• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Atom Amp+ Review (Headphone Amplifier)

3125b

Major Contributor
The first one was more than good enough, still very happy with mine, but it's nice to see them improving it even further while keeping the price at 99$.

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Would cleaning up that 60Hz hum in the output improve SINAD? If so, and it were flat, what's your guess for the new SINAD? Or is the limiting factor here the gentleness of the slope around the base of the 1kHz tone?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Would cleaning up that 60Hz hum in the output improve SINAD? If so, and it were flat, what's your guess for the new SINAD? Or is the limiting factor here the gentleness of the slope around the base of the 1kHz tone?
Answer is no. The SINAD is noise dominated, resistor thermal noise.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just waiting for the JDS to update the Element II with a "pro" version to include the AES and XLR input options - that volume knob is so great Screenshot 2021-07-02 092930.png

modes

Somebody, the EU perhaps? should cancel those nasty wasteful EI transformers. I use a tiny 14.4V toroidal from a 1990's ikea spotlight...drops my heresy's quiescent draw to 1.8W - instead of the obnoxious 3.8W of the stock transformer. A hp amp is something many keep running 24/7...over time the waste adds up.

jams3223

the only downside to the jds is the plastic casing, does it still have the same case also it's better than topping e30 why ? you ask, it doesn't sacrifice power for super clean signal while you can get the same cleanness with the high pass input filter on the jds now you get better power efficiency with high impedance headphone compared to the topping which sacrifice gain for cleanness which you can barely add gain to a high impedance headphone and incredible channel balance with very good power performance to drive most headphone without a problem and also with safety capacitor in the circuit to prevent from blowning up you headphone compared to the topping l30 and old shitt stuff and if shiit audio can fix the channel imbalance and bad headphone impedence problem and add a high pass filter it would probably beat out the jds but the jds win every ground without sacrificing any big factors.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
the only downside to the jds is the plastic casing, does it still have the same case also it's better than topping e30 why ? you ask, it doesn't sacrifice power for super clean signal while you can get the same cleanness with the high pass input filter on the jds now you get better power efficiency with high impedance headphone compared to the topping which sacrifice gain for cleanness which you can barely add gain to a high impedance headphone and incredible channel balance with very good power performance to drive most headphone without a problem and also with safety capacitor in the circuit to prevent from blowning up you headphone compared to the topping l30 and old shitt stuff and if shiit audio can fix the channel imbalance and bad headphone impedence problem and add a high pass filter it would probably beat out the jds but the jds win every ground without sacrificing any big factors.
L30 has the most advanced protection scheme in the price range. Atom doesn't have any protection other than supply rail sensing. New schiit IEMagni has DC protection now, but still suspect to ESD failure.

Swtoby

L30 has the most advanced protection scheme in the price range. Atom doesn't have any protection other than supply rail sensing. New schiit IEMagni has DC protection now, but still suspect to ESD failure.
Not initially it didn't. That amp seemed to have a rough start. The Atom has been in the field a bit and if it suffered the same failure rate like the L30 did we would have heard about it by now.

jams3223

if it has power current protection it seems to be recently as topping l30 gave a lot of problems by blowing up headphone also they sacrifice a lot of gain for cleanness i had one bought 4 months ago and it didn't provide enough gain to high impedance headphones as the atom did i don't if it changed now since they keep on changing the component since topping is a experimental Chinese company that works based on customers review

DanTheMan

I'm actually angry that they didn't increase the price but they did increase performance. I have to console myself with the fact that they are just more inaudible than my version of the Atom. Once a truck fits under the underpass, it doesn't matter by how much. Still it makes me angry. I don't want to buy this for no reason other than an irrational desire to have 'better' performance in the same form factor. I think I will just start an internet rumor under a pseudonym that the original version has some sort of magical sound characteristic. That will make it all better.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm actually angry that they didn't increase the price but they did increase performance. I have to console myself with the fact that they are just more inaudible than my version of the Atom. Once a truck fits under the underpass, it doesn't matter by how much. Still it makes me angry. I don't want to buy this for no reason other than an irrational desire to have 'better' performance in the same form factor. I think I will just start an internet rumor under a pseudonym that the original version has some sort of magical sound characteristic. That will make it all better.
Call them up and ask if you can upgrade by exchanging your old unit. They are a group of enthusiasts rather than a soulless corporation. The worst they will tell you is 'no'.

Brianc

Call them up and ask if you can upgrade by exchanging your old unit. They are a group of enthusiasts rather than a soulless corporation. The worst they will tell you is 'no'.
I thought about selling my Atom and getting the new one. I guess if I could get 60 or 70 I'd do it. Maybe.

Top Bottom