• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk S30 Center Speaker Review

ezra_s

Forum Donor
you have no room correction in your AVR?

Oh yes, it has Audissey. It's a Marantz NR1608. I let it do its thing, when I first set it up I think you could use an app to tweak it but it was paid or something. It's mostly for the kids to watch movies so I haven't paid too much attention to it.

I will look it up again when I have the chance this week.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the Polk S35 (bigger brother with 4 extra woofers) is particularly interesting, it is only 6.1" (15.49 cm) deep so it can pretty much go anywhere, especially vertically.

the Polk S30 can play pretty loud for their size, so the Polk S35 could be pretty impressive.

The S35 would be considered the little brother. Those are 3 inch "woofers" it uses.

SynthesisCinema

At AVSForum many Polk owners has had the S30 and S35 side by side for home trial and they all prefered the S30. Fuller sound etc.

Here is the S35 quasi-anechoic (employing close-miking of all woofers) FR from soundandvision. Purple trace = S60 towers, Green trace = S35 center channel, Red trace = S20 bookshelfs.

L/R Sensitivity (S60): 89.5 dB from 500 Hz to 2 kHz

Center Sensitivity (S35): 88.5 dB from 500 Hz to 2 kHz

Surround Sensitivity (S20): 87.5 dB from 500 Hz to 2 kHz

617polk.meas.jpg

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Still, some manufacturers do care about this, the ones making coaxial centers, or variations of MTM design that lessen the issue.

For example, Boston Acoustic (RIP) used to put a rotating logo on the grilles of the CR series, so you could position the speaker either vertically or horizontally.

Btw, the revel M22 also have a rotating logo on the grill so it could be layed on its side. It also layed pointing up a bit due to the cabinet angle. So I experimented with the M22 layed horizontal as a center channel, but ultimately preferred it in it's normal orientation, even if that put the mid woofer much lower than the screen.

Point is, I was really impressed that revel thought of that rotating logo detail. That's really good product design.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Polk S35 is a terrible speaker for the $300 new and sale (white only) $230 price. Smaller, more expensive and less bass. At the $300 price, you could just buy the S20s instead. At $230, you could get the S30 instead. If your not color picky, get the white S30 for $150.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the review-I've had Polks off and on for years and thought they were fair to middling speakers overall. I actually have one of their older centers, the CS 400I. Wish it weren't so heavy-I'd ship it to Amir and have him measure it. It weighs 30 lbs and was their TOTL center back in the olden days. I think I gave around $400 for it back in 2001? 2002? Can't remember exactly when I bought it but used it until this Spring when I replaced it with the venerable Infinity C263.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Thanks for the review-I've had Polks off and on for years and thought they were fair to middling speakers overall. I actually have one of their older centers, the CS 400I. Wish it weren't so heavy-I'd ship it to Amir and have him measure it. It weighs 30 lbs and was their TOTL center back in the olden days. I think I gave around $400 for it back in 2001? 2002? Can't remember exactly when I bought it but used it until this Spring when I replaced it with the venerable Infinity C263.

Didn't think anybody would mention that speaker (Polk CS400i). I was going to replace with the Polk CSI A6 but I sent that speaker back to crutchfield, it was disappointing. It wasn't that great with music and the bass was lacking for the size. I thought the bass problem was in my head but I looked at the specs more, and the CSI A6 had 5hz less bass (at -3b) then the CS400i. How do you get less bass from adding a front port and extra "powerport". I am gonna miss that cherry finish though, nothing like that on modern Polk's. I bought the white S30 so that should replace my CS400i. If I ever see the Polk CS1000p on the market, you know I'm gonna replace that S30 quickly. I forget to mention in my old post, that Polk's website is so janky.

Here's a online picture of the CS1000p:
x107CS1KPR-F_MT.jpeg

beaRA

Didn't think anybody would mention that speaker (Polk CS400i). I was going to replace with the Polk CSI A6 but I sent that speaker back to crutchfield, it was disappointing. It wasn't that great with music and the bass was lacking for the size. I thought the bass problem was in my head but I looked at the specs more, and the CSI A6 had 5hz less bass (at -3b) then the CS400i. How do you get less bass from adding a front port and extra "powerport". I am gonna miss that cherry finish though, nothing like that on modern Polk's. I bought the white S30 so that should replace my CS400i. If I ever see the Polk CS1000p on the market, you know I'm gonna replace that S30 quickly. I forget to mention in my old post, that Polk's website is so janky.

Here's a online picture of the CS1000p:
View attachment 139423
If you want a big step up, grab an LSiM 706c now that they're discounted to $400.

beagleman

Major Contributor
If you want a big step up, grab an LSiM 706c now that they're discounted to $400.

I have an older Lsic, and it may be the ultimate center as far as clean and flat frequency response of any Polk Center.

Not saying the Lsim series are bad, but as far as actual flat response.

The green trace, 2nd one from top.
403polk.5.jpg

beagleman

Major Contributor

What year is that speaker from??

beagleman

Major Contributor

But are you aware, they probably had like 20 lines of speakers, over the last few decades, ranging from very entry level to mid, to high end speakers.

You can not truly comment on them as a whole, without mentioning WHICH you owned. There is such a wide range of price and quality, to make most of their speakers barely comparable to each other.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
But are you aware, they probably had like 20 lines of speakers, over the last few decades, ranging from very entry level to mid, to high end speakers.

You can not truly comment on them as a whole, without mentioning WHICH you owned. There is such a wide range of price and quality, to make most of their speakers barely comparable to each other.

You don't have own that (insert any polk) to know if its odd, weird and/or bad.

For example, The Polk CS175i (not my image):
s-l640.jpg

Gyroscopics

Bought mine $375 new from Adorama 2 years ago when they were clearing out the LSiM line. It could handle power and play loud (85db, 95db peaks) without losing composure in my open-floor plan.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Excuse me for making a statement based on my experience with several Polk speakers. I can comment if I wish but you aren't obliged to listen.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I like the LSiM series but that center would overkill for my S55 towers. I can't bear the thought that a center would be better than my fronts.

Top Bottom