• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple lossless official announcement

Foulchet

Same also. Be cause it is digital output, I guess that there is no reason not to put it at 100% level ? Lower levels might reduce dynamics (?)

eas

would you please clarify what do you mean by out-of-band in this case?
By out-of-band I mean separately from the audio bitstream.

I base this on the behavior of the Qudelix UI app, which shows the DACs internal volume control and also the volume control level of the USB or Bluetooth host device. Manipulating the iOS volume control changes the reported volume level on the Qudelix. I'm interpreting this as the result of a separate volume parameter rather than some inference made from the stream of samples.

eas

Mac Rumors jumped to an incorrect conclusion. The built in speakers on the iPhone XR are still supported for Atmos playback (such as it is). As to why Apple changed the language? Who knows, but someone noted that while the XS and XR were announced at the same time, The XR shipped about a month later.

vhild§

So Android app now has all the same bells and whistles as the iOS version: Lossless, hi-res and Atmos. The only and major trouble is Android’s internal sampling, which basically prevents getting bit perfect hi-res out of Android.

markb

Earlier in this thread people were calling for a Class Action Suit against Apple for not allowing full access to their hardware capabilities. Here we have Android inhibiting that in a different way and yet those people are quiet. ;)

Apple and Google aren’t significantly better or worse in comparison to each other when it comes to their business practices, so I never got those feuds. :)

dweekie

So Android app now has all the same bells and whistles as the iOS version: Lossless, hi-res and Atmos. The only and major trouble is Android’s internal sampling, which basically prevents getting bit perfect hi-res out of Android.

Unfortunately, casting lossless to Chromecast doesn't seem to be working. I hope this gets resolved, although wouldn't bet on it.

Taddpole

Unfortunately, casting lossless to Chromecast doesn't seem to be working. I hope this gets resolved, although wouldn't bet on it.

Didn't think chromecast could do ALAC and that's what apple streams isn't it?

dweekie

Didn't think chromecast could do ALAC and that's what apple streams isn't it?

From my reading and understanding, that's what is happening. I've only used Flac, so this is new to me. Is there any way to actually get high res Apple music on Android? I thought audio goes through the Android mixer, and external dacs only bypass it through uapp/hiby/neutron. Am I missing something that lets the App actually output lossless music?

vhild§

From my reading and understanding, that's what is happening. I've only used Flac, so this is new to me. Is there any way to actually get high res Apple music on Android? I thought audio goes through the Android mixer, and external dacs only bypass it through uapp/hiby/neutron. Am I missing something that lets the App actually output lossless music?

As far as I know, it’s impossible at the moment. Tidal has found a way around the Android resampler, but I doubt Apple has the energy to do the same.

Katji

Major Contributor
1627216143682.png

Do UAPP and Neutron do it successfully on all phone manufacturer's versions of Android?

Red@

Technically, it also dosen't allow bit perfect lossless (48 or 44.1) because the audio mixer resamples the music with very degrading artifacts (due to it's battery opimisation oriented techniques). Also almost all phone manufacturers include some dsp treatment of the sound (to make the sound "better") before it gets to the mixer.
So in my mind, if we don't use an android based DAP (with costum audio framework) we'll only be experiencing lossy anyway.

Last edited:

Thomas_bati

How is the situation with non-Apple products? Has lossless arrived on iTunes for Windows? Apple music via browser?

jmtocali

I'm using it in Android with my phone (Sony Xperia 1 II) and with a Nvidia Shield TV. Both use the android mixer for 48 and 44.1 files. Those albums with 96, 176.4 and 192 are being passed to the DAC without problem.

Top Bottom