• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiolab 6000a

RoA

I just recommended this on another forum. It was a contender a few years ago when I was looking for an integrated. I had it at home on trial and thought build, facilities and sound were superb. I did return it and eventually bought a Hegel H120 which was better, unsurprisingly.

I can't think of many amplifiers I would recommend more for a starter system than the Audiolab.

Build quality is astonishing for the money. It feels like a brick. The Display is legible across the room.

Downsides ... 50 Watts but its enough to go loud in all but the biggest rooms.

Use with a pair of Quad S2's and a Chromecast Audio and you have imho a complete little system that looks great, sounds good and lasts for years for just over £1k

(It has a very decent h/phone stage too)

Last edited:
More likely just unknown to most people here. I have no idea what their distribution might be in continental Europe, but in the US they are hard to find. I have seen advertisements and reviews for the brand, but living in a large American city I have never actually seen one. So more a UK brand.
I was willing to take a flyer and mail order a $200 Topping DAC from China based just on reviews here, but at $1,000 plus I want to see and hear what I am buying first.

Reactions: RoA

wje

Forum Donor
I've been using an Audiolab 6000A as a pre-amplifier for several months now. While the supplied 50 watts per channel can be a bit low, the amplifier section might be best suited for a smaller room or bedroom. However, as a pre-amplifier, I find its performance to be very good. The integrated amplifier itself, can be configured to disable the internal amplifier section so just the power gets supplied to the preamplifier section. The built-in ESS chipset DAC is quite good. However, if one wants to utilize the all-in-one integrated amplifier, the 6000A has pre-out and amplifier inputs - allowing for one to include a DSP (such as the mini DSP) for integrating subwoofers, applying DSP adjustments via Dirac Live, etc.

Reactions: RoA

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
put a rose gold faceplate on it; add some green lights and VU meters - then call me if the knobs feel really nice

Premonition

I considered getting this for my entertainment room before, but never did. This amp is kinda overpriced in my country, and I didn't want to pay full price for an inbuilt phono stage and DAC that I wouldn't be using.

Audiolab is owned by IAG along with Quad and Leak. After seeing how the new Leak amp looks pretty much like a Quad Vena inside was also a turnoff.

In the end, i got a used CXA60 and AXR100 for a lot less money and I'm happy(particularly with the CXA60, its good stuff).

Top Bottom