• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 708P Review (Professional Monitor)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What I'm saying is that there are inherent limitations to stereo recordings and that the more accurate playback the more clearly these limitations are displayed; in other words, the recording doesn't sound like the original live performance in certain respects - the lack of height being one of them. And some of these limitations may be compensated for (not necessarily intentionally) by deviations from accuracy. Height, which doesn't exist on the two-channel recording, can be simulated by reflections from floor and ceiling as well as by the size of the speaker itself. This sense of height is spurious and inaccurate but to some listeners it gives the impression, however inaccurate, of this aspect of live music better than a more accurate reproduction of the height encoded on the recording would. And a bipolar speaker often gives a greater sense of space than a forward-radiating speaker even if the latter is notionally more accurate.
I'll leave you be

dkmaier

I want to get 708p's and as I understand things so far I should try to utilize their
"digital in" ports from a pre pro. Would this be a AES/EBU out on a pre pro? Also any advise on which pre pro to get that a reasonable value, maybe $2000 or up to $3000?

Rahan

Hi everyones, this is my first message here.

You have the GRACE DESIGN M905 which has an AES out but it is a bit overskilled and costs a lot.

Another way would be the RME ADI 2 pro FS which also has AES ouput but not the XLR connection. It looks like an old VGA... forgive me I don't know how to call it. But for sure you could find an adaptor and this would be more price efficient for a listening purpose.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Hi everyones, this is my first message here.

You have the GRACE DESIGN M905 which has an AES out but it is a bit overskilled and costs a lot.

Another way would be the RME ADI 2 pro FS which also has AES ouput but not the XLR connection. It looks like an old VGA... forgive me I don't know how to call it. But for sure you could find an adaptor and this would be more price efficient for a listening purpose.
Welcome Aboard @Rahan.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can’t go wrong with a pair of LSR308’s either. The choice is really down to budget, listening distance and listening volume levels.

If you can afford the 708p’s go ahead and grab them. If your budget and aesthetic sense allows, go for the 708i’s and splurge on a set of top notch amplifiers and eq. If you want to keep your costs down, the 308’s are just fine as long as you keep your volume levels down.

Either way, you will not be dissatisfied.

Many an audiophile buddy of mine has left my listening sessions dazed and confused that my $150 LSR308’s sounded better than their megabuck Audiophool monsters.
I can relate to that...
Makes me wonder how much better the 708p are..

Rahan

I did a direct comparison between the 305 and the 705p because I own both. (the 305 with a KRK sub for movies, the 705p on my desktop for music) I guess differences are more or less the same on the bigger ones.

The 705 is way more detailed. The bass is a bit deeper and much tighter. But what I like above everything about the 7 series is the compression driver (which is the same on th 708). It gives so much life to the sound. without being any aggressive it gives more "impact" to the treeble. does it make sens? The 3 series is good, very good for the money. But the 7 series plays in another league. I hope you understood me. I try and do my best in english.

PS: Thank you AdamG247

jdubs

Forum Donor
Hey all, is there a general consensus on WHEN the bad batch of 708Ps was from? I've got an opportunity to buy a new pair of them at a reasonable price (but not from a dealer - so not sure on the warranty situation)....but I'm kind of leary given the amp issue that was reported for certain of 708Ps.

-Jim

Rahan

Hey all, is there a general consensus on WHEN the bad batch of 708Ps was from? I've got an opportunity to buy a new pair of them at a reasonable price (but not from a dealer - so not sure on the warranty situation)....but I'm kind of leary given the amp issue that was reported for certain of 708Ps.

-Jim
I won't be too concerned about it. If there were a real probleme on the amp I guess JBL fixed it.

xyvyx

Forum Donor
I won't be too concerned about it. If there were a real probleme on the amp I guess JBL fixed it.
Yeah.. that's what I was hoping too. I replaced the amps in both speakers in January. One came from eBay and was listed as "new", the other from Reverb listed as used, but in excellent condition. Starting earlier this week, one of them is failing exactly as before. At this point, I think I'm done with JBL... shame too 'cause I really love these things :(

Rahan

Yeah.. that's what I was hoping too. I replaced the amps in both speakers in January. One came from eBay and was listed as "new", the other from Reverb listed as used, but in excellent condition. Starting earlier this week, one of them is failing exactly as before. At this point, I think I'm done with JBL... shame too 'cause I really love these things :(
witch one is dying?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Price has gone up to $1,889 each. Is it the chip shortage or inflation?

Top Bottom