• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva XPA-DR2 Review (Stereo Power Amplifier)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the ICE power model will provide similar distortion and more noise so they're a step down in my opinion, unless power efficiency is crucial to you.
Not this much. The 1200AS has SINAD 94 at 5W and 4 ohms, 30 dB quieter than the 64 dB here. And this ICEedge module has the high frequency distortion under control too, so a very competent module for the power and price.

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No this much. The 1200AS has SINAD 94 at 5W and 4 ohms, 30 dB quieter than the 64 dB here. And this ICEedge module has the high frequency distortion under control too, so a very competent module for the power and price.

can you link me the reviews? because I don't remember Amir measuring the high power ICE modules.

PeteL

Major Contributor
If I needed all this power (in a PA setup?) I would probably buy something like this https://www.thomann.de/de/crown_xls_2502.htm
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../crown-xls2502-stereo-amplifier-review.10627/
Two of these in bridged mono still cost less than the Emotiva.
But I don't think Emotiva is targeting Public Adress, we can doubt that anybody need that much power, I don't know, but it's certainly slightly about bragging right. It's a quiet amp, has no fans, I assume many "Old timers" In the audiophile game that don't believe in class D and chasing low SINAD, there are still many, would subjectively give high marks for something like that. Audible distortion don't necessarily mean bad sound, and not only "tube like" distortions. Nelson Pass class A designs have had even higher numbers but still have had cult like follower base, and that's just an example.

respice finem

Major Contributor
For bragging rights, it should measure "a bit" better IMHO - but certainly, if "power is everything", why not. The Pass class A is proof, we can hear less than we would like to believe...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I don't trust the fact that the ICE modules perform as well as the Hypex modules perform. When Amir measured the ICE125X2, it performed 8 dB worse than the Hypex NC252MP.
Different ICEpower models have different specs.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Different ICEpower models have different specs.

and if you would pay attention to these specs you would see that they are done @ 100Hz before the signature Class D 'rising distortion with rising frequency' kicks in.

1626693105781.png

linearity across the entire frequency range is what makes the Hypex better at all situations.

In fact non-linearity in harmonic Distortion could actually be more audible in certain situations (than higher but linear overall distortion) as the harmonic distortion will emphasize the high frequencies making the speaker potentially brighter.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Oups. That is stunningly poor distorsion performance.

Which is a shame regarding all other areas: Noise, power output and so on.

Here are the measurements by Hi-Fi News: https://www.hifinews.com/content/emotiva-xsp-1xpa-dr2-prepower-amplifier-lab-report

It didn't seem that bad over there, though not as detailed/reliable as AP testing.

For relative comparaison, @John Atkinson measured the non-differential model (XPA Gen 3), which also showed some flaws: https://www.stereophile.com/content/emotiva-xpa-gen3-two-channel-power-amplifier-measurements
There's something wrong here. Paul Miller said
distortion is well managed at 0.004%/1W to 0.007%/10W and 0.008%/100W before falling back to 0.004% at higher power prior to clipping (distortion is also very consistent across the 20Hz-20kHz audio range)
0.004% is -88 db and 0.008% is -82 dB. Is it possible that these need precise internal setup and Amir's sample has drifted off?

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
To think I was almost upsold to this "upgrade" after talking with the Emotiva support about a XPA issue. Thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...weird-phenomenon-with-emotiva-xpa-gen3.23394/

The issue in short: the sound was compressed, peaks weren't as powerful as with any other amp I ever had. To this day I can only guess the cause, ranging from the RCA output/input sensivity or a broken Class H design.

Also reminder people: You rarely even reach a volume demand or setup that requires more than 100 watt for home audio. For example, I firmly believe that no one has ever brought a AHB2 to it's knees, reaching the 200 watt power protection shutoff.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir. This is one I had on the dream list a couple years ago. Good thing I found ASR!

Agree with comments Ice Power 1200 is better at this price, and Hypex 1200 and 2000 are far better for a little more. Still, a beast of an amp and far less expensive than many options.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
and if you would pay attention to these specs you would see that they are done @ 100Hz before the signature Class D 'rising distortion with rising frequency' kicks in.

View attachment 142167

linearity across the entire frequency range is what makes the Hypex better at all situations.

In fact non-linearity in harmonic Distortion could actually be more audible in certain situations (than higher but linear overall distortion) as the harmonic distortion will emphasize the high frequencies making the speaker potentially brighter.
No need to speculate, the datasheet shows that highs are under control.

ICEpower 1200AS
IMG_20210719_084649.jpg

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ample headroom to power the Dali's you've reviewed earlier. But Emotiva is aiming more for the AV crowd right? . ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Actually, this model is targeting audiophiles:
"The XPA-DR2 is a high-powered two-channel audiophile power amplifier that combines the exceptional accuracy and finesse of a true balanced differential design with the power you need to deliver musical crescendos and movie special effects with stunning realism and impact. Whatever your listening preferences, the XPA-DR2 will give you the combination of detail and power than only a fully differential amplifier can provide"

Shike

It strikes me as odd Emotiva would allow a design with issues to get out the door like this, they used to publish APA measurements on all their designs but I guess they've decided they aren't relevant/worth it?

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To think I was almost upsold to this "upgrade" after talking with the Emotiva support about a XPA issue. Thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...weird-phenomenon-with-emotiva-xpa-gen3.23394/

The issue in short: the sound was compressed, peaks weren't as powerful as with any other amp I ever had. To this day I can only guess the cause, ranging from the RCA output/input sensivity or a broken Class H design.

Also reminder people: You rarely even reach a volume demand or setup that requires more than 100 watt for home audio. For example, I firmly believe that no one has ever brought a AHB2 to it's knees, reaching the 200 watt power protection shutoff.
AHB2 in stereo or bridged mode? I have the AHB2 and have been debating whether it has the headroom for less efficient bookshelf speakers (84 dB), but I'm only 5 feet away .

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It strikes me as odd Emotiva would allow a design with issues to get out the door like this, they used to publish APA measurements on all their designs but I guess they've decided they aren't relevant/worth it?
Obviously not relevant as the overwhelmingly positive reviews by discriminating audiophiles on their site indicate 100% satisfaction which means it's a successful product regardless of what we think. Distortion? Sure but speakers throw in their own distortion and likely at 85 dB listening levels will mask these artifacts. Ultimately, it's why people are now buying pro-audio 1000 watt amplifiers from Behringer and Crown for less than $500.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
AHB2 in stereo or bridged mode? I have the AHB2 and have been debating whether it has the headroom for less efficient bookshelf speakers (84 dB), but I'm only 5 feet away .
Oh yeah, forgot you can bridge it for about up to 500 watt? Don't have the exact number in mind but it's about that range. If I remember the review correctly it's absolutely distortion free until it shuts itself off. So you're free to try to turn your bookshelf speakers into PA speakers. I bet your hearing or the speakers will give in before the AHB2.
chrome_5HqfNLSqxR.png

Edit: Looking at this calculation you have about 110 dbSPL at 200 Watt at 1 meter. This is huge and way above anything you'd ever need. For reference, at about 85 dbSPL it starts getting unconfortable when listening for several minutes.

Top Bottom