• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest Wind High-end Cable Review

levimax

Major Contributor
If you are using things like these 90 degree connectors or "Y" connectors beware of high capacitance. For normal line level use it is not a big deal but for phono connections it can be. I bought a cheap "Y" connector to "sum to mono" and it sounded noticeably different and bad. I checked the capacitance and the 3" long "Y" connector had over 400 pf of capacitance .... twice as much as the cables in the tone arm and 4 ft interconnects combined! This much capacitance can really throw off the FR of an MM cart.

Martini

Forum Donor
Don't let the outside cladding fool you. There are two 45 degree fittings inside to ease the transition.

They also included a clean-out, so if electrons get clogged you can snake out the line.

I'm sure AQ will market something musical to free the electrons, like this but with a battery -
1624633007102.png

carewser

After reading this review i'm sure many people here did the same thing as me and went out and bought one of these cables

Seriously though, if you scroll down to page 5 of this .pdf page of Audioquest's website it actually says, "Doing no harm since 1980"
https://www.audioquest.com/resource/1278/AQ-US-Retail-Price-Book.pdf

Congratulations Audioquest for not raping or murdering anyone in the last 41 years. I haven't done much of that myself in the last 41 years so I guess we have something in common. You know what else I haven't done much of in the past 41 years? Ripped people off by selling them bullshit products that make no sonic difference

They also have a "theory and education" section at their website where i'm sure they try and educate people about their theories of how well their products work in the absence of evidence

Last edited:

Mystical Boar

I'm ashamed to admin I owned some low tier audiophile cables, one of them being by audioquest. I sold all of these cables - some just a few hours after listing. It feels good not to have them (and retrieve some of the money).

Foulchet

Man...this is not even beautiful. I can sometimes put a (little) bit more for a sharp-looking cable or something which matches the aesthetics of my gear but here I see no point aside from being a fool.

Mystical Boar

These days I use mostly Klotz cables, which are well made, thick, soft and flexible. German products are just on a different level of quality, which is not an easy thing to admit for a Pole.

Power Sven

I have a lot of Audioquest cabel. It is very god. Power cable. Speaker cable and for digital. Very clear open sound.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I have a lot of Audioquest cabel. It is very god. Power cable. Speaker cable and for digital. Very clear open sound.
I don't doubt that you are getting 'very clear open sound'. What would be questionable is if that has anything to do with these cables or not. Blind testing sorts these types of things out, but admittedly many (including myself) don't have time for such rigorous types of testing. But still, I'd bet you'd get the same sound with much cheaper and more generic interconnects.

Power Sven

I don't doubt that you are getting 'very clear open sound'. What would be questionable is if that has anything to do with these cables or not. Blind testing sorts these types of things out, but admittedly many (including myself) don't have time for such rigorous types of testing. But still, I'd bet you'd get the same sound with much cheaper and more generic interconnects.
I have open sound because of acoustic, speakers, amplifer, correct placeing of speakers and chair.
I have lots of cable for power, but Audioquest was so good for dynamic, it is quit and have a open sound. The same for speakers cable.
Interconnect i have DH Labs Revelation.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I have open sound because of acoustic, speakers, amplifer, correct placeing of speakers and chair.
I have lots of cable for power, but Audioquest was so good for dynamic, it is quit and have a open sound. The same for speakers cable.
Interconnect i have DH Labs Revelation.
If a wire has a sound, it’s broken.

Rubbersoul2

On floating ground shields, you are supposed to tie the ground shield to the end with lower impedance, I believe.

in all seriousness, why would you spend this much money on an rca cable anyway? What business do rca connectors have on high end gear?

Besides the vastly better noise rejection, xlr benefits from a hotter signal, increasing the SNR for free.
HIFI. HIFI HIFI ! sales

digicidal

Major Contributor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It would be nice to have a smattering of "like" options. come to think of it, I think there's a forum-related suggestions, umm, subforum.
I will take the liberty of escalating the matter :)

PS The facepalm emoji on this forum is one of my two favorite-est emoji options extant.
Here, FWIW, are the other (rare) two that I really like -- as found on hifihaven
1635164996785.png

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

That's abolutely correct. Supported by solid evidence from loads of genuine audio research and just plain physics.

but Audioquest was so good for dynamic, it is quit and have a open sound. The same for speakers cable.

And now we're entering the realm of extraordinary claims. Nothing but anecdotes. Extremely high risk of expectation bias.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I'm sure AQ will market something musical to free the electrons, like this but with a battery -
View attachment 137345
Those PS Audio Noise Harvesters need something like that -- or maybe they're not end-user emptyable by design, so that they have to be returned to PS Audio to have the noise emptied out of them when they're full?

Speaking of noise (and anti-noise); Arthur C. Clarke's great (and somewhat prescient) short story Silence Please might instill a little nervousness in any user of noise-cancelling headphones or other technology.

(I don't know the copyright status of this work, in full disclosure)

2ndHarm

After reading this review i'm sure many people here did the same thing as me and went out and bought one of these cables

Seriously though, if you scroll down to page 5 of this .pdf page of Audioquest's website it actually says, "Doing no harm since 1980"
https://www.audioquest.com/resource/1278/AQ-US-Retail-Price-Book.pdf

Congratulations Audioquest for not raping or murdering anyone in the last 41 years. I haven't done much of that myself in the last 41 years so I guess we have something in common. You know what else I haven't done much of in the past 41 years? Ripped people off by selling them bullshit products that make no sonic difference

They also have a "theory and education" section at their website where i'm sure they try and educate people about their theories of how well their products work in the absence of evidence
Kinda reminds me of that Sunshine Jim cleaning product the manufacturer claimed was "magnetically altered water" that was tested by a local university and found to be indistinguishable from tap water.

Top Bottom