX5 since it has bluetooth as well, which the D30PRO doesn't have. The D30PRO does have a tiny bit better performance but I don't think it would be audible. Outside of this it's also $50 dollars cheaper.
When used as a pure DAC one can also concider going a step "down" to the D50s. Sure it measures a tad less then the EX5 or D30Pro but it is still by all means transparent and has all the connectivity and is quite a bit cheaper.

D30Pro has much better DAC characteristics, especially crosstalk - 145 versus 85, and I think this is audible in comparison - for ex5, because of this, the scene will be narrower, and the detail is lower.
No
You will not hear a difference between 85 and 145 crosstalk values.
Not even going to comment on the scene getting "narrower and less detailed". I will go to Head-Fi if I want to listen to that nonsense.

R.Vic

No
You will not hear a difference between 85 and 145 crosstalk values.
Not even going to comment on the scene getting "narrower and less detailed". I will go to Head-Fi if I want to listen to that nonsense.

It's easy to check with the appropriate plugin, and I'm going to do it - let's see ...
And for this I have excellent monitors to hear - quested vs2108, and sennheiser hd 650.
And the experience of a sound engineer ...

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's easy to check with the appropriate plugin, and I'm going to do it - let's see ...
And for this I have excellent monitors to hear - quested vs2108, and sennheiser hd 650.
And the experience of a sound engineer ...
LOL :facepalm:
Do amuse us though..
Why do you accept that it is not an audible concern in the D30Pro thread but in this thread you're going to do a test that concludes absolutely nothing without a third independent party present.

Last edited:

R.Vic

Why do you accept that it is not an audible concern in the D30Pro thread but in this thread you're going to do a test that concludes absolutely nothing without a third independent party present.

There, I simply thanked for the opinion, but I'm not yet sure whether it is audible or not. I'll check it, and it will be clear.

RFox

If you're wanting a D70s better hurry before AK4497 chips are completely unavailable ;)

For your speakers it'll work wonderfully. What amp would you pair with it, though..?
I can now get either the D70s or Dx7Pro for same price of €649 - really unsure which to get and which has more bang for the buck ?!?! Really torn between the two . . .

Last edited:

SHENZHENAUDIO

Dealer
Really want to buy it, but no option to buy in Malta (EU) tried all of the amazon portals in the EU
Hello, Thanks for your message, do you mind purchase at our website directly? Amazon might have some limitations for some countries which far away from their warehouse.

renofury

Hello, Thanks for your message, do you mind purchase at our website directly? Amazon might have some limitations for some countries which far away from their warehouse.

Thanks for your reply and sorry I did actually manage to buy it on amazon.fr. I am now looking forward to receive this DAC

renofury

Veri

Master Contributor
To be safe that I do not pay the VAT twice I think I should cancel my amazon.fr order, and order it with the shop you suggested since it is already located in the EU.
I would suggest doing so :)

aandres_gm

Thanks for the info, I managed to order from Amazon.fr, however checking the order summary noticed the following:
Total Exc Vat: €349.99
VAT: €0
Total Inc Vat: €349.99.

To be safe that I do not pay the VAT twice I think I should cancel my amazon.fr order, and order it with the shop you suggested since it is already located in the EU.
Buying in Europe is a better idea, considering warranty issues. However, I believe Shenzhen Audio reimburses any import duties you pay on orders placed with them on Amazon.

renofury

I talked amazon.fr customer service, after checking they reassured me that prices on marketplace should be inclusive of VAT as per their terms. In case I would be charged VAT by customs, amazon advised me to talk to the seller. Still to be safe I requested a cancellation of the transaction, if approved I will order the same item from audiophonics.fr

SeriousSam70

Hello to you all ! My first post here.
Today I received the package with Topping EX5 ordered last week at Audiophonics.fr (after I found out about it from this forum).
EX5 replaces a Topping D50s (to which I was going to add an A50s to use with some HifiMan Sundara headphones), but after seeing Amir's review of the EX5 I decided to take the last one because it is a DAC + HP Amp combo, even that now I have no use for the D50s.
First thing I uninstalled and then reinstalled the Topping USB Audio driver v5.12.0 (although I don't think it was really necessary, considering that the former DAC was also a Topping product) and then I updated the firmware to v1.65 (my unit had v1.63). I downloaded the firmware update from "https://www.tpdz.net/download".
So far, I like the new unit in my PC near-field setup (EX5 hooked up via XLR cables to a Sabaj A20a desktop stereo integrated amplifier conducting a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 220), but I can't say that I really noticed any difference from the old D50s sound (which was to be expected, both units being very good and acoustically transparent DACs).
The display is larger and, therefore, more readable than the little screen of the D50s and I like the orange color more (it complements better the blue color of the Sabaj A20a display).
I have also briefly listened to the Sundaras through EX5 and I liked the sound from the HP out too. On Low Gain, with the volume set to 70 (out of 100), the sound is pretty loud. If I switch to Hi Gain with the volume set to 70, is already too loud (for my taste).
The volume is on a scale from 0 to 100, and not in dB (say from -99 dB to 0 dB, like more "professional" DACs), but that's not such a big deal after all.
The real problem from what I can tell so far is that the unit is running pretty HOT pretty quickly during operation (even after a couple of minutes after I turned it on, it was already hot), much more than the Sabaj A20a amplifier, for example. I suspect that the HP amplification portion of EX5 stays on even when the Line output is selected, because I don't think that the actual DAC portion can run so hot during operation. I hope this is a normal thing and that my unit is not defective, although I'm a little worried.
Can other Topping EX5 owners confirm the problem with overheating during operation, please?

[Edit]: By comparison, the D50s were running quite cool during operation.

Last edited:

SeriousSam70

I just got mine. Is there a way to have the display always show volume, or am I doomed to uselessly looking at 44.1 forever?
I think the sample rate is always displayed and the volume just briefly when you change it.

Top Bottom