• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@JohnYang1997, I think, your proposal with a more complex sequence or other suggestions above, all sounds reasonable. The main thing is, that you can provide a fix by a firmware which we are able to download and update our device. Can you do it?
After discussion, this has not been reported since 2019. So maybe we can just give you a customized firmware without the sequence (reset can still be done in system setting), which itself is to reset the unit after testings.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think you triggered system reset which is USB input, mute, turn off.
Just out of curiosity..
Is this isolated to the D90SE or is this the reset sequence for more Topping DACs?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Just out of curiosity..
Is this isolated to the D90SE or is this the reset sequence for more Topping DACs?
Pretty much all of them. At least since dx7pro or something. Usb input - mute - turn off will give you factory reset. But some models have -30dB as default level. This is not a bug, it's just some factory function.

nhs

After discussion, this has not been reported since 2019. So maybe we can just give you a customized firmware without the sequence (reset can still be done in system setting), which itself is to reset the unit after testings.
Thank you, it may be a workaround for me but I see some coming problems below.
  • What if next official firmware were released but the reset sequence won't be changed.
  • Of course I trust you but an unofficial customized firmware may be not well tested and might cause other side effects.
Therefore I think, it is better if you will release an official firmware. It is ok for me if I know Topping will change the reset sequence next firmware soon.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
What filter have you guys been using? I've been using 5 but a lot of people seem to like 7. I never heard of a minimum correct fast filter before.

b4nt

Pretty much all of them. At least since dx7pro or something. Usb input - mute - turn off will give you factory reset. But some models have -30dB as default level. This is not a bug, it's just some factory function.

I've a D50s, my desktop PC speakers being at 1m from my ears, my amp is a 2x100W model, speakers in the same range. This was of the first things I had checked, what the volume is at startup :)

Don't know what that process could be for D50s. Now tested:
- mute then power off from front button: volume keeps stored
- mute then 5V external power cutoff: volume keeps stored

Did the same with a track playing, volume remained stored.

nhs

I've a D50s, my desktop PC speakers being at 1m from my ears, my amp is a 2x100W model, speakers in the same range. This was of the first things I had checked, what the volume is at startup :)

Don't know what that process could be for D50s. Now tested:
- mute then power off from front button: volume keeps stored
- mute then 5V external power cutoff: volume keeps stored

Did the same with a track playing, volume remained stored.
Did you set USB as input channel?
If not repeat it again with usb input please.

b4nt

Did you set USB as input channel?
If not repeat it again with usb input please.

I had USB "input" for both tests. Especially for my second attempts, with a track playing.

On my setup, 5V USB remains always on, my PC never shuts 5V USB. And this PC is always on (OS active, PC having played sounds).

nhs

I had USB "input" for both tests. Especially for my second attempts, with a track playing.

On my setup, 5V USB remains always on, my PC never shuts 5V USB. And this PC is always on (OS active, PC having played sounds).
Thank you, then what @JohnYang1997 said above is not correct. He said "pretty much all of them", what does that means?
The D90SE definitely reset the settings if switched off while the device is muted and has usb input active.

Lupin

Thank you, then what @JohnYang1997 said above is not correct. He said "pretty much all of them", what does that means?
The D90SE definitely reset the settings if switched off while the device is muted and has usb input active.
Why would it not be correct what he said?

"Pretty much all of them" is not all of them, apparently the D50s is excluded.
He also said DX7Pro and newer. D50s was released before the DX7Pro so that would also be in line with what he said..

nhs

Why would it not be correct what he said?

He also said DX7Pro and newer. D50s was released before the DX7Pro so that would also be in line with what he said..
Sorry but I don't know the devices history of Topping. What John said lead to misunderstanding, at least I understood so, he meant almost devices do that.

b4nt

And I'm happy so. At full 2x100W I would get blown away from my desk :)

It was also as an example, as such a setup might be critical with a D90se.

nhs

And I'm happy so. At full 2x100W I would get blown away from my desk :)

It was also as an example, as such a setup might be critical with a D90se.
You can imagine what a explosion I have encountered. My amp could deliver 2x250 Watt @4 Ohm.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Measure the output.
That's fine if you want to see if the dac is affected by its own smps, but what about the effect on the smps on other components in the chain?

Pre reg changes in Europe very few bits of kit came with an filtered inlet, if you're mixing old and new you may have to look wider than just the DUT. I'm not suggesting the advise smps is leaky buy many were.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi John, thank you for asking that. Yes, after I posted here I have received the IR codes from Toppings support. Did you intervene in that?
A little bit. We do normally give the IR codes per request. So you could get the codes regardless if I didn't say anything.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Has anyone experimented with the 4v vs 5v modes?

Top Bottom