• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why did "YOU" give up the right to repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullwinkle J Moose

I never did!

I can add an optical SPDIF port to an ancient Nehalem computer
I can run a modern DAC on that ancient Nehalem computer while running Windows XP without any DAC drivers
I can securely run XP-SP2 online without any Microsoft security updates and do it in a Full Admin account
I can boot to Windows XP in 3 seconds flat on that same Nehalem
I can edit 352Khz Audio @ 32 bits on that same machine
I can prevent Bluescreens of Death when running Windows XP and have done so for the past 12 years

Tell me, why can't you?

Did you (LoL) UPgrade?

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
I never did!

I can run a modern DAC on that ancient Nehalem computer while running Windows XP without any DAC drivers
I can securely run XP-SP2 online without any Microsoft security updates and do it in a Full Admin account
I can prevent Bluescreens of Death when running Windows XP and have done so for the past 12 years

Tell me, why can't you?

Did you (LoL) UPgrade?

I'm not competent enough to setup a patch-less Windows XP-SP2 to be used on the Internet safely with some useable functionality, nor am I interested to do so unless I get paid to learn it. You claim you are, though.

On older systems I rather install something like OpenBSD which is modern and useful.

The above have little to do with repairing something, IMO.

Honken

Not sure what you mean, the barrier of entry for repair and tinkering seems much lower to me with regards to software than hardware these days - especially for older hardware.

I don't think that I'd ever be able to get the hardware required to do repairs on a product like my AirPods Pro for example. A lot of this miniaturized hardware is also locked into ****** software ecosystems (and I suppose quite a few feel that way about the AirPods), but I feel that is a different issue from physical restrictions. You have to pick and choose what products you buy primarily based on what eco system they are part of.

My home server will soon become a teenager, but because the platform (PC) is somewhat open and the standards haven't changed much in the past decade, my server still functions fine. We'll see what Windows 11 brings, some of the requirements seem arbitrary. But at the same time, setting the bar somewhere in the past few years enables some software optimizations by default and guarantees an OK experience for end users.

And, all this miniaturization has definitely resulted in tangible gains in efficiency. While a stationary computers from yesteryear don't really perform that badly compared to newer ones (well, they do but it isn't too noticable in every day use), newer portable equipment is just a whole lot better than older counterparts thanks to those miniaturization wins. Screens are brighter while consuming less power, passively cooled CPUs run circles around older CPUs that used to cook your lap, no longer do you have to worry about parking drive heads when you are using a laptop, Wi-Fi chips offer better speeds while consuming less power, etc. etc. etc.

But unfortunately, we're really good at using that extra, free performance for trivial tasks so the perceived performance of computer interactions today feel just as bad as those from the XP era. Often worse, since most of our interactions on a computer take place over the internet where every action incurs a network latency penalty.

Lastly, I'm not sure how you are able to run XP-SP2 securely in 2021. Is it running on some isolated network? For what it is worth, my *nix machines boot in about the same time - but they run up to date software without any security considerations.

OP
B

Bullwinkle J Moose

I'm not sure how you are able to run XP-SP2 securely in 2021. Is it running on some isolated network?

No it is not on an isolated network

All backdoors in the OS were closed

Malware magnets like Flash, Javascript, Net framework, Quicktime, Adobe Reader, Remote Desktop Protocol, Silverlight etc, and all other vulnerable software were banned from this system long ago

Aftermarket firewall blocks all new connections by default until they can be verified

Wannacry and all other Ransomware was blocked on this computer before they even existed

If malware does get through, I can simply reboot to a clean system because the OS is made Read Only with a program called Driveshield

I have been safely testing malware on this system for years without any permanent damage to my files or Operating System

Backups are Read Only

Dual BIOS is password protected and has a Read Only Backup in case of infection

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never did - I repair anything and everything. I learn what I need to and repair what I feel confident repairing. Not sure I'd open up or try building a tube amp yet but I'm game for most anything else. (I did buy a tone generator and oscilloscope several years ago when someone on another forum offered to teach a tube amp design and building class - he backed out but I'd still like to learn how.) I've bought group buys on diyAudio and built amps from circuit boards and components. I've bought ICE amps from B&O and designed cases and built finished amps for my stereo. YouTube is an excellent resource for learning how to repair laptops, phones and a lot of other electronics. Chances are if it's something that can be done someone has posted a video on how to do it. Plus I'm a software engineer with a degree in computer science and engineering so software doesn't scare me. If something needs fixing I say go for it.

Martin

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Never tried with electronics much, so never really gave up anything. I've grown up in a world of planned obsolescence and disposable consumerism!

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tell me, why can't you?

Because I want the best available hardware and software on computers and phones without hassles, and without having to run VMMs, Linux, or other added layers of complexity and support issues. I just don't care about not being able to fix my iPhone myself, since Apple does it for a reasonable cost and guarantees the work. We run Windows and MacOS in our house, and while I'm fully capable of setting up Linux systems, I just don't care for browsing and consumer apps. Perhaps I've gotten too rich and lazy in my old age, but some DIY things just aren't worth doing for me.

PS - I wouldn't have Windows XP or Nehalem if someone paid me $200 to run them.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Because I want the best available hardware and software on computers and phones without hassles, and without having to run VMMs, Linux, or other added layers of complexity and support issues. I just don't care about not being able to fix my iPhone myself, since Apple does it for a reasonable cost and guarantees the work. We run Windows and MacOS in our house, and while I'm fully capable of setting up Linux systems, I just don't care for browsing and consumer apps. Perhaps I've gotten too rich and lazy in my old age, but some DIY things just aren't worth doing for me.

PS - I wouldn't have Windows XP or Nehalem if someone paid me $200 to run them.
+1.

Even though I run Linux on my desktop. The freedom (which isn't about repair in this case) of a good Linux OS is of some value. At this point however, its is pretty easy. A few things will need a bit of fiddling a couple times a year. OTOH, there are things more easily done with Linux than in Windows or the Mac OS.

OP
B

Bullwinkle J Moose

One distinction should be made here: things can be taken from you that you did not intentionally or even knowingly "give up." Jim
Ooooh, now there is a mysterious post

I wonder if he is referring to the rights you lose when worthless promises are made in trying to get you to "upgrade"

Or was it about losing the ability to keep your data private?

Or about losing the ability to fix your own computer, or close the backdoors?

Maybe being forced to agree to a one sided license agreement that you don't really agree with?

Although some here may prefer to give up their security and let Microsoft run the whole show, but I wouldn't want to run Spyware Platform 10 on locked down UEFI hardware even if someone paid me $200 to run them.

Losing complete control of your system is EASY with Microsoft "upgrades"

With Spyware Platform 11, taking control back will be IMPOSSIBLE!

HorizonsEdge

I never did!

Tell me, why can't you?

Did you (LoL) UPgrade?

What other survivalist projects have you embarked on?

That was only a semi-serious question. Honestly, if you like putting in the time to maintain all of that then great. After all you have to satisfy yourself. Personally and professionally I would never want any of that on my network. Seems like a lot of work and distraction.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I never did!

Tell me, why can't you?

Did you (LoL) UPgrade?

I ran cyanogenmod on my phone until they killed it, my whole home network is built on bsd and Debian from my firewall in. Streaming with moode on a pi. I’m doing what I can but, problem is the hardware is only semi open. Most of the important hardware including the cpus require closed firmware to operate either securely or in most cases at all. I’m guessing this applies to the microcontroller in my purifi amps too.

I still have my garrard though, so if the man pulls the plug I can diy an old Williamson triode amp and keep
on trucking.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No it is not on an isolated network

All backdoors in the OS were closed

Malware magnets like Flash, Javascript, Net framework, Quicktime, Adobe Reader, Remote Desktop Protocol, Silverlight etc, and all other vulnerable software were banned from this system long ago

Aftermarket firewall blocks all new connections by default until they can be verified

Wannacry and all other Ransomware was blocked on this computer before they even existed

If malware does get through, I can simply reboot to a clean system because the OS is made Read Only with a program called Driveshield

I have been safely testing malware on this system for years without any permanent damage to my files or Operating System

Backups are Read Only

Dual BIOS is password protected and has a Read Only Backup in case of infection

All worthwhile, but you are on intel hardware like most of us you have been running broken encryption for years.

Then theres this:

http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~tromer/acoustic/

And of course this:

Attachments

• E5F1E6AE-0F3E-4CEF-A230-39AC0A74C776.png
    E5F1E6AE-0F3E-4CEF-A230-39AC0A74C776.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 139
OP
B

Bullwinkle J Moose

What other survivalist projects have you embarked on?

That was only a semi-serious question. Honestly, if you like putting in the time to maintain all of that then great. After all you have to satisfy yourself. Personally and professionally I would never want any of that on my network. Seems like a lot of work and distraction.

There is nothing to maintain

Once it was fixed, it was fixed for good!

Like I said, no Bluescreens of Death for the past 12 years

(and Zero Malware problems since 2014)

Bluescreens were easy to fix compared to malware

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I never did!
What's a Windoz XP ??? LOL

I assume from the rest of your posts you enjoy maintaining those things. That 's cool, I just don't want any part of WinBloz unless I absolutely have to. I do occasionally boot Win10 but always feel like I need to wash my hands or take an antibiotic when I'm done. I've been running Linux on the desktop here for well over 20 years. It takes a bit of work sometimes but that's what I enjoy (mostly) ;) But mainly it just works and that's the best part of Linux.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All worthwhile, but you are on intel hardware like most of us you have been running broken encryption for years.

Then theres this:

http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~tromer/acoustic/

And of course this:

As an aside, if the claims of golden eared fantasists are actually true, and differences amounting to tiny fractions of dbs are indeed audible, then a natural implication of the finding below is that any audiophile with a pen and paper can extract an rsa key purely
by listening to a cpu-someone should alert the secret service

‘The attack can extract full 4096-bit RSA decryption keys from laptop computers (of various models), within an hour, using the sound generated by the computer during the decryption of some chosen ciphertexts.’

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I never did!

Tell me, why can't you?

Did you (LoL) UPgrade?
If you want to LARP, do it right:
* Don't use an Intel CPU with the ME backdoor.
* In fact, don't use any x86 CPU with some SMM mystery code and some secret instruction sequences to do God knows what.
* Don't run a proprietary OS with as much holes as a sieve while believing you can plug them all; especially since Microsoft's cooperation with the NSA probably predates PRISM.
* Try to circumvent the proprietary BIOS (coreboot, libreboot, me_cleaner).

As @Trell said, OpenBSD would be a better platform for this kind of talk, or other comparatively simple OSes. What I'd consider the best "way" is to have a powerful machine isolated from the WAN to do the hard work (in my case, waifu2x-cpp, x264, aom/rav1e) via ssh and a "libre" ARM computer without any firmware problems (i.e. with Vivante GPU and not Broadcom VPU shenanigans) for the day-to-day stuff. The problem would be gaming, but dual booting on that powerful machine would probably do the trick, even if I doubt modern gaming platforms (Steam) can work without Internet.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bullwinkle J Moose

If you want to LARP, do it right:
* Don't use an Intel CPU with the ME backdoor.
* In fact, don't use any x86 CPU with some SMM mystery code and some secret instruction sequences to do God knows what.
* Don't run a proprietary OS with as much holes as a sieve while believing you can plug them all; especially since Microsoft's cooperation with the NSA probably predates PRISM.
* Try to circumvent the proprietary BIOS (coreboot, libreboot, me_cleaner).

As someone said, OpenBSD would be a better platform for this kind of talk, or other comparatively simple OSes. What I'd consider the best "way" is to have a powerful machine isolated from the WAN to do the hard work (in my case, waifu2x-cpp, x264, aom/rav1e) via ssh and "libre" ARM computer without any firmware problems (i.e. with Vivante GPU and not Broadcom VPU shenanigans) for the day-to-day stuff. The problem would be gaming, but dual booting on that powerful machine would probably do the trick, even if I doubt modern gaming platforms (Steam) can work without Internet.
No thanks, XP is completely usable and perfectly safe as it is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom