• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Starkrimson® Stereo Ultra Integrated -- Coming Soon

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Coming Soon...500W Stereo Integrated Streaming amplifier

I guess the cat is out of the bag now.
Integrated.jpg

Preliminary test results

All measurements with 8-ohm load, looking very good so far.

Bench mode 22.4kHz BW -- 48kHz DAC Sample Rate
1626477645871.png

Wideband FFT -40dB output 0dB = 44.72Vrms -- 48kHz DAC Sample Rate
Wideband FFT Spectrum -40dB Output.jpg

Wideband FFT -40dB output 0dB = 44.72Vrms -- 192kHz DAC sample rate
Wideband FFT Spectrum -40dB Output.jpg

THD+N Ratio Vs Output Power (22.4kHz BW) -- 48kHz DAC Sample Rate
1626476939535.png

IMD Distortion (SMPTE Ratio vs Measured Level)-- 22.4kHz BW -- 48kHz DAC Sample Rate
1626477549521.png

Jitter Specturm and Noise 22.4kHz BW -- 48kHz DAC Sample Rate -- 256kFFT 16 Averages
1626478056581.png

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice. What are the inputs?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Just ethernet.

Well it's not an integrated amplifier. The functions of a preamplifier and power amplifer together make an integrated amplifier. Yours is more like a streaming/network amplifier.

Integrated amplifiers have multiple inputs, physical volume and other fuctions (filters/tone/outputs/switching etc).

Is that 3 separate power supplies (standby/5V/SPMPS)?

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Well it's not an integrated amplifier. The functions of a preamplifier and power amplifier together make an integrated amplifier. Yours is more like a streaming/network amplifier.

Depending on which manufacturer you look at everybody calls it something different. In general, I agree with you. I have not settled on a final name. The idea is to combine my streamer and amps into a single box and have a very small footprint solution where one only needs to add speakers.

No. There are two power supplies
1. The SMPS1200A100 actually outputs 5 different voltages all of which I use for the amp modules
2. There is a 9V SMPS supply for the DAC and RPi.
The green square PCB with big blue relay is a soft-start module

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
It looks like there are a couple of XLR inputs on the board on the right front? Could those be plumbed to provide analog inputs?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Those are outputs, not inputs.

Oh. Boo, hiss... I don't know the demand for analog inputs but a pair might be nice if at all possible. OTOH, doesn't sound like they are a requirement for your target market.

What are the pair of large caps tacked on to each of the output boards? They look like afterthoughts though I am sure you have a very good reason for them (serious, judging by this and previous works of yours, I am curious).

USB input a possibility? One thing I miss from most USB interfaces is they won't act as a controller for an external USB disc drive...

Last edited:
OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Oh. Boo, hiss... I don't know the demand for analog inputs but a pair might be nice if at all possible. OTOH, doesn't sound like they are a requirement for your target market.

What are the pair of large caps tacked on to each of the output boards? They look like afterthoughts though I am sure you have a very good reason for them (serious, judging by this and previous works of yours, I am curious).

USB input a possibility? One thing I miss from most USB interfaces is they won't act as a controller for an external USB disc drive...

For analog inputs you would buy stereo amplifier.

I do not have plan for USB at this time. There may be SPFIF in the future, then a simple USB to SPDIF converter will solve that problem.

Kachda

Forum Donor
So the only way to play music from this is via streaming ? That seems a bit limiting. Given that it has a DAC, at least a coax or toslink input should be available ?

Kachda

Forum Donor
An electrical wire nut in a piece of electronics?

View attachment 142763

That is a new one. In transit this can shake and unscrew itself. They are only made for stationary use in electrical panels and such.
Haha, i saw that as well but presumed this was a test unit

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Where's @Thomas savage when we need him? He is most qualified to address @amirm 's obsession with nuts.

Edit: Realized that could be taken multiple ways; oh well, too tired to rewrite it...

KingRolo

Well it's not an integrated amplifier. The functions of a preamplifier and power amplifer together make an integrated amplifier. Yours is more like a streaming/network amplifier.

Integrated amplifiers have multiple inputs, physical volume and other fuctions (filters/tone/outputs/switching etc).

With volumio you can stream, play digital files from storage.. also connect a Cd-Rom.
It’s 2021 maybe we need to move along with our terminology.
Integrated to me mean’s different media being integrated into a system. Whether it’s analog or digital should not make a difference.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Integrated to me mean’s different media being integrated into a system
Not really, it's about integrating separates into one unit... amp, preamp and input switching/controls.

That said a digital input streaming amp is most welcome.

JSmith

maty

Major Contributor
Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra 2.0; the GaN FET other Class D amps should fear.

Top Bottom