• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple lossless official announcement

chelgrian

See this is what I mean. Scrapping requirements. That's dumb. Don't call it Atmos then.

Also, Logic Pro is a decent way to start (you could already do this with their plug-in, but now it's coming with native support). To mix in Atmos though you're going to need a lot more things like a renderer (and obviously all the other things that come with proper Atmos mixing like a 7.1.4 setup which isn't going to be cheap if you're looking to do this using proper speakers).

A proper 7.1.4 setup doesn't strike me as something indies would have access to tbh.

So this new fangled stereo recording technology only licensed practitioners should be allowed to use it in licensed rooms?

Either Dolby opened this up or it would never see adoption and if a sound field based system was wanted by the market (which the jury is still out on) then a competing and open system would win out. Personally I would prefer that but Dolby have managed to get distribution to sign up to Atmos.

Currently the cost of entry for 7.1.4 monitoring system is less than 10k so accessible to independents. This is not going to hit film reference levels or be properly calibrated but for producing music this segment of the market does not care.

Katji

Major Contributor
Note some distinction between Atmos and "Spatial Audio." Spatial Audio not quite a brand name/trademark but a concept. So when we are talking about what Apple will provide with Logic Pro, Atmos/whatever standards are not applicable.

chelgrian

Note some distinction between Atmos and "Spatial Audio." Spatial Audio not quite a brand name/trademark but a concept. So when we are talking about what Apple will provide with Logic Pro, Atmos/whatever standards are not applicable.

Obviously it would be nice if they supported a variety of mechanisms for example ambisonics. However each spatial audio mechanism requires specific support in a DAW.

I suppose Apple are using Atmos as a delivery mechanism and if they delivered bed only mixes then the could use whatever front end mechanism they want then render to a a bed for delivery from Logic.

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I believe “Spatial Audio” also refers to a technology that incorporates feedback from a motion sensor in dedicated earbuds or headphones that allows the soundspace to ”track” the listeners head movement, so that sound objects always sound like they’re fixed in space rather than rotate with the listener’s head. Trippy.

mel

Can old stereo music convert to Dolby Atoms? How did they do that?

I jumped in this thread at the end. I came across this thread from a Google search. Excuse me if someone already pointed out the key is actually well understood hearing science: Head-related_transfer_function (HRTF) .

You can probably achieve the "Atmos height" effects (x.1.4) rotating in a chair with a horseshoe shaped speaker configuration, without Atmos speakers. You probably don't need Dolby, but you would get much better sound effects with Dolby. A configuration like Dolby 5.1 or 7.1, at least inferring from scientific studies. I explain how you can prove it to yourself while outdoors, like cycling or listening to birds.

Feels like I have walked from one side of the soundstage to the other, after rotating, with closed eyes, from one side to the other. Prove for yourself.

If you want to know the gory scientific details, I have been writing about it in this post.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...like-or-concert-hall-height.24933/post-846981

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic

How does it work?
The Dolby Surround upmixer is based on phase and gain relationships of elements in the signal, but importantly employs wideband functionality that analyzes and processes multiple perceptually spaced frequency bands in the signal. The benefit is a finer-grained analysis of the source content prior to steering. The result, we believe, is a more accurate soundstage. When employed with overhead or Dolby-enabled speakers there is sense of additional spaciousness or what I call "air."​

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-...calization_of_sound_in_virtual_auditory_space

A basic assumption in the creation of a virtual auditory space is that if the acoustical waveforms present at a listener's eardrums are the same under headphones as in free field, then the listener's experience should also be the same.

Typically, sounds generated from headphones are perceived as originating from within the head. In the virtual auditory space, the headphones should be able to "externalize" the sound. Using the HRTF, sounds can be spatially positioned using the technique described below.

• A horseshoe shape ∩

Last edited:

BinkieHuckerback

A slight tangent - has anyone noticed Apple Music on iPhone to be unstable after the introduction of lossless? Would that even make a difference?
I can no longer shuffle songs in my library and the app crashes - something it never did before.
Apple support suggested un-syncing and then re-syncing the library to enable the shuffle songs, which can work for a listening session, but when listening is resumed after a break, shuffle no longer works and the app crashes a couple of times before any music at all can be played.

eas

A slight tangent - has anyone noticed Apple Music on iPhone to be unstable after the introduction of lossless? Would that even make a difference?
I can no longer shuffle songs in my library and the app crashes - something it never did before.
Apple support suggested un-syncing and then re-syncing the library to enable the shuffle songs, which can work for a listening session, but when listening is resumed after a break, shuffle no longer works and the app crashes a couple of times before any music at all can be played.

Yes, the AppleMusic Reddit is filled with people complaining/wondering about the many issues. One thing that comes up a lot is the audio cutting out after 15s into a track, sometimes accompanied by a loud burst of white noise.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Had it tested on more than 10 devices, not an issue here. It looks like a buffering issue to me, so it would be good to find out if this is due to customer bandwidth/speed or Apple servers/CDN.

The interface is slower than any other streaming services tested (compared with Deezer, Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal), but this is happening due to the way Apple cloud and app works.

Foulchet

I had the 15s problem as soon as Lossless/Atmos was introduced (for every track, sometimes even 0s). I removed the app, then logged off from icloud and relogged in and the problem only came once for one or two tracks.

Katji

Major Contributor
Yes, known issue with shuffle. You have to remove and re-add tracks or something...that's why Apple user support saidre-do the Sync.

tgray

I had the 15 second stop issue on Apple TV. Worked fine, one day it started so I disabled lossless and everything was fine. A few days later I turned lossless back on and the problem was gone. Definitely not a bandwidth issue on my end.

Reactions: trl

Foulchet

Both Wifi and mobile on the iPhone 11 Pro. Maybe there was some files/cache conflict which was more proeminent of course at first launch.

Reactions: trl

BinkieHuckerback

Thanks for replies - it's not just me...
I got some 'white noise'/'static' that abruptly stopped one track playing via mobile data today.
The issues I have with shuffle and crashing occur on an iPhone XS on both mobile data and home Wi-Fi.
Is the view that these issues will be corrected over time, or is that wishful thinking?
I loved the shuffle songs option - get to listen to all sorts of stuff out on a bike ride. The re-sync option is just not working for me

Foulchet

Just buy the adapter and try. You might find it useful anyway. If you get a DAP, check that it´s Airplay 2-compatible. Some are only Airplay 1.

I finally had the opportunity to install my setting (I was on vacation) and I am happy to say that the "big" (in fact smaller than expected, hopefully) adapter (the one with lightning+USB ports) works well. I had to remove my Smart Battery Case to make it work (the connection was not stable with it, in fact I was a bit afraid when at first the sound was played by the iPhone loudspeakers). No sonic difference with or without charging, so it is more a convenience than something else. No power warning/error with my powered DAC at max iPhone level.
Paired with my new HD560S (which I like a lot more than my AKG 712 Pro), the sound experience is now close to Heaven.

BitPerfect_

Thank you for sharing.
Q: you are able to use the iPhone volume or the output signal it’s always delivered at maximum level?

Top Bottom