• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS 3000 Micro Subwoofer (announced)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
jgiannakas Your 20Hz update is very much appreciated. So now that we know this little thing is more than capable to reach that low (with the help of room gain obviously), what about the volume or power handling. Have you ever had the opportunity for very loud listening session, or stress test. I'm mostly interested to know if you found any kind of limitation for music or movies, like if you feel its getting into limiter/compression territory, of if its getting out of juice. I've got the R3 and want to pair them with a Sub, I'm contemplating SB1000 Pro (of course higher CEA 2010 output) and 3000
Micro, since both have small footprint.
Between the 2 I would definitely choose the 3000 Micro for its power, although I have not heard either.

jgiannakas

jgiannakas Your 20Hz update is very much appreciated. So now that we know this little thing is more than capable to reach that low (with the help of room gain obviously), what about the volume or power handling. Have you ever had the opportunity for very loud listening session, or stress test. I'm mostly interested to know if you found any kind of limitation for music or movies, like if you feel its getting into limiter/compression territory, of if its getting out of juice. I've got the R3 and want to pair them with a Sub, I'm contemplating SB1000 Pro (of course higher CEA 2010 output) and 3000

haven’t noticed it running out of steam. Have tried turning my music louder than usual and reached 105db peaks with no issue on bass heavy tracks. Same for movies.
But I was starting from a reasonably bad sub before so I might be oblivious to “better” if that makes sense.

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Between the 2 I would definitely choose the 3000 Micro for its power, although I have not heard either.

Yeahh, I think the same based on the surprisingly overpowered amp of the 3000 Micro, but then again you make a direct CEA 2021-A comparison between them and the SB1000 PRO wins hands down. That's why I'm a little bit reluctant about the measurements results...but at the same time I'm aware we are comparing 2x8" vs 1x12".
1626259305765.png

1626259266144.png

mike70

I'm in the same boat :), i mean, same speakers, same requirements. I think room size and SPL are the key ... my room is small and my SPL goes between 70 and 80dB.

tecnogadget

I'm in the same boat :), i mean, same speakers, same requirements. I think room size and SPL are the key ... my room is small and my SPL goes between 70 and 80dB.
Yes, it is a thoughtful decision, especially if a small footprint is a requirement. And even more difficult given the fact the R3's bass extension is really good. I get down to 25Hz (after that, a sharp roll-off) for the Right Channel and 40Hz for the Left Channel (with a more gentle roll-off) due to the room being very irregular and open to the left side. I could live without a sub for music, but I want to add one to get perfectly linear down to 20Hz and apply PEQ/Room Eq to avoid standing waves and room modes.

It depends on your room size. If it’s small there is very little chance you’ll hit the volume capacity of either…
Its an irregular medium size room, 21.5m² (1900 ft³). I want as much output as possible so I can have enough margin when PEQ taming peaks and thus getting as linear as possible.

Last edited:

jgiannakas

Its an irregular medium size room, 21.5m² (1900 ft³). I want as much output as possible so I can have enough margin when PEQ taming peaks and thus getting as linear as possible.
Same as mine (also with the R300 speakers that are very similar to the R3s). You’ll easily get down to 20hz at decent listening volumes.

milan616

Forum Donor
I don't get it, on real world the 3000 Micro is on 105dB territory like a champ, should I trust Brent Butterworth measurements ? They are least to say very unoptimistic, even being CEA-2010-A standard

View attachment 141032

You have to remember that the CEA-2010-A measurements have a distortion threshold. It might get loud real world but it might not be much of the signal being fed to it.

mike70

could live without a sub for music, but I want to add one to get perfectly linear down to 20Hz and apply PEQ/Room Eq to avoid standing waves and room modes.

100% agree ... the R3 are really good, but i'll use DRC (Dirac Live specifically) and i think that using a (good) dedicated sub for the lower bass we can get a more clear and defined sound.

weasels

I love the idea of this sub but in practice it's hard to justify spending the extra $$ vs an SB1000 pro, which isn't that much bigger in footprint, is cheaper, and hits lower and louder.

mike70

I love the idea of this sub but in practice it's hard to justify spending the extra $$ vs an SB1000 pro, which isn't that much bigger in footprint, is cheaper, and hits lower and louder.

Well, better technology it's usually more expensive. Dual opposite drivers in the size of the sb1000 would have a higher price than the 3000 micro.
If the 3000 micro it's enough for the specific application, it's totally justified.

Kachda

Forum Donor
Well, better technology it's usually more expensive. Dual opposite drivers in the size of the sb1000 would have a higher price than the 3000 micro.
If the 3000 micro it's enough for the specific application, it's totally justified.
personally I think the only reason to go for the SB3000 micro is if you really need a so small that even the SB-1000 pro won't fit in, or you just like the looks of it.

jgiannakas

personally I think the only reason to go for the SB3000 micro is if you really need a so small that even the SB-1000 pro won't fit in, or you just like the looks of it.
I tend to agree with this statement. I was between the SB-2000 pro or the 3000 micro. They are the same price but the smaller size and better aesthetics won it for me as the room is too small to comfortably accommodate the larger sub which looks just huge.

Using the AR features on the SVS website I took two screen grabs of the 3000 micro and the 2000 pro - attached. The 2000 pro is way larger and would not fit my room where I needed it to.

1 (1).jpeg
1.jpeg

Last edited:

mike70

i think it's valid but an oversimplification ... dual opposite drivers are a better technology implementation. A sub with that technology and 12" drivers will be much more expensive and bigger, for sure.
you're not comparing apples with apples ... if you like the svs 1000 / 2000 that's ok, but the 3000 micro it's relative more expensive not only for a question of "lifestyle".

weasels

i think it's valid but an oversimplification ... dual opposite drivers are a better technology implementation. A sub with that technology and 12" drivers will be much more expensive and bigger, for sure.
you're not comparing apples with apples ... if you like the svs 1000 / 2000 that's ok, but the 3000 micro it's relative more expensive not only for a question of "lifestyle".

Is it a "better technology implementation" if the SB1000 pro measures better? Am I not correct that the SB1000 pro does measure better?

mike70

why a better technology applied on a smallest subwoofer must measure with higher spl? i don't understand your point.
a dual driver technology with 12" drivers surely will measure better than the single driver ... that makes sense, right?

i'm talking about the price tag,my friend, a dual driver technology will be always more expensive, and that's why a "smaller" sub it's more expensive.
if it apply for you or not, it's another stuff, but the price tag difference it's not about "lifestyle" only ... that's my point.

weasels

why a better technology applied on a smallest subwoofer must measure with higher spl? i don't understand your point.
a dual driver technology with 12" drivers surely will measure better than the single driver ... that makes sense, right?

i'm talking about the price tag,my friend, a dual driver technology will be always more expensive, and that's why a "smaller" sub it's more expensive.
if it apply for you or not, it's another stuff, but the price tag difference it's not about "lifestyle" only ... that's my point.

My point is I don't believe there is an inherent advantage in more complicated technology if there is no measurable benefit. In this case, unless I'm mistaken, the dual driver sub doesn't measure better than the single driver. If that is correct, I wouldn't say it's "better" - it's just more expensive for a marginally smaller footprint.

Kachda

Forum Donor
I tend to agree with this statement. I was between the SB-2000 pro or the 3000 micro. They are the same price but the smaller size and better aesthetics won it for me as the room is too small to comfortably accommodate the larger sub which looks just huge.

Using the AR features on the SVS website I took two screen grabs of the 3000 micro and the 2000 pro - attached. The 2000 pro is way larger and would not fit my room where I needed it to.

View attachment 141086View attachment 141087
Put them under your speakers

mike70

My point is I don't believe there is an inherent advantage in more complicated technology if there is no measurable benefit. In this case, unless I'm mistaken, the dual driver sub doesn't measure better than the single driver. If that is correct, I wouldn't say it's "better" - it's just more expensive for a marginally smaller footprint.

well, i think you're wrong, or using the wrong hypothesis / arguments only taking size / spl and your particular case to justify the price between both products.

but, ok, is what you think about it. Done.

io53

Why would it measure better? If you compare 1x12" vs 2x12" it would probably be better, but it's hardly fair as it would have twice the woofer area. Just assuming things are better because they are cool kinda goes against this forum.

Top Bottom