• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal reportedly enabling bit-perfect playback to USB DAC on Android

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I first want to sort out if it's the dragontail cable or the DAC. It's cheaper I think to swap the cable but would like to pick a cable that is known to be successful. I am operating under the impression it still needs to be an OTG cable and not just a regular USB-C to female USB-A.

Also what's interesting is my current combination DOES work with Android Audio Player Pro and with Oknyo HF player. I get the similar pop up message to allow control of the dragonfly. So, not sure if the Tidal app NOT working with my combo is a bug or a feature at this stage...:)

Its a bugger alright. I do note that UAPP release notes are a constant list of "fixed for X model" or "Y model" so its never going to be straightforward for all phones.

And yes, fingers crossed its a cable thing as you can get one tomorrow from Amazon for £5. But I doubt it

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I first want to sort out if it's the dragontail cable or the DAC. It's cheaper I think to swap the cable but would like to pick a cable that is known to be successful. I am operating under the impression it still needs to be an OTG cable and not just a regular USB-C to female USB-A.

Also what's interesting is my current combination DOES work with Android Audio Player Pro and with Oknyo HF player. I get the similar pop up message to allow control of the dragonfly. So, not sure if the Tidal app NOT working with my combo is a bug or a feature at this stage...:)
It can be tough finding compatible cables, but there are cables that consider the requirements of the phone to output via a USB "output" circuit - thus the cables are usually "directional".

The "Outgoing Arrow" connects to the Phone, and the "Incoming Arrow" connects to the DAC.
1625784678074.png
The first time I hooked up the FiiO cable I plugged it in backwards - arrow ends reversed - and it didn't work, it was a moment of "oh yeah, those Arrows mean something!".

I've used both FiiO and ddHiFi cables - I don't see the FiiO cables on Amazon...:

LT-TC1-FiiO---BORN FOR MUSIC
FiiO LT-TC1 TypeC to TypeC Audio Decoding Cable for K3/M9/M11/M5/BTR5 — HiFiGo
Fiio LT-LT1 Type-C to Lightning OTG Cable for iOS Connect BTR5 BTR3K — HiFiGo

ddHiFi has 2 different cable end models:
DD ddHiFi TC05 TypeC to TypeC Data Cable Connect USB C Decoders Music Players with Smartphones Computer Cable|AC/DC Adapters| - AliExpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002282724181.html
https://www.amazon.com/Connect-Decoders-Players-Smartphones-Computer/dp/B08QMK6ZLK
https://www.amazon.com/ddHiFi-Type-C-Connect-Decoders-Player/dp/B096KH5TXR

And, there is a new ddHiFi adapter for iPhones:
DD ddHiFi TC28i Lightning Male to Type-C Female OTG Adapter For iOS — HiFiGo
DD ddHiFi TC28i - Buy DD ddHiFi TC28i with free shipping on AliExpress

Last edited:

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It can be tough finding compatible cables, but there are cables that consider the requirements of the phone to output via a USB "output" circuit - thus the cables are usually "directional".

The "Outgoing Arrow" connects to the Phone, and the "Incoming Arrow" connects to the DAC.
I've used both FiiO and ddHiFi cables - I don't see the FiiO cables on Amazon...:

DD ddHiFi TC05 TypeC to TypeC Data Cable Connect USB C Decoders Music Players with Smartphones Computer Cable|AC/DC Adapters| - AliExpress
https://www.amazon.com/Connect-Decoders-Players-Smartphones-Computer/dp/B08QMK6ZLK

I don't see how you can expect me to take these cables seriously. There are no commas in the price.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks. I'd like to find one that is known to work with Tidal on Android first. To try and positively determine if it's the dragon tail causing the problem.

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks. I'd like to find one that is known to work with Tidal on Android first. To try and positively determine if it's the dragon tail causing the problem.
The Tidal version on my Samsung S20 Ultra is 2.43.0.1039.2979, Android 11

Well, sometimes you need to venture out and buy a bunch of cables and learn how to make it work on your own through trial and error. You can't always depend on others to do your exploring and pioneering for you, you may be at the cutting edge and need a "stable" of cables to swap around to get your new acquisition working. :)

I only have non-MQA portable DAC's. A few BTR5's, a couple of BTR3k's, a Hidizs S9, and all of them work with my Samsung S20 Ultra - with all 3 of the cables I have on hand, they all work with Tidal, UAPP, BubbleUPnP, but don't have all the Apps installed at once...app conflicts showed up during my testing.

I haven't used my BTR5/BTR3k for a while mobile with my phone, I've been using TWS's via BT.

So when I tried to use my BTR5 with my S20 Ultra, it didn't immediately work. I had to go in and enable Notifications for Tidal, uninstall UAPP because it kept popping up over Tidal when I plugged in my BTR5, then after I uninstalled UAPP and plugged in my BTR5 (while Tidal was running) BubbleUPnP popped up and took over!

After I uninstalled UAPP and BubbleUPnP+License, Toggled off Developer Tools Setting "Disable USB Audio Routing", and plugged in my BTR5, Tidal was playing through my BTR5 out the 3.5mm port wired to my Beats Wireless Studio 3 - I'm using the Flight Mode Noise Canceling to kill Fan Noise - finally I heard sweet music, playing MQA tracks and non-MQA tracks from Tidal.

So, there can be software / OS configuration problems that can keep the DAC from working, besides the cable connecting them.

The only cable I have from that list I posted is the FiiO LT-TC1, which I bought from Hifigo.com

The other cables I have are a Hidizs S9 cable not available separately and a DD Hifi labeled TC05 cable I bought on Amazon - but it is no longer listed.

The list of cables I looked for for you are the newest cables of the same design/configuration designed for either Android or PC/Laptop to DAC connections. I also included a couple of Apple iPhone/iPad cables with Lightening to USB-C connectors.

You could look for forums that support your specific devices and hope to find details about the cables they used successfully, or buy some cables that may or may not work - you won't know for sure until you try them. Then you can post what you find that works on forums so people can find your test results, and benefit from your time and effort.

Even though I verified on my S20 Ultra + BTR5 that the FiiO LT-TC1 cable works for Tidal MQA/non-MQA playback - the BTR5 doesn't decode MQA, I'm pretty sure it will work fine - the BTR5 showed 192k on it's display while playing Tidal, but YMMV.

When my Hidizs S3 Pro comes in I'll test MQA with that and update here...I look forward to seeing your test results too :)
S3 Pro MQA Streaming DAC Dongle | Hidizs
Hidizs S3PRO Next Generation Ultra Portable HiRes DAC Dongle by Hidizs — Kickstarter

FYI, I received the notice that the S3 Pro is Live on Kickstarter a few hours ago, and the first 1000 backers get:
Big Surprise!! - The first 1,000 backers will get a HiBy Music Membership (valued $9.99), valid for lifetime.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
UGreen OTG connector works with Pixel 3, Tidal . Cant comment on the compatibility of the Dragonfly with that combo but if you want a cheap way of finding out if its the cable- get one off amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072V9CNTK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But you know my view. Its not the cable.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
PS- my understanding is if you can connect your phone to your PC using the cable (plus whatever adapters etc needed to get the right fitting) and read the folders on your phone through the PC (might need to change the settings for what happens when you connect via USB on the phone, there is usually a pop up) then OTG is working fine. I dont think there has been a need for special OTG cables for some generations of Android, possibly since USB C became the default- I can connect my phones to PC with the generic cables that they come with for charging, or 3rd party ones from Amazon etc. I just happen to have some OTG cables from years ago. Likewise, I connect my dongle DACs with either the short usb c to micro usb/usb c they ship with, or use Amazon basic versions of the same. Ive had no issues with multiple phones / dacs that have been cable related.

beq1990

I have a OnePlus 6T (still on Android 10, the android 11 update should arrive later this year) and a ifi hip-dac. Usually I use UAPP but I would love to be able to use the native tidal app. When I open the tidal app with the dac connected the app recognizes the external dac, but then I am unable to play any music and the app crashes. I checked and I have the latest tidal app version. Does anyone know what should I try to make it work? Thanks

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a OnePlus 6T (still on Android 10, the android 11 update should arrive later this year) and a ifi hip-dac. Usually I use UAPP but I would love to be able to use the native tidal app. When I open the tidal app with the dac connected the app recognizes the external dac, but then I am unable to play any music and the app crashes. I checked and I have the latest tidal app version. Does anyone know what should I try to make it work? Thanks

Force close UAPP then make sure when you plug the DAC in , you dont accept any of the prompts for UAPP to access/ control the DAC, only accept the Tidal app prompts. Or temp uninstall UAPP.

beq1990

Force close UAPP then make sure when you plug the DAC in , you dont accept any of the prompts for UAPP to access/ control the DAC, only accept the Tidal app prompts. Or temp uninstall UAPP.
Thank you for your answer. I tried to uninstall UAPP but still I'd crashes. Then searched on other forums and apparently the tidal app is still not compatible with the hip-dac for bit perfect playback

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
It crashes with everything I've tried :mojo, mico idsd signature, dx7 pro, grace m900

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
None if this would be "a thing" if phones still had a headphone jack. I've been going back to my trusty LG V10 just to remind myself what just plugging in my headphones and going out the door felt like. :)

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
None if this would be "a thing" if phones still had a headphone jack. I've been going back to my trusty LG V10 just to remind myself what just plugging in my headphones and going out the door felt like. :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's still a thing with LGs because even they use the android audio stack and resample everything. Only the LG music player bypasses it and can do bit perfect.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's still a thing with LGs because even they use the android audio stack and resample everything. Only the LG music player bypasses it and can do bit perfect.
Dunno. But it says "hifi" on the notification bar for the volume slider. So I got that going for me...

jae

Major Contributor
Tidal does not have non-MQA versions of their MQA albums do they? I'm considering Tidal vs Qobuz again and wondering if I should just go with Qobuz family

Count Arthur

Major Contributor

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
I use USB Audio Player Pro: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro&hl=en_US&gl=US on my LG V20 and that claims it's playing "bit perfect" via the headphone jack.
I also use UAPP for that purpose, but with a USB DAC. I've tried the latest version of Tidal but it just crashes. I've owned a couple of LG phones and really appreciated the convenience of the good quality headphone jack, and think it may be time to buy another.
My information may be out of date, so anybody know if LGs (or any other phones for that matter) can handle audio without messing with it, other that by using UAPP?

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also use UAPP for that purpose, but with a USB DAC. I've tried the latest version of Tidal but it just crashes. I've owned a couple of LG phones and really appreciated the convenience of the good quality headphone jack, and think it may be time to buy another.
My information may be out of date, so anybody know if LGs (or any other phones for that matter) can handle audio without messing with it, other that by using UAPP?
Not sure. This says the V30 enabled bitperfect Tidal Playback to the DAC and output to the headphone jack.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tidal does not have non-MQA versions of their MQA albums do they? I'm considering Tidal vs Qobuz again and wondering if I should just go with Qobuz family
Some they do, some they don't.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I picked up @Jimbob54 Ugreen cable and plugged in my Dragonfly with it. While i didn't receive the pop up notification I was able to see the light change colors up to 96khz (magenta) and down to 44.1(green) and 48khz (blue) when using Tidal. but no MQA purple. When I switched to Plex It stayed constant blue (48khz) no matter what I played. So I think the Dragonfly red "sorta" works with the Pixel?

Top Bottom