• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk T50 Review (Floor Standing Speaker)

Loathecliff

The dust acts like a high frequency absorber. Due to small particles, it is likely effective above 50 kHz. So it won't do you all any good but for me, with my ultra-sensitive hearing, it is super effecting in taming digital signals to make them sound more analog.....
:D
Wow...cue envy....Now Amir you only need to dial-in a little ACME (patent) Thermionic Glow (orange is available) and you will have audio nirvana within your grasp.

:oops:
What happened there???
:facepalm:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All the research into speakers were tone at constant playback level that didn't stress any speakers. So this factor is non-existent in there. I run distortion test but correlating them to listening results is difficult and certainly not ready to be scored. I wish we could get there but we are not.

You may have noticed that the last center speaker I tested with dual woofers also got favorable outcome from me. That too could play with ease without limits. Likewise, I have scored down even marvelous measuring speakers like Genelec due to inability to play loud.

The best technology is one where you don't have to learn its limits and work around it. Such is the ability to play as loud as you want.

I love Cerwin-Vega’s old marketing slogan, “Loud is beautiful… if it’s clean”.

Martin

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. At some 135 pounds each, they have literally welded themselves to the floor! I can't even slide them an inch on the wood floor! They are that heavy. In addition, one has become flakey and I am afraid of blowing up the other by stressing it. I need it as a reference to troubleshoot the other.

I do have another Mark Levinson stereo amp that I hope to measure at some point.
Just pop that Eval 1 amp in there and let 'er rip. Seriously though, will the Eval 1 drive those Salon 2's well??

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just pop that Eval 1 amp in there and let 'er rip. Seriously though, will the Eval 1 drive those Salon 2's well??

Should be no issue. Headroom for about up to 103db. That's hearing damage range.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It may but they (speakers) may feel insulted.....

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
These speakers are $99 each right now just about everywhere. ($200 a pair) Check your AMEX and Chase cards as both have BestBuy discounts right now. (my AMEX is $10 off 100 and I have two of them and my Chase is 10% cashback max discount $35)

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
If anyone wants to send me a pair of the T50s I will try them out and give my subjective opinion. Anyone?

jgd

Is Polk Audio still manufacturing and selling the T50? I see it advertised on Amazon on the Polk Store occasionally. Has anyone listened to both the T50 and the XT60? Any recommendations?

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Is Polk Audio still manufacturing and selling the T50? I see it advertised on Amazon on the Polk Store occasionally. Has anyone listened to both the T50 and the XT60? Any recommendations?

I was in need of a cheap set of floorstanders for my vintage corner, and bought them last week to be run by a series of underpowered Rotel receivers from the seventies. They are doing absolutely fine. Threw some more complex stuff at them and so far have not given me any concerns. Might try them with one of my more powerful Class - D amps just to see how they handle power, but so far I am very pleased. Unobtrusive and certainly not grating in anyway (but that might just be the seventies solid state circuitry of the Rotels).

Last edited:

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
I was in need of a cheap set of floorstanders for my vintage corner, and bought them last week to be run by a serious of underpowered Rotel receivers from the seventies. They are doing absolutely fine. Threw some more complex stuff at them and so far have not given me any concerns. Might try them with one of my more powerful Class - D amps just to see how they handle power, but so far I am very pleased. Unobtrusive and certainly not grating in anyway (but that might just be the seventies solid state circuitry of the Rotels).
These speakers sound very good for an absurd price. They have a boost but can be eaqulized our. I found the stereo image to be really amazing at the price. For the money they are very interesting.

hmj

These speakers sound very good for an absurd price. They have a boost but can be eaqulized our. I found the stereo image to be really amazing at the price. For the money they are very interesting.
So from what Ive read over the course of the thread would I be right in saying for a budget struck soul such as I they should reproduce some nice music? Also considering the A170s but I think they have dried up for now in the UK.

AVKS

So from what Ive read over the course of the thread would I be right in saying for a budget struck soul such as I they should reproduce some nice music? Also considering the A170s but I think they have dried up for now in the UK.
Yes, you could do much worse at this price.

Reactions: hmj

hmj

So I've become a happy listener as my pair have turned up. Ive been scrutinising Amirs plots, can I deduce the passive point to be just under 2Khz? Seems low? (I'm thinking further down the road of using an active crossover).

AVKS

So I've become a happy listener as my pair have turned up. Ive been scrutinising Amirs plots, can I deduce the passive point to be just under 2Khz? Seems low? (I'm thinking further down the road of using an active crossover).
What do you mean by passive point?

hmj

Sorry should have read Passive crossover point (or frequency)

Top Bottom