• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Atom Amp+ Review (Headphone Amplifier)

jams3223

"Power current protection"
What's that? If you are thinking fuses, no it won't work. It needs DC protection that detects DC component from the headphone output. DC protection was implemented since the beginning but due to some threshold, component issue it wasn't working.

Certainly the issue was blown out of proportion. Yet full recall was issued. The actual number of burnt headphones we hear is very small. And people who contacted us got compensation for it.

"they keep on changing the component since topping is a experimental Chinese company that works based on customers review"
?? Totally not true. And don't know where did you get it from.
Bruh topping is a Chinese company operating in Shanghai

THW

Forum Donor
Bruh topping is a Chinese company operating in Shanghai

I have a feeling John takes issue with the other things you said about the company, not that it is Chinese.

also i’m quite sure its based in Guangzhou, not Shanghai.

jams3223

My advice is to stay away from replying to those biased person who's clearly trying to provoke you.
That’s dark why would I hate the guys I feel the most comfortable talking with over the internet I don’t wanna have a ‘I am the one who’s right fight’ just wanna give my point of view from my analysis ain’t try to offend anybody or to pick a fight just hope we can learn from each other

jams3223

I am fairly sure Shanghai is waaay too expansive for a small start up like topping.
Topping doesn’t have to be a big company who knows it might be run by a couple folks as a startup no company is big unless there’s some big investors

jams3223

Gongzhu seems to be the city but I taught i saw bathe manufacturing facility being in Shanghai and the company office at gongzhu but anyway I don’t know why he mad about what I say also I don’t favor any company just what they have to offer

Diable

I saw misunderstanding and misinformation, I correct it.

If you want to correct something, why not publish legit 2v output ratings for the L30? You guys have been selling the L30 with those jacked up unattainable +3v power numbers for years now and that really needs to be corrected.

THW

Forum Donor
If you want to correct something, why not publish legit 2v output ratings for the L30? You guys have been selling the L30 with those jacked up unattainable +3v power numbers for years now and that really needs to be corrected.

tbh i wouldn’t say 3V is unattainable, i can effectively get those results by connecting L30 to my NX4 DSD’s headphone out on high gain

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
tbh i wouldn’t say 3V is unattainable, i can effectively get those results by connecting L30 to my NX4 DSD’s headphone out on high gain

Which is completely pointless as NX4's performance is shit compare to SToA desktop Amp.

THW

Forum Donor
Which is completely pointless as NX4's performance is shit compare to SToA desktop Amp.

ok, so take another great desktop amp and connect L30 to its headphone out if you really want that extra power (you really don’t, 2V into L30 can already go really loud?).

ReaderZ

ok, so take another great desktop amp and connect L30 to its headphone out if you really want that extra power (you really don’t, 2V into L30 can already go really loud?).

So you chain 2 L30 for significantly less power, more noise and almost the same price as A30 pro? Not really a good idea.

THW

Forum Donor
So you chain 2 L30 for significantly less power, more noise and almost the same price as A30 pro? Not really a good idea.

I mean I don’t think anyone really needs the full 800 mW @ 300 ohms of power, and I think chasing maximum power that you will never really use is pointless and dumb, so…

Last edited:

confucius_zero

Just received my amp+ and compared it against my old amp of 2018 using a switcher.

Physically nearly unchanged, volume knob definitely more fluid/smooth to the turn and inline with the better build amps like monoprice liquid spark.

I'd say subjectively at similar listening levels that the amp+ seems to sound "faster and wider" with better dynamics (attack-decays) amongst other technical sound improvements like deeper bass and a less shouty midrange. I'm using IEMs of various sensitivities and heard no technical defects. It's the improvement I was looking for, thankfully arriving before I had to consider to spend more on the Topping A50s and above (I really liked the A50s but this amp sounds close to it while staying SE).

Hopefully someone can compare these amps using science machines so that we can perhaps better measure the difference that would cause all these improvements? I've started to see people on other sites measure SINADs at other data points than just 1khz... perhaps we can see differences there?

(forgive the picture showing 2 knobs at various clock positions, it doesn't represent the tested settings).

PXL_20210709_220757475.NIGHT.jpg

John's claim of great sinad performance across the sweep.
2021-07-10 01_00_50-Window.jpg

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Just received my amp+ and compared it against my old amp of 2018 using a switcher.

Physically nearly unchanged, volume knob definitely more fluid/smooth to the turn and inline with the better build amps like monoprice liquid spark.

I'd say subjectively at similar listening levels that the amp+ seems to sound "faster and wider" with better dynamics (attack-decays) amongst other technical sound improvements like deeper bass and a less shouty midrange. I'm using IEMs of various sensitivities and heard no technical defects. It's the improvement I was looking for, thankfully arriving before I had to consider to spend more on the Topping A50s and above (I really liked the A50s but this amp sounds close to it while staying SE).

Hopefully someone can compare these amps using science machines so that we can perhaps better measure the difference that would cause all these improvements? I've started to see people on other sites measure SINADs at other data points than just 1khz... perhaps we can see differences there?

(forgive the picture showing 2 knobs at various clock positions, it doesn't represent the tested settings).

View attachment 140229

John's claim of great sinad performance across the sweep.
View attachment 140230
I think this is post initiated by SBAF.
Here's my response to people.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-headphone-amplifier-review.15226/post-836706
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-headphone-amplifier-review.15226/post-836276

TLDR: low output impedance(good amount of feedback) and load independence will basically guarantee good performance with real headphones load at various frequencies.

Atom is certainly fine. Atom+ upgraded the opamp for better performance. It's also certainly fine.

confucius_zero

Atom is certainly fine. Atom+ upgraded the opamp for better performance. It's also certainly fine.
Cool so I'm looking forward to see those tests done on the atoms :)

ricochet

Does the Atom+ make sense in combination with a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 audio interface and Sennheiser HD 650 headphones?
I produce, mix and master my own music.

Diable

Yes, it's loud but it's not the 3w's Topping is advertising. When paired with the E30 dac the L30 will output about as much power as the Atom but less than the Heresy.

D

Deleted member 26571

You must be slow cause overlooking a companies lies is retarded. I have no clue how you think it's dumb to demand a product actually deliver what's it's advertised as having. People paid for this amp thinking it produced x amount of power when it doesn't. Future buyers should be made aware of this so they can avoid buying Toppings products.
You are mistaken.

Top Bottom