• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70s MQA Review (DAC)

xmal

So I'm experiencing some issues with the D70s while playing MQA from Tidal. I have it connected via USB directly to a Windows 10 machine running the Tidal desktop app (Also tried USB to a Raspberry Pi 3+ running Volumio). For some odd reason, when I play a 'master' track I either get 44.1khz or 96khz most of the time or 192khz on the rare occasion, but never 48khz or 88.2khz.... The DAC shows MQA on the OLED display but everything labelled 'master' should give me at least 48khz, 88.2khz, 92khz or 192khz.

I can't figure out what's wrong, even with my DX7s I can get 48khz or 88.2khz with the Tidal software decoding.

I have the passthrough MQA setting turned on, the newest 1.30 firmware on the D70s and the latest drivers.

Any help would be appreciated!

just so we are doing that same on the Tidal App the third row "Passthrough MQA" slider is slid to the right and is lilac in colour?

TBH, most of what is rendered on the MQA is outputting at 441kHz.

buggyglint

just so we are doing that same on the Tidal App the third row "Passthrough MQA" slider is slid to the right and is lilac in colour?

Yes, on the Tidal windows app I have the "Passthrough MQA" slider turned on.
On my RP3 with Volumio, I have the "Master Quality (MQA)" turned on and the sound quality setting "Highest Possible".

I'm beginning to think, maybe there is no real 88.2khz content on Tidal? I do seem to get 96khz and 192khz. It's just odd to me that I get a lot of 44.1khz/24bit, is that even considered hi-res?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I should add that when using Bluetooth, it seems to perform audibly no better than my $130 BluDento HD. But since the D70s has Bluetooth built-in and I can use the remote to switch it, I have moved the BluDento on to other usage.
One thing that I can do easier with the BluDento than with the D70s is volume control. When streaming from my iPhone to the BluDento, I can control volume using my phone’s volume control, just like I can with wireless headphones.

The D70s does not seem to allow this in either preamp or DAC mode. If I reduce the volume on my phone too low, the DAC shuts off output. Raising the volume on my phone has no impact on DAC output volume. It’s a minor issue, but now I have to use a remote to control BT volume whereas I only had to use the phone previously.

RFox

The D70s does measure better, but again, those differences are near the threshold of hearing in non-laboratory conditions. I'd be very surprised if anyone could tell the two apart in a blind test at home. If you want MQA or Bluetooth, then it's definitely an upgrade. But you should definitely not worry about the D70s sounding significantly better than the DX7; it won't.
I've been back and forth debating between the DX7Pro and the D70s - both are same price right now! I'm trying to replace an older Fiio E09k/E17 combination driving Adam Audio A5Xs and a Sub7 (2.1 config) - Been doing much research, and I know I won't being using the headphone amp in the DX7Pro that often - mostly driving my active monitors using USB source. Short of ordering them both and testing them - I'm really torn which one is the better "bang for the buck" here . . . Any tips or hints would be welcome! Stay Safe!

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been back and forth debating between the DX7Pro and the D70s - both are same price right now! I'm trying to replace an older Fiio E09k/E17 combination driving Adam Audio A5Xs and a Sub7 (2.1 config) - Been doing much research, and I know I won't being using the headphone amp in the DX7Pro that often - mostly driving my active monitors using USB source. Short of ordering them both and testing them - I'm really torn which one is the better "bang for the buck" here . . . Any tips or hints would be welcome! Stay Safe!
If you need a headphone jack at all, get the DX7Pro. If not, get the newer D70s. Any difference you think you will hear will largely be your imagination.

[QUOTE = "Dallas2122, post: 808158, membro: 32860"]
Eu possuía theDenafrips pontus mk2 que era muito bom, esse é no par dos anos 70 tem um detalhe um pouco melhor. e se você fizer o pedido, gaste os $ 23 extras para um frete mais rápido que recebi em 4 dias da China, DHL expresso, excelentemente embalado.
Tell me the differences you found between the D70s and the Pontus II, which system did you use for this comparison???

[QUOTE = "MBL'er, post: 824524, membro: 25481"] O mesmo. Fiquei fascinado com o conceito R2R.

Então um amigo que projeta e constrói amplificadores valvulados comprou e dissecou um D70S (depois de quase dissecar meu Soncoz SGD1) e me aconselhou a comprar o D70S - o que eu fiz.

Algumas semanas atrás outro amigo colocou à venda um Yggdrasil e um Pontus (irmão maior de Ares) e nós, ou seja, eu e meu amigo de tubo, fizemos um extenso teste cego, nivelado e subjetivo de D70S, Yggdrasil e Pontus. O tipo de teste que algumas pessoas adoram odiar.

Pontus saiu muito mal em comparação com o D70S em TODAS as "métricas". Devo admitir que fiquei secretamente desapontado, pois me esforcei muito para que o Pontus estivesse preparado para comprá-lo. Mas não houve correspondência com o D70S. Suponho que o Ares atue no mesmo estádio.

Portanto, estou feliz com o D70S.

M [/ QUOTE]
Conte-me as diferenças que você encontrou entre o D70s e o Pontus II, qual sistema você usou para essa comparação ???

Is it fine to connect pair of headphones into RCA output using adapter?
(25 Ohm, 94 dB/mW)

DeepSpace57

I have been playing with D70S for a while. I wanna say this is the best hifi thing I have ever purchased so far!

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So I'm experiencing some issues with the D70s while playing MQA from Tidal. I have it connected via USB directly to a Windows 10 machine running the Tidal desktop app (Also tried USB to a Raspberry Pi 3+ running Volumio). For some odd reason, when I play a 'master' track I either get 44.1khz or 96khz most of the time or 192khz on the rare occasion, but never 48khz or 88.2khz.... The DAC shows MQA on the OLED display but everything labelled 'master' should give me at least 48khz, 88.2khz, 92khz or 192khz.

I can't figure out what's wrong, even with my DX7s I can get 48khz or 88.2khz with the Tidal software decoding.

I have the passthrough MQA setting turned on, the newest 1.30 firmware on the D70s and the latest drivers.

Any help would be appreciated!

It's only because there not so many albums mixed/mastered with these formats, but there are some :

88.2 kHz
Sam Smith MQA format.PNG

48 kHz (album is mixed, 48 and 44.1 depending on who mixed each song)
Dua Lipa MQA format.PNG

As a general rule, core decoder (done by the app if Passthrough is off, or the DAC if on) will double the MQA file sample rate, even if the original master had 44.1 or 48 kHz sample rate.
Then, rendering if needed for orginal master with more than 96 kHz SR is done by the DAC to increase the sample rate up to the original one.
There's no content decoded and added as the MQA encoding has low pass filter at 96 kHz max (so max audio content is 48 kHz).

MQA 16/44.1 (that are replacing 16/44.1 FLAC on the HiFi setting, without them specify it) - decoding -> 24/88.2 stream
MQA 24/44.1 - decoding 24/44.1 -> 24/88.2 stream
MQA 24/48 - decoding 24/48 -> 24/96 stream
MQA 24/88.2 - decoding 24/44.1 -> 24/88.2 stream
MQA 24/96 - decoding 24/48 -> 24/96 stream
MQA 24/176.4 - decoding 24/44.1 -> 24/88.2 stream -> rendering to 24/176.4
MQA 24/192 - decoding 24/48 -> 24/96 stream -> rendering to 24/192
MQA 24/356.8 - decoding 24/44.1 -> 24/88.2 stream -> rendering to 24/356.8
MQA 24/384 - decoding 24/48 -> 24/96 stream -> rendering to 24/384 (never saw this last format on Tidal)

No, the DAC is showing the SR of the original master that was used to create to MQA file, not the SR once the MQA file was processed by the app/DAC

pdeklerck

Dear, your review inspired me to buy the Topping D70s. Attached to the most recent Bluesound Node, a Krell amplifier and a couple of Focal Utopia Diva’s, it produces an amazing sound: a fantastic brightness, a neutral sound, rich on details and an improved stereo sound. Extremely satisfied!

MacCali

Major Contributor
Hmmmmm D70 or D70s...? I have no need for MQA, seems like this one measures better, cant find any review on just the D70 :(

Found d70 nvm, it wasn't popping on advanced search :)

Veri

Master Contributor
Hmmmmm D70 or D70s...? I have no need for MQA, seems like this one measures better, cant find any review on just the D70 :(
IMO D70s is a good bit better. But you can probably find a good deal on the 'older' D70.

Peternz

Same. I was fascinated by the R2R concept.

Then a friend who design and builds tube amps bought and dissected a D70S (after having almost dissected my Soncoz SGD1), and advidsed me to buy the D70S - which I did.

A few weeks ago another friend put for sale an Yggdrasil and a Pontus (Ares' bigger brother) and we, i.e. myself and my tube friend, made an extensive blind, level matched and subjective test of D70S, Yggdrasil and Pontus. The type of test some people love to hate.

Pontus came out very badly compared to the D70S on ALL "metrics". I must admit I was secretely disappointed, as I tried hard to like the Pontus being prepared to buy it. But there was no match with the D70S. I suppose the Ares performs in the same ballpark.

Therefore, I am happily stuck with the D70S.

M

I got my D70S a few days ago and I could not be more pleased. The sound is just gorgeous, sweet and musical. The build quality and functionality is outstanding.

I do recommend using it in DAC mode with the XLR output. The XLR output seems to sound more interesting/dynamic than the RCA output. So, almost perfect apart from a slightly soft sound from the RCA output.

I have never understood the hype about the Yggdrasil, and the Pontus seems a bit experimental to me and very expensive.

I can see myself enjoying music from this DAC for many years to come.

Top Bottom