• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

garbulky

Major Contributor
Depends if you mean analog in/ analog out, or analog all the way through. If the former, you can get PEQ, which is best, in something like MiniDSP 2X4 or MiniDSP 2X4HD. If you want totally analog, maybe a vintage graphic equalizer, which will have a high noise floor, or perhaps wait for the one Schiit plans to release this year.
The idea would be to use the RCA output from my dac, connect it to the eq, connect the rca output from eq to my headphone amplifier (A-100).

garbulky

Major Contributor
Well solderdude just showed me what looks like a fantastic analog eq solution. If I still like the HD800 in the next few days minus the bass, I'm probably going to order it to see what it does.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Well solderdude just showed me what looks like a fantastic analog eq solution. If I still like the HD800 in the next few days minus the bass, I'm probably going to order it to see what it does.
That thing is excellent. I am sure you will be happy.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you tried it with the hd800s? What do you think?
my issue is that my listening comes from multiple sources not just a pc. This requires an analog eq outside the dac. The schit Loki is a somewhat imprecise eq but there’s a 4-6 week lead time. My return window on the headphones closes before then. I’m also not really in the habit of putting a band aid on an already expensive product, but I might if it truly fixes it.
(EQ's aren't a band aid for any headphone)

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Have you tried it with the hd800s? What do you think?
my issue is that my listening comes from multiple sources not just a pc. This requires an analog eq outside the dac. The schit Loki is a somewhat imprecise eq but there’s a 4-6 week lead time. My return window on the headphones closes before then. I’m also not really in the habit of putting a band aid on an already expensive product, but I might if it truly fixes it.

What are your sources?

Sounds like you fit the target market and frequency response curve of the HD8XX.

garbulky

Major Contributor
What are your sources?

Sounds like you fit the target market and frequency response curve of the HD8XX.
I use a dac for my media center (which is just in the living room). The DAC (Emotiva DC-1) has an RCA out to my Emotiva A-100 which is connected to the HD800S. The DAC sources are PC (BNC), Blu Ray Player (SPDIF coax), Fire TV optical, and also a record player (analog input). On rare ocassions I will also use a USB input for a laptop but that almost never happens.
Interesting thoughts about the HD8XX..... currently the treble glare on the HD800S is bothering me. But I notice it has started sounding better lately.

Roen

I don't think a production model has been released yet, has it?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Nope... and that might still differ from the prototype.

soundwave76

Forum Donor
Decided to get these for audition and now comparing them with the Stax L300 Limited. Both are EQed and they sound pretty similar. Stax is maybe a bit more 'airy' and high, but can't decide yet which I like more.

I have tried both Amir's EQ values and Oratory's. I am using ADI-2 DAC and alas I only have 5 EQ bands to work with, but Oratory is using 10 bands. Is there anybody who knows how to properly estimate Oratory's 10 bands to ADI-2's 5 bands? :)

GaryH

Major Contributor
Decided to get these for audition and now comparing them with the Stax L300 Limited. Both are EQed and they sound pretty similar. Stax is maybe a bit more 'airy' and high, but can't decide yet which I like more.

I have tried both Amir's EQ values and Oratory's. I am using ADI-2 DAC and alas I only have 5 EQ bands to work with, but Oratory is using 10 bands. Is there anybody who knows how to properly estimate Oratory's 10 bands to ADI-2's 5 bands? :)

Just download Equalizer APO with Peace GUI for free and add as many bands as you want.

frix

There is a dedicated oratory adi-2 preset fir the HD800. It makes additional use of the bass/treble control. So effectively 7-bands.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I only learned this yesterday but look at the "best" measurement of said phones on the auto eq site (crinacle has the same rig as O1990) and use the first 5 bands of their 10 band PEQ settings

soundwave76

Forum Donor
Okay, decided to turn off the ADI-2 EQ and use APO. Dialed in Oratory's values for both the HD800S and Stax L300 Ltd. Stax wins in my ears, so HD800S will go back. Other headphones just sound 'muffled' and 'dull' compared to Stax.

P.S. Peace GUI is very nice

19lexicon78

i have the hd800s and he60. i prefer the he60 far more than the hd800s. it's so much more fast, far more detailed. it's 1-2 levels better. it's time for sennheiser to bring back the he60. it's the best headphones for it's price since 25 years. also it follows the harman curve more. if i could choose between hd800s or he60, it's the he60. bring back the he60. to me after the he90=it's great but to expensive, the he60 is the best. it could be better using a new xlr amp same specs as a a90

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Try the Warwick Acoustics Sonoma model 1.
It is in a similar league.
It just can't play as loud.

Both are in a very different price class and need very different gear around it.
There is of course the HE-1.
I don't think there will be an HE-60 ever again.

There is also Stax and the DCA Voce.

19lexicon78

@solderdude
sennheiser could do it.
it's the killer headphones. the one who rules them all. ok, not he90 rules them all. but a headphones everybody could buy. only a good a90 amp, which brings this headphones 2 levels more. after 25 years the he60 is the best of them all. i havent heard a phones which is better. i dont understand sennheiser. it's a killer. i've heard hd600 or 650. it's nothing compared to a he60. now, i know why every sennheiser engineer bought a he60 in the 90's. they knew. it's sad to say hd800s is less than a he60

Last edited:
Top Bottom