• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Custom Grado Clone With Elleven Acoustica R1 Driver Review

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So @solderdude , do they just place the plastic standard driver in a machined Aluminium outer shell and call it their own?

View attachment 141976

Looks like it. No proof of course.

Below the original Hemp driver.
Grado driver.jpg

They sure measure very similar to Grado 125/225/325 drivers.

P.S. the picture used is from http://earphonediylabs.com

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you change the driver, the cups, the headband, is this actually a Grado at all? The pads look different to the stock foam donuts too.

Its basically Grado Gimbals

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't think the expensive ones sounded poor, but we know that pad influence sound and maybe the smaller type pads worked better with my head type than the big Donuts? That's in term of sound, the statement serie was more confortable.

I actually enjoy my PS1000 and GS1000 (not sure if they are the "i" versions or pre "i" but defintely not "e" series). But I appreciate they are objectively poor. The GS1000 actually has bass but I suspect the wrong type- its wooly!

EQ does touch them up nicely and I'm notoriously unable to detect distortions in music.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Nothing wrong with enjoying a certain sound signature, even without EQ.
Grado's have a substantial following cult.
The early ones were different and have a legendary status.

The tested headphone measures a lot like Grado's which isn't by accident.
There is not more/better bass, there is still the midrange peak and excessive treble.
That, however, is also pad dependent.
The Grado 225 pads look very similar to the pads on the measured one. They could well be Geekria or other pads though.

Last edited:

Chyżwar

Tried most Grado headphones around 2012. The sound was a joke, the price was an even bigger joke. There is also a huge problem with quality control.
If you're looking for neutral headphones, look elsewhere.
Still, some of my friends like the GS1000i or PS1000, especially for classical music.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Looks like it. No proof of course.

Below the original Hemp driver.

Can't see any hemp in that- unless they were smoking it. ;)

Looks like any and all chinese, plastic framed, pleated cone drivers we have been seeing forever. Wow.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
the hemp (only the enclosure) ;)

1626611677508.png

Substantially different pads though which, IMO, explains the difference in sound.

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
Best way to modify a Grado product is to modify it's ownership by putting it on eBay. I have never understood their popularity. They are the most uncomfortable headphones I have ever had on. Amir said he got uncomfortable after fifteen minutes. For me, it's fifteen seconds. I'd have put the custom driver money towards headphones that don't 'need' $164 worth of 'help'.

H-713

I've always liked Grado headphones. The only issue I have with them is build quality- they're pretty poor in that regard. They have their own sound, but I find that particular sound less annoying than most headphones.

To me they're only slightly uncomfortable. A lot of people find them exceedingly uncomfortable though.

gjcourt

Nothing wrong with enjoying a certain sound signature, even without EQ.
Grado's have a substantial following cult.
The early ones were different and have a legendary status.

The tested headphone measures a lot like Grado's which isn't by accident.
There is not more/better bass, there is still the midrange peak and excessive treble.
That, however, is also pad dependent.
The Grado 225 pads look very similar to the pads on the measured one. They could well be Geekria or other pads though.

Pads are indeed the Geekria pads, though I’m dubious as to how much the sound would change between these and OEM L Cush pads given roughly the same dimensions.

I don’t personally have a headphone measurement rig, however comparing these to my SR60i they certainly sound different to me. My own perception is the 60i lacks bass (even more so than these), also very easy to overdrive the 60i to the point where you can either hear the membrane start to rattle (or maybe it’s hitting the housing?)

Haven’t had the chance to directly compare these to any other grado models, so it could very well sound like the 125i / 225i.

Fun to seeing these objectively measured and stacked up against other proper headphones. Excited to see more DIY projects measured!

PeteL

Major Contributor
Grado should have stuck to making cartridges. I had a pair of their headphones (SR80?) and they sounded pretty much as these measured.
I have not listen to these measured, but SR80 yes, and Grado makes much better headphones than that. To me sr80 is unlistenable, their higher end offerings are very nice.

PeteL

Major Contributor
owner here, gimbals are shipibo (not grado) so no genuine grado parts in these cans at all
Yeah I wonder why the title says, custom Grados, where there is nothing Grado about them beside the look.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
owner here, gimbals are shipibo (not grado) so no genuine grado parts in these cans at all
Point of order here for @amirm . I think Grado would be within their rights to ask you to retitle this thread removing Grado name. Not that genuine Grado would fare any better of course.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The low end grados lack the bass punch and good FR. They’re not everyone’s cup of tea for fit and comfort and aftermarket pads don’t make them any better. They’re a love hate relationship at best.I have a pair of SR80e with G cushions and I can only listen to them with classical music.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
The low end grados lack the bass punch and good FR. They’re not everyone’s cup of tea for fit and comfort and aftermarket pads don’t make them any better. They’re a love hate relationship at best.
To my ears it really starts at sr-325

Top Bottom