• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier SINAD list ASR + 3rd parties

baron-samedi

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, sure, will add them. Yes, I just read where the 4 ohms line crosses 5W and read the THD+N.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not only have I been adding more Audio PL amplifiers, but I have been updating prices on some amplifiers, especially those fighting for the highest values, so the list beside each chart has been been changing lately. Some amps I added a link to the price.

If anyone finds an updated price in those best value amps please let me know! Thanks.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Matias Thank you for all your effort in pulling this together. One small typo - in row 48 of the spreadsheet, you have it labelled as the Accuphase M-2000 (same as the row above), but I believe that measurement is for the Schiit Aegir.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What about :

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Amplifier Class D Stereo Purifi 2x400W 4 Ohm
Is there an amplifier in the Google spreadsheed which looks like this?

url: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...ass-d-stereo-purifi-2x400w-4-ohm-p-14393.html
Unless the implementation is sub-par it should have similar performance as Nord Three SE 1ET400A Stereo (#7, 104 SINAD). NAD C298 (#21, 98dB) also uses Purifi modules, but with some in-house tweaks (variable gain, power supply).

Reactions: ENG
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: ENG

despoiler

Not sure about Audio PLs numbers. Take Musical Fidelity M5si Stereo Amplifier - Test - Tests, Prices and Stores | Audio . They have an almost order of magnitude higher THD+N than the 1st attached review. They also list a damping factor of 72 @ 4 ohms which is quite impossible as the M5si has an output impedance of 0.2 ohms. I've attached a 2nd review that has some comparable numbers and they also do not look like Audio PL.

Attachments

• Musical Fidelity M5si Amplifier Review Test.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 10,671
  • Hi-Fi_News_2016_04_M5si_measurements.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 346
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure about Audio PLs numbers. Take Musical Fidelity M5si Stereo Amplifier - Test - Tests, Prices and Stores | Audio . They have an almost order of magnitude higher THD+N than the 1st attached review. They also list a damping factor of 72 @ 4 ohms which is quite impossible as the M5si has an output impedance of 0.2 ohms. I've attached a 2nd review that has some comparable numbers and they also do not look like Audio PL.
As I wrote in the 1st post of this thread:

Hi-Fi News <== unfortunately they use THD and not THD+N so they are not comparable

gsp1971

Forum Donor

Apart from input sensitivity, nothing else can be compared like for like.
Power: Audio.pl measures at 1% THD+N but at 1kHz, HFN measures at 1% THD+N without specifying frequency
SNR: Audio.pl measures at 1W, HFN measures at full power. SNR is always higher at full power.
THD+N: Audio.pl measures THD+N, HFN measures Distortion (probably without the noise component).

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Power: Audio.pl measures at 1% THD+N but at 1kHz, HFN measures at 1% THD+N without specifying frequency
SNR: Audio.pl measures at 1W, HFN measures at full power. SNR is always higher at full power.
THD+N: Audio.pl measures THD+N, HFN measures Distortion (probably without the noise component).
Again, the amps listed here are THD+N while the HFN reviews are THD only. The +N means noise, THD is harmonic distortions only. That means THD+N includes other sources of noise like noise floor hiss, power supply hum and its harmonics, and non-harmonic distortions of the test tone. So that THD+N is always going to be worst than THD only. THD+N (and SINAD) is like a "worst case scenario", "consider all the garbage noises other than the test tone".

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I adjusted the price of EVAL-1 to include cables and the Hypex SMPS1200A400 power supply. Still it is a bare ones kit, no chassis, no connectors, etc, so kind of unrealistic, but still, it is comparable to barebones amp boards from Hypex, ICEpower and Pascal.
The VTV Eval 1 was around $1000 when I bought it early this year. Not sure if they still sell that one but that's a complete amp.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The VTV Eval 1 was around $1000 when I bought it early this year. Not sure if they still sell that one but that's a complete amp.
Hi this was an old post of mine, since then I used the VTV price (and link) of 1,040 usd as this is cheaper than ordering the individual parts.

despoiler

As I wrote in the 1st post of this thread:

Hi-Fi News <== unfortunately they use THD and not THD+N so they are not comparable

Look at the first article and actually read it. It has THD+N @ 1w and full power. .006/.004 respectively. Testing done at Newport Labs. It's not even close to Audio PL. Audio PL's SNR are also completely bonkers. It's 13db higher @ same power on a weighted test.

And again, if they cannot calculate the damping factor correctly it's huge red flags. It's probably the most basic thing to calculate.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
Look at the first article and actually read it. It has THD+N @ 1w and full power. .006/.004 respectively. Testing done at Newport Labs. It's not even close to Audio PL. Audio PL's SNR are also completely bonkers. It's 13db higher @ same power on a weighted test.

And again, if they cannot calculate the damping factor correctly it's huge red flags. It's probably the most basic thing to calculate.

I did look at the first article and I did read it. THD + N below -110dB are numbers achieved by DACs, not amps. Those Newport numbers look a bit suspicious. Perhaps they refer to THD without the N?

These guys have similar numbers to Newport but for distortion only. Not noise.
https://www.stereo.de/hifi-test/produkt/musical-fidelity-m5si-1364

despoiler

Top Bottom