• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS 3000 Micro Subwoofer (announced)

milan616

Forum Donor
Just a thought, but how is this test done on a sub with 2 woofers pointed in opposite directions?

The woofers face away, but you're still measuring the sum output like you would any other sub. Bass frequencies being omni-directional you don't have to worry about directivity like a midwoofer or tweeter would. And if it helps, visualize it like any other sub placed in your room, you have it at some distance from you but all you care is about output at your listening position (in this case the measurement position).

YSC

Major Contributor
but somehow after using the genelec sub, I feel the high pass is so easy to use and useful for integration with mains, the SVS lacked that feels a bit more troublesome

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Few in-room measurements from @joentell (and comparaison Vs the KEF KC62)

Thanks a lot! This is exactly what I was looking for!

A print from his video:

Clipboard01.jpg

The top purple curve is the SVS 3000 Micro, while the curves below are various playback levels of the KEF KC62. The dynamic EQ limiter kicks in hard in the 30 to 80 Hz range where bass is more needed and noticeable in my experience.

Just this weekend I was testing adding an SVS SB-3000 low passed very low at 32 Hz to fill the sub bass from my main speakers. Testing with sine waves it was extending alright below 30Hz to 20 somethings. Then I played lots of bass heavy EDM and acoustic jazz bass, and when I turned off the amplifiers of my main speakers, I could barely hear the sub, even with my ears next to it! The result was kind of surprising and very disappointing: it makes virtually no difference for music!

My testing showed that the most important range is 30 to 80 Hz, which is exactly where the 3000 Micro wins over the KC62.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
That does depend on the loudness that you need/want. At lower levels the KEF is flat and goes more than deep enough for music. This is essentially an apartment subwoofer, and for that it seems to do very well.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That does depend on the loudness that you need/want. At lower levels the KEF is flat and goes more than deep enough for music. This is essentially an apartment subwoofer, and for that it seems to do very well.
Up to 85 dB yes, which is mid high listening levels for me it is ok, but above that it really struggles.

Willem

Major Contributor
Precisely. In a smallish apartment or a typical UK living room where you do not want to annoy the neighbours and where injecting ultra deep bass is pretty pointless given the room modes they would generate in a small room, this is a great but expensive sub. In a large living room in a US style detached house this sub is out of place, and particularly for action movies.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just this weekend I was testing adding an SVS SB-3000 low passed very low at 32 Hz to fill the sub bass from my main speakers. It was extending alright below 30Hz to some 20 somethings. Then I played lots of bass heave EDM or acoustic jazz bass, then I turned off the amplifiers of my main speakers and could barely hear the sub, even with my ears next to it! The result was kind of surprising and very disappointing: it makes virtually no difference!

My testing showed that the most important range is 30 to 80 Hz, which is exactly where the 3000 Micro wins over the KC62.
Sure. I was monitoring the same with my A500 (really capable of 25Hz in my room) yesterday. There was virtually not much musical content below 40Hz over dozens and dozens of tracks I played.

Willem

Major Contributor
However, when I look at the screen on my RME ADI-2 there is indeed quite a bit of low frequency output. However, in many cases the sound improves if you get rid of that.

Last edited:

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The svs micro have international voltage or in the US it's only 120v / 60 Hz?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That only left me with the kef kc62 ... 500 usd more :-(
I am sure there must be a 220-240 V version for European countries.

mike70

I am sure there must be a 220-240 V version for European countries.

Oh yes, but i don't live in Europe. I only want to take advantage for a trip to USA :)
The Kef it's universal voltage ... and i have the R3 speakers ... maybe the Kef it's better for them after all.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh yes, but i don't live in Europe. I only want to take advantage for a trip to USA :)
The Kef it's universal voltage ... and i have the R3 speakers ... maybe the Kef it's better for them after all.
SVS says there is a way to convert the subwoofer from 110V to 220V. Probably has to open the plate and switch a jumper or connect different taps of the transformer, then change the fuse (220V uses a smaller amp fuse). Ask their customer service.

Last edited:

mike70

SVS says there is a way to convert the subwoofer from 110V to 220V. Probably has to open the plate and switch a jumper or connect different taps or the transformer, then change the fuse (220V uses a smaller amp fuse). Ask their customer service.

Great information Matias. Thank you very much.

On the svs web page FAQs i find the following:

"CAN SVS CONFIGURE MY SUBWOOFER FOR 220V ELECTRIC SERVICE?

Yes. If you are ordering a new subwoofer, please make this request at the time of ordering.

SVS can also convert an existing amplifier from 110V to 220V (or from 220V to 110V). Just contact SVS Customer Service for details on how to arrange for the voltage conversion."

Great.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Posting on this thread as well if it interests someone.

These are the frequency response graphs from the SB-2000 Pro (green) and 3000 Micro (purple) from the Specs page of each model on the SVS website. I just superimposed both images for comparison, since both are the same price (800 usd).

Basically the SB-2000 Pro has lots more below 40 Hz.

index.php

YSC

Major Contributor
Posting on this thread as well if it interests someone.

These are the frequency response graphs from the SB-2000 Pro (green) and 3000 Micro (purple) from the Specs page of each model on the SVS website. I just superimposed both images for comparison, since both are the same price (800 usd).

Basically the SB-2000 Pro has lots more below 40 Hz.

index.php
with a much larger driver I think that's quite reasonable?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
with a much larger driver I think that's quite reasonable?
Sure, I am not criticizing the 3000 Micro, I think it is great. I was just pointing out the difference. Where possible, big subs go deeper, where not, the 3000 Micro is just genius. Most music bass happens above 30 Hz anyway.

Top Bottom