• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS 3000 Micro Subwoofer (announced)

YSC

Major Contributor
Sure, I am not criticizing the 3000 Micro, I think it is great. I was just pointing out the difference. Where possible, big subs go deeper, where not, the 3000 Micro is just genius. Most music bass happens above 30 Hz anyway.
Yes, and personally I think unless you are using the micro subs in a large room for the sake of being unobstructive, when you need such a small sub to be placed in you space, the boundaries will do the LF gain enough to make it extend to 20-25hz

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sure, I am not criticizing the 3000 Micro, I think it is great. I was just pointing out the difference. Where possible, big subs go deeper, where not, the 3000 Micro is just genius. Most music bass happens above 30 Hz anyway.

Yes, i prefer smaller size for stereo and bigger for HT, when you need tremendous spl and dynamic range in bass.

With music, a "fast response" (quick control over the driver) is preferable, i think. In other way, the integration with a decent pair of stereo speakers is awful.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Basically the SB-2000 Pro has lots more below 40 Hz
Not to mention waaaay more overal output, above 110dB SPL, according to SB-2000 Pro's measurments from Erin.
Maximum%20SPL%20%28dB%29%20per%20CEA-2010-A%20%282-meter%20Ground%20Plane%29.png

I'm still quite tempted by the formfactor, anyway.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yep. Seems perfect for those who need a very small sub for a small or medium room who are not concerned about <30hz content. And while it is cool to get that 20hz bass extension for HT, let's remember that commercial movie theaters are typically not reaching that low.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, i prefer smaller size for stereo and bigger for HT, when you need tremendous spl and dynamic range in bass.

With music, a "fast response" (quick control over the driver) is preferable, i think. In other way, the integration with a decent pair of stereo speakers is awful.

You might want to read this

"Myth: Bass Speed
Subwoofers are Fast / Slow
It is a common misconception that sound quality is related to the woofers speed or quickness, but in fact the woofer's speed is related to the frequency it is producing and the SPL...."

Read more:
https://data-bass.com/#/articles/5cbf5e7357f7140004d6d0ec?_k=lzxf4f

mike70

You might want to read this

"Myth: Bass Speed
Subwoofers are Fast / Slow
It is a common misconception that sound quality is related to the woofers speed or quickness, but in fact the woofer's speed is related to the frequency it is producing and the SPL...."

Read more:
https://data-bass.com/#/articles/5cbf5e7357f7140004d6d0ec?_k=lzxf4f

Great reading, thanks.
Regarding the facts ... the article says the following:

"Large sub drivers can be made to have the same motor to cone ratio as smaller drivers. The larger woofers also have more room for bigger suspension components and voice coils which can allow higher power handling, more excursion capability and larger mechanical clearances that simply cannot fit on an 8 or 10" driver frame. It is more expensive to make larger driver sizes in this way, but not impossible. There are a number of good examples on the market. It's just a matter of picking the right driver for the job."

So, we're not talking about something totally theorical, in the theory, as you say it's right.
Little or bigger subs have different caveats, you need to choose based on the best for what you want primarily or to spend a much more amount of money to have it all. In the real world, it seems that to create a sub with a 8" driver really good for stereo is cheaper and easy that a sub with a 12" driver. So, it's not a myth and a closed truth neither.

It's the same about sound in general ... we have 3 big aspects: theory, implementation and listening / acoustics. Theory and final results are only equal in theory.

jgiannakas

Was debating getting the 1000pro or the 3000micro and ended up getting the 3000 micro. Room is quite small and since living in an apartment I would annoy the hell out of my neighbours so the smaller size, better looks and what seems to be decent performance at normal listening levels won me over.

once it arrives I’ll post some measurements with my kef r300s :)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
and since living in an apartment I would annoy the hell out of my neighbours so the smaller size,

Oh honey you will annoy the hell out of your neighbors anyway :p, so get what performs best. Nothing blocks or absorbs sub-bass, what you hear in your room will be what they're hearing too.

.I'm very lucky to live in a small sky scraper, all the walls are infinitely rigid (reinforced concrete) so my neighbors don't really hear a thing.

jgiannakas

Oh honey you will annoy the hell out of your neighbors anyway :p, so get what performs best. Nothing blocks or absorbs sub-bass, what you hear in your room will be what they're hearing too.

.I'm very lucky to live in a small sky scraper, all the walls are infinitely rigid (reinforced concrete) so my neighbors don't really hear a thing.

Hahaha! Well, annoy them a bit less haha!

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Was debating getting the 1000pro or the 3000micro and ended up getting the 3000 micro. Room is quite small and since living in an apartment I would annoy the hell out of my neighbours so the smaller size, better looks and what seems to be decent performance at normal listening levels won me over.

This is the reason for me for not going to a 20hz sub with 12'' or 13'' drivers

xD

YSC

Major Contributor

+1 to reinforced concrete building solving most of the problem, and for neighbour one, hell yes, having a music section in late night followed by an angry man coming up your door with a shotgun isn't exactly enjoyable

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a competitor to the SB2000 and SB3000 that costs less, drops the fancy electronics and pretty boxes, and gets similar performance? Also would prefer an XLR input. SVS is great, but I don't want to pay for the fancy app.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a competitor to the SB2000 and SB3000 that costs less, drops the fancy electronics and pretty boxes, and gets similar performance? Also would prefer an XLR input. SVS is great, but I don't want to pay for the fancy app.

Sweetchaos subwoofer Comparison Thread could have your answer.

Also, semi-DIY :D could be the answer. For example this $510 package by Parts Express (Click on the Picture for info)
1625564376474.png
Peace

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is awesome to adjust settings in the listening position. Highly recommended. You would be missing out.

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SVS is great, but I don't want to pay for the fancy app.
Well, you should pay more attention to the app, which is a big selling point for SVS, IMHO.

Badly integrated sub is much worse than no sub at all. With the parametric EQ in the app, you can control the DSP more accurately and get the best crossover match with your speakers/room. You can't do that precisely with a simple crossover knob (but you may still use any software/DSP anyway)
Screenshot_20210706-114442.png

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
OT.
To integrate the subwoofers with the mains.. We measure, tinker and tweak s for weeks and then leave it alone. In that sense, the App is a good step in ease of setup but how is it better than paying $200 to $300 for DSP appliances such as Behringer DCX 2496 , miniDSP 2 x 4 HD or equivalent? Granted, these appliances are more complicated and are perhaps difficult to learn but .. I would think these to be better and less costly solutions.

mike70

Badly integrated sub is much worse than no sub at all.

One of the best readings in this thread, IMHO.

One thing is aesthetics and bs marketing, yes ... but other thing is an oversimplification of a complex acoustics stuff. Good tools to integrate the sub with the main speakers will never be seen as fancy worthless things, even less in stereo.

mike70

Hi
OT.
To integrate the subwoofers with the mains.. We measure, tinker and tweak s for weeks and then leave it alone. In that sense, the App is a good step in ease of setup but how is it better than paying $200 to $300 for DSP appliances such as Behringer DCX 2496 , miniDSP 2 x 4 HD or equivalent? Granted, these appliances are more complicated and are perhaps difficult to learn but .. I would think these to be better and less costly solutions.

That kind of device applies adc / dac internal converters, adding noise and distortion. Good hardware dsp preamps are expensive.
In other way, with ths svs app you only apply dsp on the sub signal and not in the middle / high frequencies from the main speakers signal (where it's less important)

I tend to prefer a pc audio server with dsp with a decent external dac than a hardware dsp preamp.

Only opinions and different points of view.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the SHD Studio, so 4 channels of Dirac. The SVS features are sort of wasted on me.

nothingman

Just gonna point out you are asking for alternatives to the wrong subs. This thread is dedicated specifically to the 3000 Micro.

Also, my opinion, you’re overthinking the cost of the software to you as a consumer. Whatever cost is there, they are recouping that across every subwoofer in the entire range. Very hard to beat SVS’ pricing in my view. Just look at what they are doing with the 3000 Micro. They will literally sell you two for the same price as a KEF KC62, and the KC62 doesn’t even have an app! That doesn’t tell the whole story, of course, but it shows an app hardly registers.

Top Bottom