• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Oratory1990 has REMEASURED a load of headphones and updated his pdf's

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure the previous score was 67 on Oratory's pdf? Or are you getting that number from AutoEQ's ranking table?
Oh yeah, they don't always match when you compare them between the two. You'd think they should match because isn't the Preference Score an algorithm created by Olive/Toole, therefore it should be the same between the two? On the rare occasions I've compared Preference Score it's never matched.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have the original PDF. All I can say is that the new score matches my subjective impression of listening to one unit.

The new score suggests a large unit variation. Apparently the score gets very high when all his measured units are averaged.

I'm not sure how helpful his classifications of some headphones are. I assume when he measures subsequent units of items like the DT880 that comes in a range of impedances he is averaging 600 ohm and 600 ohm versions for example, not 600 ohm with 32 ohm or 250. But even then, which flavour are the charts referring to initially? The Beyer range is vast and the only distinction he makes on his listings is fresh or worn pads and one labelled as Black edition.

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure how helpful his classifications of some headphones are. I assume when he measures subsequent units of items like the DT880 that comes in a range of impedances he is averaging 600 ohm and 600 ohm versions for example, not 600 ohm with 32 ohm or 250. But even then, which flavour are the charts referring to initially? The Beyer range is vast and the only distinction he makes on his listings is fresh or worn pads and one labelled as Black edition.
I googled it just now to search Oratory's reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/comments/d4lk1i He says:
The thing with the different impedances is that the difference between individual impedance versions is smaller than the unit variance of individual units of the same model.

Meaning: if you take ten DT770 with 250 Ohm then the difference between all of them will be bigger than the difference between the average DT770-250 and the average DT770-80.

Only the 32 Ohm version is tuned differently with a bit more bass then the other versions.

This is based on my measurements of a few dozen DT770 and DT990s as well as talks with Beyerdynamic.
So basically the differences are small and less than unit to unit variation, with perhaps exception of the 32 ohm version. Don't know if this is true of all Beyer headphones.

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Folks, just received my 2nd K702 back from Oratory today, delivered today.....a hassle free experience and no damage to the headphones....I urge you folks to send in your own headphones to Oratory regardless of whether he's measured your model or not already, because you'll get your own personalised measurements from him too which will allow you do to your own EQ for your specific unit....he may even do an EQ just for your specific unit but I don't know about that, you'd have to ask him if he does that, I'm just thinking of the possible benefits. He's often open to measuring more units of a headphone he's already measured, but of course you'll have to ask him to be sure.....hassle free experience though.....contact him & send him your headphones and do your bit to expand the database or to increase the accuracy of already measured models. He's in Austria....for any postal considerations. It cost me £13 to send him my headphones from the UK via a speedy signed/tracked/guaranteed service, and cost me about the same in return postage (which he organises re return postage). Go on.....send him your headphones, do your bit!!!:D

Sombreuil

Not sure where to ask that. Does anyone have an EQ preset for the Superlux HD 330? Couldn't file it on Oratory's Github page.
I thought I could EQ them to match the DT770's results, but according to @solderdude (Here), they don't sound the same, at all.

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any idea which version of the Arya the current EQ is intended for? It just says Hifiman Arya (doesn't indicate stealth or v2 etc). Edit: I'm referring to this profile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lpakp0jc4deruwr/Hifiman Arya (RME ADI-2 preset).pdf?dl=0
Go ahead & ask the dude over on reddit, he's very receptive to answering questions on his reddit, ask him publicly on there in his weekly questions thread, as he gets way too many PM's/ DM's, but public good questions get answered:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/comments/vfpfi9

DeckEQMaybe?

I made this account just to say THANK YOU!! to 01890jp and Robbo - this low shelf +3db at 75 freq with -3 preamp is the greatest thing for this HD600. I admit I haven't tried a lot of EQ's with these headphones, but I like this so much more than Oratory. Even Oratory I think on a YouTube video I saw mentioned he wouldn't add an EQ to these headphones because it ruins the sound basically. But this low shelf just makes the bass better, and keeps the headphones sounding amazing. I totally agree with 01890jp that this basically makes the headphones incredible. I want to thank 01890jp for having the idea to begin with and Robbo for putting in the extra effort to get it perfect. You two are legends to me. This is awesome! I feel like everyone that has these headphones needs to try this. To the point where Oratory should add this as an optional set up as this is the perfect conservative fix.

Last edited:

01890jp

I made this account just to say THANK YOU!! to 01890jp and Robbo - this low shelf +3db at 75 freq with -3 preamp is the greatest thing for this HD600. I admit I haven't tried a lot of EQ's with these headphones, but I like this so much more than Oratory. Even Oratory I think on a YouTube video I saw mentioned he wouldn't add an EQ to these headphones because it ruins the sound basically. But this low shelf just makes the bass better, and keeps the headphones sounding amazing. I totally agree with 01890jp that this basically makes the headphones incredible. I want to thank 01890jp for having the idea to begin with and Robbo for putting in the extra effort to get it perfect. You two are legends to me. This is awesome! I feel like everyone that has these headphones needs to try this. To the point where Oratory should add this as an optional set up as this is the perfect conservative fix.
So great to hear, glad you're enjoying it! The 600s are so neutral, they really don't need anything else. I do also experiment with lowering 3500 by a couple of dbs and raising 5800 a couple of dbs for some recordings. Maybe even 200hz by 1 db but these are such small tweaks and they're really not needed...only when I'm in a tweaking mood lol. I also have an HD 560s that I can eq to sound similar to my 600s with the added benefit of some extra soundstage but there's something special about the 600s.

DeckEQMaybe?

So great to hear, glad you're enjoying it! The 600s are so neutral, they really don't need anything else. I do also experiment with lowering 3500 by a couple of dbs and raising 5800 a couple of dbs for some recordings. Maybe even 200hz by 1 db but these are such small tweaks and they're really not needed...only when I'm in a tweaking mood lol. I also have an HD 560s that I can eq to sound similar to my 600s with the added benefit of some extra soundstage but there's something special about the 600s.

Yes thanks for your thoughts. I will consider doing a/b testing on some of your tweaks sometime, but yeah I probably don't need to when it sounds this good! Now it's the classic question of will I stop here? Or will I feel the desire to jump up a price point and get a 2nd great set of headphones that give me a different sound? But then I read things like how well these can still compete on most music genres even with headphones at a more expensive price point. I'm sure there is a tier that does what this does even better, but is it worth the money? Hard to know. I do know for now...I love these. If I ever do get another set of headphones in the future, I'll have to consider what is going to give me a different sound.

DeckEQMaybe?

Just wanted to add one thing about the HD600 for anyone that is curious. I love the tweak described a few posts above as 'The HD600 conservative EQ fix for most music'. Adds that nice sub bass without ruining the rest of the headphone sound. The Oratory EQ for the HD600 is still amazing for orchestra music where I want a clean sound and clearly hear everything. Where I think the conservative fix described above might be worse for orchestra (seems like it isn't as clean). So having both options to flip back and forth creates an incredible music experience no matter what you're listening to. This might have saved me money from thinking I need another headphone right now as these things seem even more perfect than before now. Anything that needs cleaner sound with multiple instruments might still be great with Oratory EQ. Wanted to put that out there.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
is it closed or just unavailable for some time?
Here's word from the developer:
Screenshot_20230109-113046_Discord.png

Top Bottom