• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why did "YOU" give up the right to repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
B

Bullwinkle J Moose

I spend my working life trying to improve computer architecture to protect against exploits.

XP hasn't been patched for over six years there are literally dozens of remotely exploitable security problems in it and there are far more locally exploitable ones.

It simply doesn't have the mitigations against web browser exploits and will never be able to run versions of web browsers with mitigations for Spectre attacks via JavaScript or fixes for the myriad browser issues discovered since the major browsers dropped support.

In a nutshell anyone competent could completely take over your computer simply by you visiting a malicious webpage and you would never know until your data or your money or your identity was stolen.

Not true!

Javascripts were banned many years ago from this XP box

That was covered on page-1

Other exploits were also mitigated years ago without resorting to Microslop security updates

In a nutshell, no competent person could ever completely take over my XP box simply by having me visiting a malicious webpage

OP
B

Bullwinkle J Moose

Actual security researchers use a variety of throw away environments including every version of Windows likely to be in use mostly to discover if the threat in question works against older software or if it relies on a newly introduced bug.

However for the worst bits of malware such a virtualised environment is not enough. There have been threats that will escape hypervisors and persist in the firmware there has even been one that persisted in hard drive firmware.

Yes, that is very true
However, my version of XP cannot be permanently altered, deleted, encrypted by any known online exploit and my data is completely safe

You should worry more about "your" data

simbloke

Forum Donor
I wonder which websites work without JS these days. A ZX81 would be safer than XP for sure - you don't need to worry about your data, it's gone when you turn it off.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I don't care what you use your computer for

I'm curious as to why you would give up the right to fix any problems that come along
You always have the right to fix any problems that come along. Your ability or willingness to do so may vary according to the situation. For instance my ability and willingness to do so is near zero.

OP
B

Bullwinkle J Moose

You always have the right to fix any problems that come along. Your ability or willingness to do so may vary according to the situation. For instance my ability and willingness to do so is near zero.

NOOOOOoooooo

You do not have the right to fix problems created for you by Microsoft in Windows 10

It is not allowed!

OP
B

Bullwinkle J Moose

I wonder which websites work without JS these days. A ZX81 would be safer than XP for sure - you don't need to worry about your data, it's gone when you turn it off.

I still have my data with XP
and I can still run my XP software

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
Yes, I can
In fact, I DID

You should read my second post on page 1

Malware is allowed in if I wish to study it, but the OS will not be damaged due to the fact that I can simply reboot to a clean OS

The main avenues of malware infiltration were closed long ago

For online banking and passwords, I boot directly to Linux

For online games like GTA5, I boot directly to spyware platform 10 (that is all it is used for......GAMES)

For malware testing and XP era software, I native boot directly to XP

For 64 bit software (audio mostly) I boot directly to Windows 8.1

You quoted my post, but forgot to answer the question.

As for me, yeah, games are the only thing tieing me to this shovelware we call Windows.

eriksson

Forum Donor
Avoiding Windows and switching to linux 20 years ago. And then later being stuck with Android phone. God, do I hate Android and Google. Apple looks better every day, at least it doesn't pretend to be "free" while selling every bit of information about you to the highest bidder like Google. I think it's better deal to be Apple customer than the product for Google.

It's been a loosing battle. I expect to continue loosing. I am just a passenger in a train and my feeling of control is fading. I was probably illusion all along. Professionals might feel differently.

I am professional in different field. Similar story, try to repair current trucks, earth moving or construction equipment on your own. Caterpillar, Komatsu, Liebherr, Demag, Scania, Man, Mercedes Benz and the rest of it.. What you get is long line of black boxes needing special software to diagnose. Without dealership access you are mostly wasting your time and your customers money.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bullwinkle J Moose

How do you give up right to repair exactly? Just buy owning a hardware less than 10 years old or something?
Basically

It depends on the hardware as well as the software, the End Loser Licensing agreement and the Lawyers

eriksson

Forum Donor
Basically

It depends on the hardware as well as the software, the End Loser Licensing agreement and the Lawyers
This thread seems to be about how clever you are tinkering with Windows XP. I salute you and appreciate your spirit. But it seems your "solution" is only temporary since sooner or later your version of XP will be useless.

If the idea is "the right to repair" - isn't open source software the only viable solution?

OP
B

Bullwinkle J Moose

This thread seems to be about how clever you are tinkering with Windows XP. I salute you and appreciate your spirit. But it seems your "solution" is only temporary since sooner or later your version of XP will be useless.

If the idea is "the right to repair" - isn't open source software the only viable solution?

How is it temporary?

XP is just as good as open source since the source code has been floating around the Internet now for years

(It was in the news - Google it)

But that is irrelevant to me
I just wanted it to be secure and stable (never have bluescreens of death)

Mission Accomplished!

Last edited:
OP
B

Bullwinkle J Moose

The pope may not allow it. But the real issue is that you lack the ability or will to do so.

It has nothing to do with will because all of you lack the ability to fix Windows 10 regardless of will

Try closing Microsoft's backdoor access to your system while remaining online

Try stopping ALL telemetry while online

Try Replacing Bitlocker on an EFI partition with a "secure" open source Full Disk Encryption package where you can verify that Microsoft cannot get your encryption key with the backdoored Firewall / Telemetry or Crashdump

Try removing the firewall and defender completely instead of just switching them off

Try removing Chromium Edge Completely so it never comes back with a Microsoft update

Try doing anything and everything Microsoft will not allow you to do

Are we having fun yet?

Last edited:

Chester

It has nothing to do with will because all of you lack the ability to fix Windows 10 regardless of will

Try closing Microsoft's backdoor access to your system while remaining online
Try stopping ALL telemetry while online
Try Replacing Bitlocker on an EFI partition with a secure open source Full Disk Encryption package where you can verify there are no backdoors
Try removing Edge Completely
Try doing anything and everything Microsoft will not allow you to do

Are we having fun yet?

“Yeah? Well my computer’s better than yours because it’s got a force field.” I feel we are only several pages away from this comment.

I’m not sure how useful this thread is to others, no offence.

OP
B

Bullwinkle J Moose

“Yeah? Well my computer’s better than yours because it’s got a force field.” I feel we are only several pages away from this comment.

Not likely useful at all

Most people couldn't care less about security

That's why ransomware works so well

garbulky

Major Contributor
Sure. But still... that is the real problem right? If one has the right to repair but is unable to do so... what then?

Try **Indecipherable***
Like I said, lack the will or ability or in this case, the comprehension of what you said.
Are we having fun yet?
Well you got me there. I was not!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom