• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Major issues with Tesla Model 3

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
They're now going to be removing the windows in airliners, giving the passengers - and pilots - video screens instead.
This will increase the safety and strength of the air frame and make it lighter.
Can't let em view the real world, too traumatic.
But at least you cant't get sucked out a failed LCD :eek:

Cosmik

Major Contributor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
No, but probably for a different reason. When the fully autonomous self driving car is worked out, not long thereafter most people will not own a car. It will no longer be a personal accessory, or a particular experience. You'll dial up a ride on your preferred transportation provider, they'll show up in 5 minutes or less and take you where you are going.
BTW, I much prefer the idea of a future that looks more like these where the individual still is the master and the rush of controlling it still gets damn close to having sex. ;)

star_wars___landspeeder_by_jilub-d2y5hbc.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think people will lose the desire to feel such a rush or to control things like that. I think those things won't be cars however. I would imagine people thought riding horses were so much better than riding cars. You and a powerful animal in a symbiotic relationship that no dead hunk of metal could ever give no matter its capabilities. We know what happened.

I also think there will be a niche for people to use cars/trucks and motorcycles off road. Already in fact, you see less interest in high performance cars among young people than you do off road capable trucks. Ditto for motorcycles. Lots more younger people enjoy dirt bikes with a ton of performance than there are people riding high performance street bikes on the highway.

Even the photos in your last post are imaginary devices that aren't part of The Transportation system for the times.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think people will lose the desire to feel such a rush or to control things like that. I think those things won't be cars however. I would imagine people thought riding horses were so much better than riding cars. You and a powerful animal in a symbiotic relationship that no dead hunk of metal could ever give no matter its capabilities. We know what happened.

I also think there will be a niche for people to use cars/trucks and motorcycles off road. Already in fact, you see less interest in high performance cars among young people than you do off road capable trucks. Ditto for motorcycles. Lots more younger people enjoy dirt bikes with a ton of performance than there are people riding high performance street bikes on the highway.

Even the photos in your last post are imaginary devices that aren't part of The Transportation system for the times.
The problem here is the traffic. When I first bought this house I could drive on the main roads to Oxford and come across maybe 2 or 3 other cars going slower than me which I overtook.
Nowadays I am almost immediately in a stream of cars making it pointless to overtake since I will end up only a few cars ahead of where I am if I don't bother. I used to drive fast cars, I only owned V8s for decades, now I mainly drive a PHV Prius, which I like a lot, surprisingly, and the sports car mainly stays in the garage.
Most people I know who like fast cars now drive them at track days at racing circuits.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

FWIW, riding a mountain-bike offroad can give me a pretty intense adrenaline rush, and much more sense of mastery, than when driving, no matter what the car. If transportation becomes boring and functional, I'm pretty sure people will still find ways to get their kicks.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem here is the traffic. When I first bought this house I could drive on the main roads to Oxford and come across maybe 2 or 3 other cars going slower than me which I overtook.
Nowadays I am almost immediately in a stream of cars making it pointless to overtake since I will end up only a few cars ahead of where I am if I don't bother. I used to drive fast cars, I only owned V8s for decades, now I mainly drive a PHV Prius, which I like a lot, surprisingly, and the sports car mainly stays in the garage.
Most people I know who like fast cars now drive them at track days at racing circuits.

That is true here too. Combined with cars that can get so fast so quickly, and driving interesting cars on public streets simply isn't easy. I've a Miata because it does a good job of being a fun interesting car to drive without having extreme performance. But nothing can make a line of traffic nose to tail fun to drive.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, riding a mountain-bike offroad can give me a pretty intense adrenaline rush, and much more sense of mastery, than when driving, no matter what the car. If transportation becomes boring and functional, I'm pretty sure people will still find ways to get their kicks.

Yes, I know how you feel. Well except for the one time I mis-timed a bunny hop over a log while going about 20 mph. That required a number of stitches in the top of my head and my forehead. My sense of mastery was diminished for awhile after that.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Yes, I know how you feel. Well except for the one time I mis-timed a bunny hop over a log while going about 20 mph. That required a number of stitches in the top of my head and my forehead. My sense of mastery was diminished for awhile after that.

No helmet?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No helmet?

Yes, I was wearing a helmet, and it is one of those situations where I might well have escaped injury had I not had one on.

The front wheel solidly caught the log and near instantly flipped me around on my head. I skidded a few feet on my head. A thumb-size tree branch went into one of the vents on the helmet which caused it to stick and dig into the skin on my head. If not for the helmet it probably would have just bounced away with much less injury. Another similar branch stuck under the lip of the helmet and caused it to tear some skin across my forehead. Again without the helmet I doubt it is more than a shallow scratch. One might think nevertheless the helmet protected from the impact, and that is possible. However this was a pine forest with nearly a foot of accumulated pine straw that was pretty soft just off the path. My head also twisted mostly because of the tail end of the helmet. I had a sore neck with no real damage, but without the leverage of the helmet I don't think my neck would have been as sore either.

Now I'm not anti-helmet. I feel more strongly about their efficacy in mountain biking than street riding. But in this case the helmet did me no favors.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Or the branch might have just stuck in your head...

No not in this case. Nothing about the helmet restricted or held off the branch. It actually gave it purchase to puncture more deeply.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That exact scenario is one I have wondered about. I consider the performance in that situation worse than a fail, it creates danger that is amplified vs the regular driver's reaction. I suppose if one knew those accidents are one of every 1000 accidents and autopilot avoids 995 of all the other kinds it would be a net benefit to drivers overall even if not in this particular scenario. That is giving lots of benefit of doubt unless they have data to that effect however.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The Tesla can't drift a little to the left (US Roadway) and take a peek at what's in front of the car ahead?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom