• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be honest I prefer to export the correction as a convolution file and load into either the player (JRiver, Roon, etc) or directly into the OS wide EQ (Equalizer APO). More CPU needed and multiple files per sample rate is a pain, but in the end a better result (phase coherency).

Hardware PEQ is just for convenience or if someone does not use a computer source with the DAC (CD transport, cell phone).

Tks

Major Contributor
If you leave the gain on all the bands on zero, no. Meaning, it depends on what you do with the EQ. 5 bands can be to limited if you want to do room and speaker correction.

My biggest wish; a high quality DAC with a sub out, that would be a game changer. Almost no options available today (targeted at home hifi use).

Yeah that's another thing I don't get. No DAC's with dedicated sub-out, to compliment many incoming sub-in equipped active speakers or just simple subs.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah that's another thing I don't get. No DAC's with dedicated sub-out, to compliment many incoming sub-in equipped active speakers or just simple subs.
Dedicated sub out is not that critical since most active subs have low pass filter anyway. Problem is not having high pass outs to the fronts while having the low pass outs...

Tks

Major Contributor
Dedicated sub out is not that critical since most active subs have low pass filter anyway. Problem is not having high pass outs to the fronts while having the low pass outs...
Obviously none of this is critical, and is why moany audiophile setups look to normal people like some crazy hobby gone too far.. I could say DACAMP combo's aren't critical, when you can have a DAC and an AMP separately.

When everything is moving toward checklist spec sheet fulfillment. I'm not sure why or how audio devices can survive when you have on the market something like 100 standalone DACs. With nearly all of them simply providing, single USB+Coax+Optical inputs, and Analogue out, and that's that.

I can't tell you how refreshing it is to see some obscure company's product reviewed, and you see rarities like multiple Toslink inputs for example, or something like EQ like the RME devices.

Geert

Major Contributor
Dedicated sub out is not that critical since most active subs have low pass filter anyway.
For me it is critical since I have DSP filters for do phase correction on the main outs, which I don't want to get applied to the sub.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @MC_RME

I'm trying to understand if Loudness feature works when ADI-2 FS DAC (V2) is fed PCM705/768kHz.

I read section 8.8 of manual.

Is Loundess @ PCM705/768k still possible if I have all other EQ off?

1626093664718.png

Trell

Major Contributor
Hi @MC_RME

I'm trying to understand if Loudness feature works when ADI-2 FS DAC (V2) is fed PCM705/768kHz.

I read section 8.8 of manual.

Is Loundess @ PCM705/768k still possible if I have all other EQ off?

View attachment 140670

Apparently not, is my interpretation. If you have that kind of content and the DAC you could try it out as there are separate buttons for EQ, Bass/Treble and Loudness.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This screen's info lines show the current FX configuration, but not the current FX state. That was not the intention here. To know if the effect is really active or not go into the menu, respective output, and check the settings. Loudness here will say (On), means On but currently not available because of the sample rate. That () thing to show this kind of state is also used in other functions.

Music1969

Major Contributor
This screen's info lines show the current FX configuration, but not the current FX state. That was not the intention here. To know if the effect is really active or not go into the menu, respective output, and check the settings. Loudness here will say (On), means On but currently not available because of the sample rate. That () thing to show this kind of state is also used in other functions.

Thanks, crystal clear.

SmfshR

Hi,

I am new to ASR, though I have been stalking the forum for some 6 months now! I have been wanting to buy the Topping DX7 Pro/SMSL M400 but seeing the numerous recent problems with Topping/SMSL convinced me to look elsewhere. I am finally setting for the RME ADI2 DAC FS but there are a couple of things I would humbly like to have you guys' expert opinion before diving into the DAC world.

First, I listened mostly (99.99%) to Rock/Metal music (original m4a from Apple, Apple Music Loseless Audio subscription, FLACs from bandcamp.com, and a Deezer Hifi subscription). The DAC will be connected to my PC (ASIO or WASAPI). Which version of the RME should I get, the AKM or ESS version? The reason I am asking is that I have seen in many reviews that AKM tends to sound warm compared to ESS? While it may seem subjective, I would gladly welcome feedback from anyone who listen to rock music whether it makes a difference if it is AKM or ESS?

Second, is the updated ADI-2 DAC using the ES9028Q2M has the ESS IMD "hump" problem?

Thank you in advance!

Trell

Major Contributor
Hi,

I am new to ASR, though I have been stalking the forum for some 6 months now! I have been wanting to buy the Topping DX7 Pro/SMSL M400 but seeing the numerous recent problems with Topping/SMSL convinced me to look elsewhere. I am finally setting for the RME ADI2 DAC FS but there are a couple of things I would humbly like to have you guys' expert opinion before diving into the DAC world.

First, I listened mostly (99.99%) to Rock/Metal music (original m4a from Apple, Apple Music Loseless Audio subscription, FLACs from bandcamp.com, and a Deezer Hifi subscription). The DAC will be connected to my PC (ASIO or WASAPI). Which version of the RME should I get, the AKM or ESS version? The reason I am asking is that I have seen in many reviews that AKM tends to sound warm compared to ESS? While it may seem subjective, I would gladly welcome feedback from anyone who listen to rock music whether it makes a difference if it is AKM or ESS?

Second, is the updated ADI-2 DAC using the ES9028Q2M has the ESS IMD "hump" problem?

Thank you in advance!

Just get whichever version you can get hold of. The specs on both versions is the same and the only reason a new version of the DAC is released is because of the AKM factory fire last year, making it hard to get components. The Pro version of the DAC will stay the same as they have enough AKM chips for that product.

As for the ESS IMD "hump" I've no idea if that is present in the new version, something perhaps @MC_RME can answer?

Franlober

I hope you do not consider this off topic, I have read 90% of the thread and I am predisposed to buy this RME ADI, however last night in bed my pillow advised me to be cautious. You see ... I have a very modest stereo equipment, Focal Aria 936 speaker, these are hungry for watts and current, also they can sporadically go down to 2.8 Ohms. I feed them with an Onkyo A-9755 class D amplifier that outputs over 300W at 3 Ohms. It is a 2004 dual mono design with two large power supplies, the unit weighs about 18KG. -about 40 pounds- and it moves the Focal very well, another thing is the sound quality. The usual source is FLAC, WAW and DSD files on a Lenovo laptop with JRiver to which a Topping D10 DAC is connected to the Line input of the Onkyo.
Do you advise me this RME ADI, do you think I will notice a big difference? I know that the best of my team are the Focals but I think they are wasted, that I am missing something and I am afraid it is a lot.
I had also thought that for a similar price I could buy a Cayin CS-55 or similar, what do you think?
Sorry for my English translated with Google Translator

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope you do not consider this off topic, I have read 90% of the thread and I am predisposed to buy this RME ADI, however last night in bed my pillow advised me to be cautious. You see ... I have a very modest stereo equipment, Focal Aria 936 speaker, these are hungry for watts and current, also they can sporadically go down to 2.8 Ohms. I feed them with an Onkyo A-9755 class D amplifier that outputs over 300W at 3 Ohms. It is a 2004 dual mono design with two large power supplies, the unit weighs about 18KG. -about 40 pounds- and it moves the Focal very well, another thing is the sound quality. The usual source is FLAC, WAW and DSD files on a Lenovo laptop with JRiver to which a Topping D10 DAC is connected to the Line input of the Onkyo.
Do you advise me this RME ADI, do you think I will notice a big difference? I know that the best of my team are the Focals but I think they are wasted, that I am missing something and I am afraid it is a lot.
I had also thought that for a similar price I could buy a Cayin CS-55 or similar, what do you think?
Sorry for my English translated with Google Translator
Buy somewhere you can try and return if needed. Only testing in your system you will be sure if it is worth it.

Franlober

Buy somewhere you can try and return if needed. Only testing in your system you will be sure if it is worth it.

In the US this is well accepted, in Spain it is possible but it is not often done, in any case I would like to receive some opinions from you, the experts

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In the US this is well accepted, in Spain it is possible but it is not often done, in any case I would like to receive some opinions from you, the experts
I had, until recently, an RME ADI-2 DAC FS. It developed a fault and so I had to send it in for repairs. In the meantime, I used a Topping D10 DAC and the headphone jack on my integrated amp. I did not notice any audible difference between the two set-ups. Therefore, when they sent me a brand new RME DAC (they couldn’t repair it), I sold it and kept using the “replacement” system.

That is a long-winded way of saying that I do not think you will notice a difference by changing the DAC. The main advantage of the RME is the rich feature set it has, but I didn’t use these and therefore they weren’t of value to me.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Ranton

First of all, I think you are being very modest when you say you have a "very modest" system! Those Focal Arias are very fine speakers--I run a pair of them in my home theater; I've listened to music on them and they are very nice.:)

Secondly, you haven't really said what your objective is, but I take it that you are looking for "better sound," or at least a different sound. To that end, upgrading the DAC is probably one of the LAST things I'd do, though the PEQ capability on the ADI-2 could at least enable you to play with the sound a bit.

I'm not familiar with your amp, but in general Class D amps have a very neutral, accurate sound. People who like the warm, fuzzy euphonic distortion produced by tube amps often describe Class D as "sterile, cold, thin, ...". So, if you are looking for something different, moving to a "warmer" amp might be a way to go. Whether "different" is really "better" is a matter of subjective opinion!

Before buying any new equipment, however, I'd play around with speaker placement, and perhaps apply some room treatments to the corners, first-reflection points, and behind the main listening position (if applicable) to reduce any unhelpful resonance in your room.

Top Bottom