• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Trell

Major Contributor
This thing is $349.99 and a dollar in the US gets you slightly more than a Euro buys in Europe. I just didn't understand why you thought something that is $349.99 here would be less than 350 Euro there.

Actually, I'm a bit surprised that the price of the unit is only 350 Euro when the US price is $349.99. In EU states there is a value-added-tax of up to 25% (depending on country) that is required to be shown when buying the unit in EU (from Amazon, say), while sales taxes are not that common in USA or at least much lower as I understand it.

uppsju

I am curious as to what people think of the EX5 compared to the DX 7 Pro? I've been using the DX7 Pro in my living room and been very happy with it. However, if I could recommend the EX5 over the DX7 Pro to friends looking at a similar setup they could save 300 bucks. At first glance it seems the only thing lost would be the IIS-LVDS and AES input which I don't use myself (or even know how to use).

I saw a couple of comments here about issues buying from shenzhenaudio. I can honestly say, having bought three devices from there (SMSL SU-8, DX3 Pro and DX7 Pro) that shipping has been quick to Switzerland. I've also had to deal with customer services over the DX3 Pro which developed an issue with the headphone output, and they sent me the replacement plus refunded my shipping for the faulty unit. Much better service than I've had with most companies where returns were involved.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone taken the plunge and ordered an EX5 yet? I'm considering replacing my D50s/A50s/P50 stack with one, mainly to get balanced outputs for my monitors (which I hope will remove my ground loop issues). I also like the idea of a larger volume knob, the one on the A50s is a little fiddly. I have a 2nd A50s and I could connect that to the RCA output of the EX5 to retain access to a balanced headphone connection.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it just me or the EX5 cannibalized the DX7 Pro?
- DX7 Pro has IIS and AES-EBU inputs.
- DAC SINAD both are in the same excellent level.
- Similar low jitter in USB (slightly worst jitter on the EX5 for other digital inputs).
- EX5 has slightly higher SNR for IEMs.
- EX5 1/4" headphone amp has more power and lower THD+N in both 300 and 32 ohms impedances.
- EX5 has lower output impedance.
- And most important: EX5 350 usd x 600 usd DX7 Pro

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sample rate and DSD/PCM only, no bit depth.

ex5.jpg

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
While I already put in my order for this, I'm curious if anyone has a manual?

Also Amir or anyone else who's tested, is the line output volume set differently from the preamp output volume? Hoping so.

SHENZHENAUDIO

Dealer
Canadians would rather not buy from amazon.com because we'll be charged brokerage and duty fees. Any chance you guys are gonna look into fixing your .ca account?
Oh, Admin forgot the duties, yep, it sucks! I have phrased to our amazon team, let's see.

SHENZHENAUDIO

Dealer

SHENZHENAUDIO

Dealer
I will wait until it's available as an Amazon Prime Order on Amazon.de. Also the price was translated 1:1 in Euros, it's 350€, which is kind of more expensive than I expected.
But still thanks for the link, it's weird that the device can't be found with the normal search function.
It might be because of the new listing, that it is difficult to be searched normally, but it seems to works now.

jsheard

I see the EX5 is currently fulfilled by SHENZHENAUDIO directly when ordered from Amazon

Will it be distributed to Amazon warehouses in the future, so Amazon can handle fulfilment/returns locally?

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
This is £350 from Amazon U.K., and £261 from Ali Express.

Are there any particular reasons forbuying from one rather than the other, other than price?

Will I get hit for VAT and/or import duty from either or both of those? Returns? Warranties?

Cheers.

Top Bottom