• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LSX Review (Wireless Speaker)

SKBubba

If I'm not mistaken, these speakers have Spotify Connect, Tidal Connect and DLNA built-in?

So you would only need their weirdly dysfunctional app for setup? (And maybe a Geek Squad guy to come over and do it for you?)

If all that's the case, it would be a pretty good modern, moderately hi-fi setup for a small room/apartment people looking to upgrade from ear buds/bluetooth.

Speakers, smart phone you already have, a $10/mo Spotify subscription and Bob's your uncle. Especially if you could get them at the prices mentioned above by @tifune.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
More KEFs are here to be tested. :)

have a q150 waiting by any chance?

Btw, at some parts I was laughing and some others felt really sorry for your wife and I could imagine the situation. Hope she is fine now.

Last edited:

roryoconnor

Tidal Connect

The KEF app can play Tidal, but its not Tidal Connect. The difference with Connect is the API is built into the speaker and connects directly to Tidal on the internet, and is controlled by the app rather than streamed from the app.

Last edited:

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My perspective is that an important part of what you’re paying for with this type of “wireless system” speaker is the quality of the app and ease of use. If the native app is poorly designed and the system is difficult or unreliable, I’d rather just use a wired studio monitor that provides higher performance at a lower price.
Absolutely. The Bluesound App is outstanding, and it played a huge role in my decision to go with the Node for my streaming supply.

SKBubba

The KEF app can play Tidal, but its not Tidal Connect. The difference is with Connect, the API is built into the speaker and connects directly to Tidal on the internet and is controlled by the app.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. So you have to use the Kef app to play Tidal? Sounds sketchy.

(Not that I'd want to play Tidal/MQA on anything, just curious. Sorry to digress there.)

roryoconnor

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. So you have to use the Kef app to play Tidal? Sounds sketchy.

(Not that I'd want to play Tidal/MQA on anything, just curious. Sorry to digress there.)

Pretty much yeah. It does work OK but if you want to use Tidal I'd say roon is the way to go, which makes Tidal Connect redundant. Otherwise, Spotify Connect does the job just as well.

If you use an external streaming device, it will likely support Tidal. I've been using the Primare NP5, after replacing the Chromecast Audio dongle.

Spotify Connect would satisfy most people I think.

akarma

KEF LSX.jpg

Review

RoA

I mean the app and connectivity are terrible.

I use the Wireless 2 Metas. I believe the App is the same? No issues whatsoever here. Can't say the same for the B&W Formation Duo one.

RoA

I remeber listening to these KEF LSX in shop and thinking they sounded boring and not worth their price tag, not even close. I also listened to a pair of Klipsh The fives while I was there and enjoyed them more. But I also was thinking my Edifier S2000 Pro in monitor mode was better than the Kef LSX.

The Fives from Klipsch produce an unbelievably large sound from two little (very nice looking) boxes and toy drivers. I heard them on a recent visit to Harrods, free standing in a huge show room. No aid from walls. - The issue is that they do this with overblown bass and even using EQ can't completely fix this. Still, much fun and perfect for all the family if you want to keep them away from the main system.

The LSX sounds far more balanced and hifi but nowhere near as much fun. It is also lacking in power and grunt compared to the LS50 Wireless (1 or 2).I love the textile covering though.

You can now pick up up a Wireless 1 for a similar price to the LSX. Far better choice imho unless you have a very small room.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Which brings the question on whether Amir was able to use the latest update as opposed to the original KEF app in his review.
??? I downloaded the app a couple of days ago. How could it be old?

Reactions: Mal

RoA

Interesting that Amir likes this system. It was highly praised by John Darko. But it is about 3 years old by now and the WiFi and Bluetooth technologies are obsolete by now. That will be always the problem with this type of

Where and why are the WiFi and BT technologies obsolete now?

kyle_neuron

Where and why are the WiFi and BT technologies obsolete now?
I presume that’s a referral to a lack of WiFi 6 and BT 5.0+ or low latency / high resolution modes?

@amirm I appreciate the use of the term ‘bloody’ when reviewing a British speaker. Made me feel at home - and very sorry for your wife).

RoA

I presume that’s a referral to a lack of WiFi 6 and BT 5.0+ or low latency / high resolution modes?

@amirm I appreciate the use of the term ‘bloody’ when reviewing a British speaker. Made me feel at home - and very sorry for your wife).

Yes I know, I just wanted to hear from the poster why the specs he quoted are in any way obsolete.

They are not.

oversky

??? I downloaded the app a couple of days ago. How could it be old?

I think acetogen was talking about the "firmware" in the speaker.
Just be careful, I heard someone bricked the machine.
The update mechanism is not bulletproof.

KEF LSX Firmware Update 5.1 a Tidal Miracle in January 2021

Last edited:

kniff

Nicely written review Amir!

I've been meaning to dip my toes in the active loudspeaker pond for a long time, but seeing how i felt the LS50s lacked bass i was hesitant with the wireless or LSX variants.

I decided to order a pair of Revel M16s instead that might fit me better, if not the search will continue.

Top Bottom