• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Powered VS Separates

antennaguru

It isn't even on my radar to begin with particularly so sinking in isn't even an issue. Active systems are what they are, they don't necessarily prove out your consumer expectations.....

I've spent plenty of time in studios, and heard more than my fair share of terrible sounding monitors.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've spent plenty of time in studios, and heard more than my fair share of terrible sounding monitors.

Then again the focus here is on in typical home systems rather than pro setups. I've spent time in studios some 30-40 years ago but not so much overall, but was generally impressed vs home setups. Very limited in a general sense...

ps Differences were more likely due to room setup than specific speakers...

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ATC might be considered more the exception than the rule, and Genelec probably is in the same range.....the rest, meh
Also several other active monitors brands exist which have products operating without problems for decades and are even able to service them still today, for example Klein+Hummel (now called Neumann) and Geithain.

In the end old active designs without DSP are easy to repair as they usually use common electronic parts which are easily available, even my 1978 Philips motional feedback active monitors work fine today after replacing few electrolytic capacitors.

dfuller

Major Contributor
In the end old active designs without DSP are easy to repair as they usually use common electronic parts which are easily available, even my 1978 Philips motional feedback active monitors work fine today after replacing few electrolytic capacitors.
This is generally why I tend to prefer analog active over DSP, other reasons notwithstanding. I'm reasonably capable with electronics, I can fix most analog audio circuits. What I can't fix is the digital stuff. I don't have the equipment or the training to do so, even if I could get the replacement parts.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Also several other active monitors brands exist which have products operating without problems for decades and are even able to service them still today, for example Klein+Hummel (now called Neumann) and Geithain.
K+H i know, i use a K+HO300 since 2009. not me but Woofer, mid and power amp broken . the unavailability of parts makes repairs hazardous but not impossible
I had to finish the calibration of my O300 and Sennheiser France refusing to help me
Neumann i know, i use a KH420 since 2017. Neumann sold models with a flawed medium. The noise generate the medium should never have let them leave the factory.

https://www.aktives-hoeren.de/viewtopic.php?t=9650
I bought a pair of demos to be on a working speaker. it's still very good speakers

KH 120 same fight

do not peddle legends about speakers and brands of which you will ignore the experience

antennaguru

Posts 43 and 45 in the thread highlighted below tell about a 50 year old pair of 2 Way monitors made by IMF Electronics, their Compact Monitor 2 (CM2), with some really fine BBC engineering history. I paid $400 for these speakers (used) a couple of years ago and put around $200 into them, and for $600 total they should be good for another 50 years of operation. There are a boatload of nice sounding amps in the $1K-2K range which can be paired with these speakers and will IMO blow the doors off the poorly reviewed ATC SCM19A offering that costs $10K, leaving many $K in your bank account to pay for future amplifier swap outs - which will be very easy because the amplifiers won't be cut and screwed into a hole in the speakers.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ith-good-measurements.9637/page-3#post-821840

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
do not peddle legends about speakers and brands of which you will ignore the experience
I have been few times in Wedemark where they are engineered and know how careful they dealt in the end with the thermal expansion problems of the KH420. I also know many more than your experiences of great service and repairs but in the end both are individual experiences depending also on the local distributors, which may be poor(er) in some countries. What I agree though is that I have the feeling that the Sennheiser take over didn't make the service better compared to the old K+H times.

Top Bottom