• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trinnov / JBL SDP- 75 vs Alternatives for Streaming Multi-Channel Audio?

SheltonCoolio

I am in the process of building a treated room and a/v system for multi-channel and stereo music from streamed sources and discs. This system will also need to be used for surround sound movies and occasionally for tv.

My current plan is a 5.1 system with (ASR recommended) Benchmark amps and four Revel F226Be speakers along with a recently acquired C426Be. I’ve been struggling with choosing equipment for the streaming and a/v processing part of this system. Having read Kal Rubinson’s many excellent articles on multi-channel music as well as his recent review of the Exasound S88 streamer, I was thinking of getting the S88 and pairing it with the Marantz 8805 (w/ analog bypass for streaming?) or perhaps one of ASR’s more highly rated processors with better room correction.
omegle xender
Recently, I became aware that a Trinnov Altitude is capable of streaming multi-channel audio which would eliminate the need for a separate streamer. Coincidentally, my Revel dealer, (who was aware of my search for a processor), mentioned that he would be able to get some “fantastic” pricing on the JBL SDP-75 and was planning to get one for himself.

Any thoughts on other options or how I should proceed? My ears (as well as spouse’s) are getting old, so underwhelming SINAD measurements are of lesser concern. Of more concern is reliability, “bug” free software, ease of daily use (changing sources) and excellent room correction. It seems that any of my options at this point will cost more than I’d planned but if it sounds great, works well and outlasts me I will be happy. I’ve been pleased with my current stereo system (Bryston 4B power, Classe Thirty pre, Velodyne 10 sub and Magnepan MG10Q R) which was purchased in about 1995 and still works.

PS: My treated room consists of the ceiling and two adjacent walls constructed with Constrained Layer Damping. CLD is a technique I read about in “Premium Home Theater” by Earl Gedlee and is designed to absorb low frequencies without absorbing mid and high frequencies.

Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would wait and see if one of these avoids a broken head panther:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/dirac-in-the-2021-onkyo-avrs.19133/

Otherwise, if you go with speakers with digital inputs, you won't have to worry, though my experience is with an old Dolby professional processor which is very stable (no channels ever cut and all the buttons and controls work perfectly and it's ten years old like my speakers). No wireless remote though so not as user friendly but I use it with an automatic optical switcher that takes care of switching the input.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am in the process of building a treated room and a/v system for multi-channel and stereo music from streamed sources and discs. This system will also need to be used for surround sound movies and occasionally for tv.

My current plan is a 5.1 system with (ASR recommended) Benchmark amps and four Revel F226Be speakers along with a recently acquired C426Be. I’ve been struggling with choosing equipment for the streaming and a/v processing part of this system. Having read Kal Rubinson’s many excellent articles on multi-channel music as well as his recent review of the Exasound S88 streamer, I was thinking of getting the S88 and pairing it with the Marantz 8805 (w/ analog bypass for streaming?) or perhaps one of ASR’s more highly rated processors with better room correction.
omegle xender
Recently, I became aware that a Trinnov Altitude is capable of streaming multi-channel audio which would eliminate the need for a separate streamer. Coincidentally, my Revel dealer, (who was aware of my search for a processor), mentioned that he would be able to get some “fantastic” pricing on the JBL SDP-75 and was planning to get one for himself.

Any thoughts on other options or how I should proceed? My ears (as well as spouse’s) are getting old, so underwhelming SINAD measurements are of lesser concern. Of more concern is reliability, “bug” free software, ease of daily use (changing sources) and excellent room correction. It seems that any of my options at this point will cost more than I’d planned but if it sounds great, works well and outlasts me I will be happy. I’ve been pleased with my current stereo system (Bryston 4B power, Classe Thirty pre, Velodyne 10 sub and Magnepan MG10Q R) which was purchased in about 1995 and still works.

PS: My treated room consists of the ceiling and two adjacent walls constructed with Constrained Layer Damping. CLD is a technique I read about in “Premium Home Theater” by Earl Gedlee and is designed to absorb low frequencies without absorbing mid and high frequencies.
Welcome and please stay

But you should know you are a Prime candidate to and soon member of the FHL ( Frantz Hate List). :p

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

AVphile

My reply is most likely far too late, but -- just in case -- I wanted to mention the Theta Digital Casablanca V. Although costly, it is both a remarkable preamplifier (loaded with digital/HDMI/TOSLink and analog inputs) as well as a state-of-the-art audio processor. I have an extensive system with numerous sources as well as 11 channels, and the CB V handles them all with aplomb.

Should you have already purchased your preamp processor, I would be most interested in which unit you acquired and how you like using it.

Top Bottom