• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DA-9 stuck on "S.M.S.L" boot screen (won't power on)

gcbrink

I recently received an SMSL SU-9 and SMSL DA-9 from Apos Audio. Most of the time when powering on the DA-9 (by pressing the front knob), the device will hang on the "S.M.S.L." screen without fully booting up. If I unplug first from the power outlet, then power on, the DA-9 boots up. Is this a common problem that is hopefully fixed with a firmware update, or do I have a dud?

Thank you
IMG_9496.png

BDLAB

Same problem here. Maybe the lockup condition is caused by a faulty power-on/reset circuit. The problem disappears, after the DA-9 warms up.
Btw: Reflashing the firmware by the end-user should be difficult without the correct programming adapter.

OP
G

gcbrink

Thanks for your reply. Are you experiencing this problem using the balanced inputs by any chance? (I’m wondering if it’s input related).
I will be receiving a replacement DA-9. I hope this isn’t a design flaw inherent to all units!

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The DA-9 “boot loop” issue I have seen a few mention online. . .
And then the threads with SU-9/M500 measurement issues. . .

What is going on SMSL?

The SU-8 V2 DAC I purchased 3 years ago has been bullet-proof (with its own quirks of course).
SU-8 V2 quirks:
- “popping” sounds when locking signal/changing sample rate via USB, changing sound color option and muting/unmuting.
- occasionally there is high pitched coil whine auxiliary noise present coming from unit itself (~20cm distance). . . I have been able to reduce the noise considerably to near silence by using screen brightness level 1.

Last edited:

palatin8

Didn't experience that problem. Usually I turn on both DAC and DA-9 by switching socket, so to say unplugging/plugging. Out of curiousity I was turning on/off DA-9 several times by pressing the volume knob without hanging. Boot-up time less than 2 seconds. Balanced input here, also. Chances are good, you had a faulty unit maybe from a faulty batch. If the problem is related to the local power grid, things could get complicated. Keep us informed about the replacement.

KozoP

I also have the same problem... As already discussed, I disconnect the power cord and turn the power on again, my DA-9 start up properly.

Last edited:

SOUNDSONIC

Mine does not behave like that. There are 3 ways to power up the DA9. One is by plugging the power cord to AC outlets, two is by pushing the volume knob and three, by the remote control. All methods are operating quite well. The display flashes the SMSL logo after 2 seconds then the volume level setting for another 2 seconds. I can say the issue is not inherent to the DA9....

fluxcapacitor

mine does that occasionally, never did this until today, i tried after your post but didn't happend. today i left it plugged into ac but it was shut off, came to room and opened from remote, it was frozen. unplugged ac and plugged again, fixed. I can say that this is another bug in DA9, i'm bored of smsl bugs, really.

fluxcapacitor

Ok, i can repeat this defect. If I plug DA9 to ac plug and leave it turned of for about an hour (30min+) it always stuck at boot screen.if i turn it on in shorter time, 3-,10minutes, no problem at all. This works all the time.

SOUNDSONIC

Ok, i can repeat this defect. If I plug DA9 to ac plug and leave it turned of for about an hour (30min+) it always stuck at boot screen.if i turn it on in shorter time, 3-,10minutes, no problem at all. This works all the time.

I guess you need to contact your seller. Mine is plugged 24 hours a day, 6 days a week. I unplugged my unit every Saturday evening and plugged every Monday morning. Turning it on/off thru the RC. No issues. Interestingly, our friend @jokan never turn off his DA9.

fluxcapacitor

Thanks for your reply. Are you experiencing this problem using the balanced inputs by any chance? (I’m wondering if it’s input related).
I will be receiving a replacement DA-9. I hope this isn’t a design flaw inherent to all units!
Not related to input. I'm having this issue in bluetooth and all other inputs.

cml21

I have the same issue. With the first unit I had, it actually worked fine if the screen was on the bright(er) settings, but would bootlock on the lowest setting. I created the below youtube to show Apos, as I was trying to get a replacement.
With Low Brightness
Unfortunately, the replacement demonstrates the same issue. Not sure if I just got "lucky" twice in a row... ;)

fluxcapacitor

I have the same issue. With the first unit I had, it actually worked fine if the screen was on the bright(er) settings, but would bootlock on the lowest setting. I created the below youtube to show Apos, as I was trying to get a replacement.
With Low Brightness
Unfortunately, the replacement demonstrates the same issue. Not sure if I just got "lucky" twice in a row... ;)
AHA! Great finding, i returned my unit, i was using brightness at lowest setting. Shit.

SOUNDSONIC

For curiousity sake, I turned down the display brightness to the minimum. Turned off the unit then turned on again. Repeated the process 5x. Luckily, no issues....

cml21

Glad to hear that yours is working @SOUNDSONIC. Unfortunately, my replacement is bootlocking too (at all brightness settings on this unit).

2nd one

We'll see if Apos will do another replacement - hopefully third this is the charm. :p Ordered this thing in April, if I didn't already have the SU-9 (now past it's return window) I would just ask for a refund and move on.

SOUNDSONIC

Glad to hear that yours is working @SOUNDSONIC. Unfortunately, my replacement is bootlocking too (at all brightness settings on this unit).

2nd one

We'll see if Apos will do another replacement - hopefully third this is the charm. :p Ordered this thing in April, if I didn't already have the SU-9 (now past it's return window) I would just ask for a refund and move on.

My online seller (Lazada, a subsidiary of AliExpress) told me that his team is checking each unit before shipping. I believe him. I've already bought a DA9, SA400, AD18, SU9 and a Sanskrit 10th from him. And all are perfectly working well.

I guess Apos prefer to have a good return policy rather than checking each item they ship. Its already a part of their system to just accept returns.

Maybr with the third replacement, they will now be more than anxious to check the unit before packing.

Good luck, sir.....

fluxcapacitor

For curiousity sake, I turned down the display brightness to the minimum. Turned off the unit then turned on again. Repeated the process 5x. Luckily, no issues....
Sooner or later you'll be cursed with that problem too
Smsl has clearly screwed up with DA 9 still no response from them.This will cause them a lot of loss of sales in near future.

SOUNDSONIC

Sooner or later you'll be cursed with that problem too
Smsl has clearly screwed up with DA 9 still no response from them. This will cause them a lot of loss of sales in near future.

Hahaha I hope not. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Seriously, I agree, If SMSL neglects to respond to issues like this, it will also affect not only its sales but its reputation as well.

jccaudio

Hi,
I have the same problem here. I see that nobody commented in this thread since a few days ago... any news on a potential solution?

It looks like a common problem, and replacements are not working either.

SMSL should provide a solution.

So far, the only option is to unplug and plug the cable from the main socket. Unacceptable.

Top Bottom