• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thank you, will try with other interconnects I have. What I was trying to say was given the longer speaker cords (compared to 1m of interconnects) could have picked up some noise along the way?
I won't say picking up noise thru the speaker cables is impossible, but if that was the case the noise volume would remain constant and not go up and down with the volume control.

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
See the Benchmark app notes on their starquad speaker cable.

bhu1kaura

My speakers are nominal 4 ohms but most of the frequency range they are in the 2.5 ohms range (Thiel CS3.7). They are current hungry.

Have you paired the Thiels with AHB2? Will it be a good match for these speakers?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you paired the Thiels with AHB2? Will it be a good match for these speakers?
No, I own an Ncore NC500 based Apollon amplifier currently (some 600W for these speakers). And whenever Purifi releases their upcoming high power modules I will consider upgrading to them.

stan21

Hi all, i just joined the forum and saw the thread and wanted to share my AHB2 experience. I bought my AHB2/DAC2 HGC COMBO shortly after the AHB2 came out at the end of 2014 and i have been extremely pleased. I wholeheartedly agree with those who stated that you buy this once and you are happy for life. I haven’t felt the need to look at amps since then. My speakers are Martin Logan Montis, which dip to 0.52ohms at 20kHz, but the little champ drives them with ease to ear-damaging SPLs, which i try to avoid to preserve my hearing. Even with adding some serious DSP boost to the highs, i can get the DAC2 to the 12’o clock position before the AHB2 starts clipping. Before i got the AHB2, i used an NAD M2, but it couldn’t take the Montis. Anytime i raised the volume to -20dB (no equlization) the protection would shut it down. I spoke to NAD and they told me it can’t handle loads below 2ohms. That’s a $6k amp and it was really struggling with my speakers.
Some people might call it clinical, but to me it’s absolutely transparent and accurate and most importantly non-fatiguing. i would call the sound pristine, silky smooth, which I absolutely love about this amp. During the winter months I have binge listened for up to 14 hours a day and it’s like a sports car, begs you to push it and i don’t get fatigued. I have noticed that i usually start listening in in the 10-11 o’clock volume position and gradually increase it to 12 even 1 o’clock sometimes. I have to remind myself to turn it down to protect my ears. it feels like the louder it gets the better the system sounds. No noticeable distortion whatsoever. I’ve had systems where i listen for half an hour and catch myself slowly turning down the volume until i turn the system off and go do something else. It’s from all the distortion that is hard to pinpoint but the brain registers it nonetheless and fatigues you.
I’ve been passionately into audio for 35+ years and i‘ve gone through many speakers and systems, always dreaming up of something better until i got to this setup. I think i will pull the trigger on an LA4 and i can honestly say that i feel like i will be totally content with the LA4/AHB2 combo’s sound for life. These components are pushing the limits of the best Audio Precision testing equipment out there. I don’t claim to have golden ears and i don’t think I will be able to appreciate any further improvements from here. Kudos to @John_Siau and the team at Benchmark for the solid engineering.
The only reason to get me to upgrade them would be for purely cosmetic and aesthetic reasons. I am totally happy with the aesthetics of the AHB2, but the DACs and LA4 could use some botox for my taste. I really like the direction they have taken with adding a large display to the LA4, but to me it needs improvement. The only reason I would not go for the HPA4 and would rather go through the inconvenience of getting a separate headphone amp is because the display looks very busy with displaying options for both headphones and line amp. The volume bars are small to begin with and HPA4 has 2 side by side. I would sit 10 feet from the unit and there won’t be much useful information i can see. The larger volume bar on the LA4 is much more appealing to me from my listening position. if i push on the volume button to switch between the headphones/line and want to make an adjustment it should declutter the screen and fill the screen with the volume information for the selected choice. The current setup seems only suitable for someone sitting next to the unit. Otherwise choosing the HPA4 would have been a no brainer for me. I wish the LA4 could come with the same heatsinks as the AHB2 just for visual appeal. The faceplates are identical but the overall sizes differ. It would look aesthetically pleasing if they shared the same size. Imagine stacking DAC3, LA4 and AHB2 on top of each other. Each component gets progressively wider. They look like a Christmas tree and not a serious set of components, which they actually are. Please make all the same overall width. Finally i wish Benchmark would offer a combined DAC and LA4 into one unit with the same dimensions of the AHB2. I am not a big fan of the 16 lights on the DAC and all those buttons and it’s also half the height of the other components and it sits on top of them, which look so much cleaner and decluttered than the DAC even though the DAC3 B is definitely an improvement in that regard. I hope Benchmark streamline the different components and i would be totally happy.

Last edited:

Kw6

WOW. I'm shocked. This is endgame, my friends!

Buy this, and an ADI-2 DAC as preamp and be happy forever!

...Wait?!... 4000$ for both? Ouch.:eek:

The power is just INSANE for the size. It is more powerful than my huge and heavy (25kg) Denon PMA 2500NE (Rated at 160W/4ohms, but at 0,7% THD)

But the limiting factor are our sources and speakers. You might not like what you hear

RJO

What do you think are the chances of receiving one that is below the measured spec?

I plan on getting one to directly connect with my DAP (shanling m8) after my 2-ch Emotiva amp has been producing abrupt static noises via RCA (no XLR inputs). It occurs whenever I switch playback from file to file. I even replaced the cable with a new RCA but it still persists.

Since the AHB2 only uses XLR inputs will this 4.4 mm to XLR cable work?
https://www.amazon.com/4-4mm-Balanc...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GHQTK5RYE0R2MRB3TJ33

The DAP has an interchangeable socket, which includes a balanced 2.2 and 3.5 Pro as well, I'm hoping this 4.4 cable adds a clean signal to the chain.

JP

Major Contributor
I plan on getting one to directly connect with my DAP (shanling m8) after my 2-ch Emotiva amp has been producing abrupt static noises via RCA (no XLR inputs). It occurs whenever I switch playback from file to file. I even replaced the cable with a new RCA but it still persists.

Wouldn't that indicate an issue with the DAP? An amp doesn't know that the file changed.

RJO

I'm not really sure, to be honest. I don't hear it when I connect the DAP as an analog source to my AVR or Integrated amp. The files played are both within Tidal streaming and my stored library, so it could be...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What do you think are the chances of receiving one that is below the measured spec
Low in the extreme, I'm not sure what that has to do with your noise/emo amp issue.
I also question your placing the noise blame on the emo amp?
Can you borrow a different amp to test your hypothesis?

RJO

Low in the extreme, I'm not sure what that has to do with your noise/emo amp issue.
My bad, should've clarified that I was concerned about getting an outlier, if I order one.

As for the noise in my Emo amp, it surely might be caused by my DAP, I just don't know where else to ask about such issues, other than directly with the manufacturer, but thought about asking here first.

Last edited:

RJO

I tried a direct Line Out with a Denon Integrated amp and didn't hear noises, wouldn't that be sufficient?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I tried a direct Line Out with a Denon Integrated amp and didn't hear noises, wouldn't that be sufficient?
I'm a bit confused, do you mean the DAP out into the integrated Line-In and then hooking the integrated up to your speakers?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

But the limiting factor are our sources and speakers. You might not like what you hear

I’ve never had the experience that moving up the quality of my power amp made my existing sources or speakers sound worse. Sometimes, the better power amp did not make them sound much better.

My last experience in moving up to a higher SINAD integrated amp, however, was revelatory.

RJO

I'm a bit confused, do you mean the DAP out into the integrated Line-In and then hooking the integrated up to your speakers?
Yup, DAP Line-Out into Integrated Line-In (CD source) then to speakers.

However, if DAP is connected straight into the Emo then I'll need to switch settings from Line-Out to Headphone-Out so there is a volume control.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yup, DAP Line-Out into Integrated Line-In (CD source) then to speakers.

However, if DAP is connected straight into the Emo then I'll need to switch settings from Line-Out to Headphone-Out so there is a volume control.
Connecting to your Integrated Line-In (CD source) is just fine and gives you all the added features of your integrated if you would choose to use them. (tone controls, etc)

D700

As an interim solution, any reason I can't use my Topping D30Pro as preamp/dac to drive AHB2? I'd like to buy and enjoy the amp now, save up for a good full sized DAC/Preamp down the road.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
No reason against it. I'm using mine with D50. I may someday upgrade to a DAC with balanced connections and higher output voltage, but it's not like the D50/D30 are bad DACs.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
As an interim solution, any reason I can't use my Topping D30Pro as preamp/dac to drive AHB2? I'd like to buy and enjoy the amp now, save up for a good full sized DAC/Preamp down the road.
Absolutely none, should be highly enjoyable match.

Top Bottom