• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are my Equalizer APO settings correct for HIFIMAN HE400i (2016)?

shaney777

*Using JDS Labs Atom stack

Are my Equalizer APO settings correct for Amir's HIFIMAN HE400i (2016) configuration? (Photo attached)
For the two low shelf, is corner frequency right?
When the DAC is connected, I assume you put the computer volume at 99% (?) and power on these six EQ settings?
Is it working then? Open Amazon Music HD and you're good to go?
I know I am probably missing something.
Is the device and channel config. right?
Anything I need to do in the computer audio settings?
How can I verify for certain that Equalizer APO is actually being applied to the audio?

Lots of questions, yes, but I want it to be right.

Attachments

• HIFIMAN HE400i.jpg
    HIFIMAN HE400i.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 714
Last edited:
OP
S

shaney777

This is without the individual power buttons turned on. With them turned on, it indicates PC usage and has a curved graph, but I genuinely can hear no difference, so I don't know if it's even on. What do I need to do with the .txt file?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd echo the Peace recommendation. Then you can easily toggle it all on/off and check its applying.

aandres_gm

This is without the individual power buttons turned on. With them turned on, it indicates PC usage and has a curved graph, but I genuinely can hear no difference, so I don't know if it's even on. What do I need to do with the .txt file?
The easiest test would be to add a crazy preamp, like -20dB or something. Toggling it on/off will show you whether it is working or not. In order for a file to work, you need to store it in C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config.

If your file is stored there and not having any effect, you can try a different installation parameter or checking which protocol Amazon HD is using to output: ASIO or Exclusive WASAPI won't be affected by APO. Change the protocol to WASAPI shared or DirectSound and the EQ should work.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
S

shaney777

You all are amazing, thank you so much!!! <3

OP
S

shaney777

Telling us what solved the issue in the end is great for the posterity :)
I have not attempted yet since I returned the amp and DAC, but I'll be getting another set soon.

Offler

In the analysis panel you have to switch from confix.txt to "whatever.txt" file you need. Then the line will not be flat.

In some cases the EQ did not worked anyway, I had to rename the EQ file to config.txt, and restart PC to make it work properly.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd echo the Peace recommendation. Then you can easily toggle it all on/off and check its applying.
Sure. Or just use Mega Switcher and be done with it. ;)

It comes with all needed EQ presets (no need to manually add preset data), including many presets that aren't available anywhere else (e.g. Optimum HiFi presets). PEACE is great, but MSW is more suitable to the OP's purpose and it works right out of the box. Performance is of course identical since both are GUIs for EAPO.

OP
S

shaney777

The easiest test would be to add a crazy preamp, like -20dB or something. Toggling it on/off will show you whether it is working or not. In order for a file to work, you need to store it in C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config.

If your file is stored there and not having any effect, you can try a different installation parameter or checking which protocol Amazon HD is using to output: ASIO or Exclusive WASAPI won't be affected by APO. Change the protocol to WASAPI shared or DirectSound and the EQ should work.
I don't notice a difference with -20dB, so I am guessing it's not working. How do I change the protocol? I am not smart enough to figure out this stuff hahaha

aandres_gm

I don't notice a difference with -20dB, so I am guessing it's not working. How do I change the protocol? I am not smart enough to figure out this stuff hahaha
It seems Amazon can't use any exclusive modes, so there's nothing you can change there.

Are you sure the EQ file is stored in the right folder? You can also try messing with the installation parameters, perhaps that's the issue.

OP
S

shaney777

You said there is no way to change the Amazon protocols? I have the file stored in the right area now.

OP
S

shaney777

I got it!! I know it's working because the volume is quite lower with the EQ in effect. Thank y'all again!!

Top Bottom